Feedback on what I should be feeling/doing during first week of med school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsATrap!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, started med school Monday. I"I've already decided that staying home and watching lectures is much better (our lecturers talk entirely too fast).

I feel like I'm understanding the big picture/concepts, but I'm struggling with the details.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what is "average" for retention rates. For those upper classmen out there, do you ever feel like you actually got something? How long does it take?

Sorry that this is so poorly worded...

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, started med school Monday. I"I've already decided that staying home and watching lectures is much better (our lecturers talk entirely too fast).

I feel like I'm understanding the big picture/concepts, but I'm struggling with the details.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what is "average" for retention rates. For those upper classmen out there, do you ever feel like you actually got something? How long does it take?

If you get the big picture stuff you should be fine just pay attention to the small stuff your prof emphasizes during lecture

Reactions: 1 users
Layer. Repetition is key.
Big picture -> Some details -> Most details -> majority of details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Layer. Repetition is key.
Big picture -> Some details -> Most details -> majority of details.

That's promising. The material isn't hard. I understand the concepts as I learn them, I just don't feel like any of it is sticking.

I'm trying to condense our 17 page lecture handouts to 2 or so pages, then I am working on turning those condensed versions into anki cards (so, the anki part has sort of gotten sidetracked to watch more lectures, but it's on tomorrow). Hopefully that helps.

The sucky part is I have to retain to some degree before I understand. I was thinking it was the other way around. After that it becomes more and more about the details.

That's promising. The material isn't hard. I understand the concepts as I learn them, I just don't feel like any of it is sticking.

I'm trying to condense our 17 page lecture handouts to 2 or so pages, then I am working on turning those condensed versions into anki cards (so, the anki part has sort of gotten sidetracked to watch more lectures, but it's on tomorrow). Hopefully that helps.

The majority of material in medical school isn't hard, it's the quantity and then the being able to keep up with it on time.

After week one, you shouldnt expect much. That's not enough to time to judge your study plan, your ability to retain material, or your ability to understand anything really.

I'm with Nontrad, go meet your classmates before you truly fall into an study hole you can't climb out of.

Reactions: 1 user
Repetition drives learning.
Go check out my post on guide to med student success

I suspect that you know it when you take practice questions and don't feel ambushed by the questions. Ditto for flash cards, or when you friends ask you questions.

Reactions: 1 user