Feeling defeated today!!! Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberlynnp13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to be long and I apologies now for it. Suddenly I'm overwhelmed and feel defeated!

I have a stupid question guys!! Undergrad I went to two community colleges.. The first cc I got 2.69 gpa which I'm taking classes now and redoing a class to bring my gpa up.. The other cc I got 2.93. Got my BSN at the university my gpa there is 3.69. So do I average the three gpa'sor no? I put every class into this app I have on my iPad ( I believe it's called four point) and it says my overall gpa is a 2.990 which is making me want to cry and throw in the towel!!!!! At the cc that is 2.69 I have an F for not dropping the class properly I am going to retake that class and I am taking 3 summer classes there now and 3 classes in the fall and 2-3 in spring then I'm done my pre-reqs and should be taking my MCATs next summer..with these numbers is it even possible for me to get into med school?

I've been a nurse for 5 years so not much formal shadowing. None to be exact! I have been in codes and helped physicians with procedures at bedside. I interact with MDs and DOs all day long.

No research experience :(.

And as far as ec I started a back pack drive 3 years ago and I get back packs and school supplies...set the back packs up and donate them to needy families. In July I usually throw a big party and have people donate crafts and art supplies and I donate them to a children's hospital. I have done a soup kitchen a few times and sometimes I donate my time and teach therapeutic groups to patients on a pediatric psych floor.. I am joining a science club in the fall and hopefully starting a pre-med club at my cc.

I had a child at 16 so things have always been tough! I always worked multiple jobs and juggled being a single parent with my own place and school so my grades suffered in the beginning..

Why do I want to be a physician? This is a hard question! I just feel like it's my calling! I feel that I can really give back to people and do so much more for others as a physician...

What can I do to better my chances of getting into med school!! Now that I wrote it all out I don't think it looks good at all and I just want to cry! I now feel just hopeless!

I am taking chem 1 now chem 2 right after and trig/ alegbra during chem 2... Then organic chem1 and physics 1 in fall and organic chem 2 and physics 2 in the spring.. I have to say chem is tricky and the fact that I think it is trick makes me feel like I'm not smart enough to go to med school!

So please tell me what I can do to better my app for med school as of now it looks terrible! What should I shoot for on my MCATs? Obviously I want to get the best grade I can but with evrything else on my app what would be a safe score? Now that the mcat is changing I'm even more nervous! I pray I can get my gpa up higher.. What should I get my gpa up too?? Are my ecs ok? Should I do something different? Shadowing I plan on getting like 50 hours is that ok? I have no research but I'd love to if possible.. will this help my app if I can some how get research? Who are the best people to get LORs from?

Is there anything else that will make me more appealing to adcoms or make my app stand out or look better then it does. Give my any ideas guys this really is my dream and I don't want to give up but for some reason tonight I just feel defeated!!!! :(

Thanks so much and I am so very sorry for the long post

Members don't see this ad.

To honestly answer your question, I think you have several gaps in your potential application. First of all, your GPA is not where you want it at. There's not much you can do at this point besides acing the classes you're currently in. I'm not one to be negative and critical of what/ where you apply but looking at the numbers of most schools, MD might not be a possibility. Again, this is my opinion and if you are an URM, then maybe it's a different story.

To add, I think that the only thing you can really control at this time is your mcat score. If you can score very high on the mcat, it can open a lot more doors for you, in terms of school selection. Again, the way to score high is to pay attention in class, and really try to learn the material. Memorization is useless for the mcat, it's more conceptual and making connections.

With regards to your activities, do some type of research, doesn't have to be anything crazy. But schools want to know that you have done some type of research and know how it works. I also suggest shadowing a doctor or two. It's a different perspective if you shadow a PCP in an office. Try to also do some type of volunteering if you can. It can be peer tutoring, mentoring newer nurses and so on. The point is to show schools that you're well rounded and have done a lot of other things besides nursing.

