Medical Feeling A Bit Lost - am I on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 2nd year premedical student looking for some guidance on what I can do in my spare time to be prepared for when the time comes to apply to medical school. A quick look at my stats/ECs so far:

- ChemE major at a midwestern state university
- currently 4.0 GPA (I might however be losing it this semester to a math class)
Side note: I consider my course load to be pretty rigorous, 17-18 credit hours a semester with summer classes, nearly all in STEM subjects (not that it matters, just trying to characterize my classes)
- ~300 hours working as a CNA in a nursing home
- >250 hours spent in a chemistry research lab (No pubs, but I anticipate working on a paper this semester in the same lab)
- ~60 hours volunteering at a food pantry
- No shadowing hours
- Violinist for 0 credit orchestral class (60 hrs)

So far, I'm thinking about spending the next months doing hospital volunteering and again volunteering at the food pantry. However, I'd like a second opinion to inform me where I stand as a premed and if this is the right course of action. I put a ton of effort into having an exceptional freshman year, and I want to continue on the right track, but I feel as though I lack the confidence in making the right decision. Many thanks!

You don't get more points being a martyr with your course schedule. Get back to a normal load of possible.

More community service, and immerse yourself as completely as possible. Keep shadowing and make significant connections with potential recommenders.
recommended.

Not sure you need much shadowing if you are working as a CRNA/CNA. If you do, choose specialties that are different from what you are doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Would advise not taking so many courses if it is going to impact your gpa. No one really cares how many courses you are taking at one time. It’s better to keep your high gpa. You don’t NEED more clinical hours but would advise keeping it as long as you can get more non clinical hours and keep up your gpa.

Yeah there is no good reason to take 17-18h/semester. Nobody looks that closely to give you extra credit for your rigor, they’re going to just se the bottom line number.

Other than that you are where you should be. You need to get to at least 100 non clinical volunteer hours. You are on pace to have the kind of research experience that will make you attractive to research focused schools. You’re fine as is on clinical. So you honestly are well positioned to take a step back on your course load and ECs when it’s time to study for MCAT, as that is really the only piece left that matters

Status
Not open for further replies.