Feedback on Job offer .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted310399

I’ll get straight to it .

Location - bad ( as in almost unlivable ) . Rural town in the south . I’ll be living in a desirable area 2.5 hours away.

Supply demand - in my favor . They have had a hard time recruiting and 2 of the mid levels have quit this year. The inpatient unit is being staffed by Locums exclusively right now .

Current position - I’m finishing my J1 waiver job and have less than 2 months to go .

Offer - exclusively OP . 4 days/week . Monday to Thursday . TelePsych full time . Base - 236k + 25k quality ( I always meet it ) + 6.5k for CME + 47$ for every rvu over 3800 ( tough to meet due to no shows in clinic ) .

Weekends - one weekend is on the house . I can do extra weekends for 2300 if I do atleast 10 calls per month. 400 for every after 5 home call over 10 calls also . Home calls usually chill .

What do you guys think ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think they need to pay at least 20k more base pay, IF you lived there. The commute sounds horrible. I can find 10 jobs like this without trying.
Edit: sorry, didn't see this is telepsych. Sounds okay but I'd still want 20k more

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is confusing. If it's 100% telepsych why does location matter? Do you mean weekend calls must be in person (i.e. covering inpatient?)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I reading that this involves 10 nights a month call without compensation? And then 1 weekend without compensation to just do another weekend for 2300 dollars for 48 hours?

Quality measures are incentives and salary in my view.The low pay may be the reason for hard to recruit.I would not personally do weekends without pay especially if I am in hard to recruit area.

This is confusing. If it's 100% telepsych why does location matter? Do you mean weekend calls must be in person (i.e. covering inpatient?)

- I highlighted location to explain why recruiting has been so hard . I don’t even live there now and drive an hour to work .
- Inpatient is usually 8-10 patients so not horrible .
- Yes , unfortunately 10 calls are without compensation before they start paying you . 2300/weekend , 400/home call after 5 , 1200/one day of work ( example holidays ).

There is also the elephant in this room, the J1 status. Is the OP in possession of GC? or will this new job provide GC? Does this person want a GC? or is this another job requiring a VISA?

These details may make job negatives less important.

There is also the elephant in this room, the J1 status. Is the OP in possession of GC? or will this new job provide GC? Does this person want a GC? or is this another job requiring a VISA?

These details may make job negatives less important.

I will be on Visa to begin with but hoping to change to a family based GC within a year . Work will Not need to sponsor it .

Sorry, still confused. No pay for 10 calls. Does this mean they can randomly pick you for any of the 10 calls per month? What if the 10 calls are all on weekends with which you'd have to do 5 hour commutes each time? Or do they assign the home calls?

This job is decent at face value if the calls are separate (i.e. 250k for full time rural telepsych at 40 hours, 4x10 days a week, no call no weekend). With call things are lots dicey--you'd likely be unhappy no matter how they cut it. I would negotiate away the 10 free calls to be optional, then negotiate the call rates separately on a volunteer basis. Frankly on a clinical level, it's really best if they have inpatient locums cover the weekend inpatient also, since many will already be the admitting person for that week, instead of randomly pulling someone from a totally different service.

I bet the issue right now with this facility is nobody wants to do inpatient work, which is fair. They need to up the ante on call/inpatient work to meet the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
10 unpaid calls equals 48k for 1 year. I unpaid weekend for 12 months is 28.8k. So besides low base pay that is 68.8 k of call work.

My assessment is based on the VISA requirement. It appears to be a job within an acceptable range to not run afoul of federal laws for VISA employees.
Options are less ideal for VISA jobs. If its good enough, take it, and then once the family based GC is in hand re-evaluate if you want to pursue a better option.

You could potentially re-evaluate sooner if you have the work EAD permit in hand before the GC presuming you are doing marriage based, but some employers might be wary of taking on the uncertainty of the annual requirements related to the EAD card.

Sorry, still confused. No pay for 10 calls. Does this mean they can randomly pick you for any of the 10 calls per month? What if the 10 calls are all on weekends with which you'd have to do 5 hour commutes each time? Or do they assign the home calls?

This job is decent at face value if the calls are separate (i.e. 250k for full time rural telepsych at 40 hours, 4x10 days a week, no call no weekend). With call things are lots dicey--you'd likely be unhappy no matter how they cut it. I would negotiate away the 10 free calls to be optional, then negotiate the call rates separately on a volunteer basis. Frankly on a clinical level, it's really best if they have inpatient locums cover the weekend inpatient also, since many will already be the admitting person for that week, instead of randomly pulling someone from a totally different service.

I bet the issue right now with this facility is nobody wants to do inpatient work, which is fair. They need to up the ante on call/inpatient work to meet the market.

The 10 calls are entirely optional . If I don't decide to take extra call then it comes out to about 6 home calls plus the weekend . They assign the home calls and I can choose the dates to a large degree . The only time I would have to actually go in is on the weekends which I am okay with . Home calls are telephone only and usually not bad . I've had after 5 calls where I didn't get any calls for the whole time.

The agreement is that I would have to do 10 unpaid home calls ( the weekend we work " on the house " counts as 2 days of call for this purpose ) and any additional call work after this gets paid .

I hope that clears up the confusion man .

One unpaid weekend call a month trips me up--It's an unusual arrangement in psychiatry IMO, and I'd want it to be either optional or get paid extra. But if you are okay with it I suppose the actual job isn't terrible in and of itself, as you get 3 days off per week most of the weeks. Greencard is a big factor, but I'm not knowledgable on this. Agree with sushirolls--the job isn't the best you can get but isn't bad enough that we'd take one look at it and say run. Maybe get the greencard situation settled and then re-evaluate.

One unpaid weekend call a month trips me up--It's an unusual arrangement in psychiatry IMO, and I'd want it to be either optional or get paid extra. But if you are okay with it I suppose the actual job isn't terrible in and of itself, as you get 3 days off per week most of the weeks. Greencard is a big factor, but I'm not knowledgable on this. Agree with sushirolls--the job isn't the best you can get but isn't bad enough that we'd take one look at it and say run. Maybe get the greencard situation settled and then re-evaluate.

Thanks for the feedback .