You'd probably hate me for saying this but please don't EVER say Medicine is your calling. Try to sit and think hard about why you chose medicine. It has to be something unique to just you. Trust me, it'll help writing your PS easier. Stay away from cliche sayings and try to stand out more with your reasons for pursuing medicine. The road is hard, and reading what you've gone through, I respect the fact that you're doing this. My advice is to keep working hard, even if it doesn't seem so great right now, and remain optimistic yet realistic. Remember, just take it a day at a time. I'm sure you probably have a lot more questions and if you do, feel free to send me a pm.

Reactions: 1 user
First thing

Take a longgggg deep breath and relax. Everything is O.K.

Even though you went to different schools, the Gpa's, so the app is correct in all combine together. Repeated courses will be averaged out in MD applications. The newest grade will replace the old one in DO applications (Except for North Texas DO).

Take your time and don't rush this. You gotta get your pre-req's done and done well before you start worrying about the mcat next year. This isn't a quick sprint, it's a marathon as you probably already know. It is much better to tAke the longer route and get your As than to rush it and do poorly. Enjoy this time of your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do well on your prereqs. No need to rush through them. You obviously didn't live up to your potential in undergrad and that is evident in the fact that you got a 2.6 at a CC and then a 3.6 in your BSN.

I bet you've got a lot more potential in you too.

Apply DO. Grade replacement is your friend. Get good grades on those prereqs and 28+ on your MCAT. Then you are right back in the mix of things and your past performance isn't that important.

Now relax. Get those grades. Study and enjoy being a mother. You'll be in med school soon enough.

Good luck :)

With grade replacement, you can probably land a DO seat so long as your sGPA and cGPA are in the 3.2 range and your MCAT is 26+. MD would probably require a SMP unless you ace all of your sciences and get a ridiculously high MCAT score. Keep your grades up and go DO and you've got this.

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate any and all advice given to me :)

According to a few of the Med schools in my area that I have emailed or spoken to, the apps will list your previous GPA, but also any courses you have taken post-bac and will separate those GPA's. So, if you do well on your post-bac courses, they will judge them separately. As long as you show a progressive rise, they will consider you a good candidate. Also, a good MCAT score is great and you start shadowing now, you will be fine.

Your GPA's are very similar to mine, so I did ask before I started this process several admissions people at these schools. Are you taking the 2015 MCAT?

Just relax! Life is too short for drama things. Take your time to think. Besides, it happens. Just study harder and enjoy life. :)

According to a few of the Med schools in my area that I have emailed or spoken to, the apps will list your previous GPA, but also any courses you have taken post-bac and will separate those GPA's. So, if you do well on your post-bac courses, they will judge them separately. As long as you show a progressive rise, they will consider you a good candidate. Also, a good MCAT score is great and you start shadowing now, you will be fine.

Your GPA's are very similar to mine, so I did ask before I started this process several admissions people at these schools. Are you taking the 2015 MCAT?
Yeah I'm taking the mcat summer of 2015... I'm nervous because its the new test and I don't know how I should study for this or if I should buy the old mcat study guided and just use those to study from now.. I want to start doing some questions so I become familiar with the mcats type of questions

Yeah I'm taking the mcat summer of 2015... I'm nervous because its the new test and I don't know how I should study for this or if I should buy the old mcat study guided and just use those to study from now.. I want to start doing some questions so I become familiar with the mcats type of questions
I am taking the MCAT 2015 as well. Studying the old ones should help because not much is changing, but being added. The additions are what I am worried about, plus being able to survive 7 hours. The advice I keep getting is to take practice tests and time them. Good luck!

What about biochem for the new mcat? You need more than the basic pre-reqs to recover your gpa. Add hard sciences to your pre-reqs to show med school you can do it. There's no way around this, but know that there is still a chance of an acceptance if you can recover that gpa. Drop the clubs and focus on 1-2 volunteer activities that you can really speak about.