Feedback on anesthesiology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRNickiTay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year medical student and would like to go into Anesthesiology. I am interested in applying to Mayo (first choice), University of Colorado, Maine, Oregon College of Health Sciences, University of Vermont, University of Conn., University of Michigan and University of Wisconsin. I would very much like feedback regarding these programs and any hints in planning my fourth year rotations. Should I attempt to complete clerkships at 3 or more of these programs? Any input would be great this is my first post. Thanks! Nichole

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply to the University of Colorado--it's a bad program. I was there for a year back in '90. They have a high turnover of faculty, don't put out any real research, and there is constant strife between faculty. I've kept in touch with the former chairman--Dr. Charles Gibbs.

OHSU just got a new chairman who had been the residency director at Hopkins for awhile. as a result, he is very aware of resident education and makes it a priority. trying to increase the size of the residency from 6-7/year to 9/year.
ohsu has traditionally been a little weak in ICU, but now they are moving to recruit some intensivists and take over the cardiac SICU. clinically, the faculty are excellent in the or. research will pick up now that the new chair has arrived.

Keep your eye on this place, it's going to be amazing....:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DRNickiTay
... I am interested in applying to Mayo (first choice), University of Colorado, Maine, Oregon College of Health Sciences, University of Vermont, University of Conn., University of Michigan and University of Wisconsin...

Yo Arizona girl... are you starting to yearn for snow? You'll get a lot of it at these places...

I can only speak to a couple of the ones you have listed.

UConn: I think that UConn is an unknown gem of a program. I both visited the program and subsequently returned to interview there. The residents, faculty & staff were extremely friendly and conveyed a sincere, vested interest in teaching their residents to the best of their ability. The PD, Dr. Paluso, is very young and energetic. I think that this makes him an aggressive PD, but one who is still very open to the input of the residents that he manages.

The Admin Coordinator, Betsy Holden, was extraordinary! I have the previledge of her touring me about both the Hartfor Hosp and the UConn facility when I was only visiting the program. She has been one of the most helpful Admin people in my interviewing experience... and that is a huge credit as I have had many very positive experiences with the Admin/Coordinator people so far.

Hartford Hosp, CT Children's and John Dempsey (UConn) Med Center all appeared to be superb facilities. There is a massive volume of anesthetics administered through these places. These three comprise the more academic arm of the program. Also part of the program is the St. Francis Med Center, where the model is more typical of private practice. So, through UConn's program you get trained in an academic center environment and still have the benefit of extensive exposure to real-world, private practice.

Maine Medical in Portland: this program is definitely geared toward someone who seeks to learn to function in a high volume, private practice environment. There is minimal research & academia going on here...if you seek those avenues, then this is not the program for you. The Docs are virtually all fellowship trained ex-academians who left that environment to be clinicians and to teach...that is straight from the mouth of one of the attendings. I found to virtually all be engaging, friendly and enthusiastic about their program. The residents all appeared to be equally happy & enthused.

Portland is awesome little city in Maine. If you have ever been to Maine, you know that it is simply one of the most gorgeous places in the US if you are into the out-of-doors type activites. Portland offers more culture than you would expect in a town this small. And, you will always have loads of "lob-stah" available to eat! You are close to virtually everything from Portland...of course, in New England, you can't be too far from anywhere else in NE!