Feeling discouraged...and a little lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techinstilettos

tech/future pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going on my 6th year of undergrad and I am FINALLY ready to apply this year...the first 4 years of my college career was spent working full time and because of that, I could only go to school part time. So as you can imagine, I was excited that this is finally my time to shine!

...until I took the PCAT today. I studied and was focused with practice exams...but I think test anxiety took over today and the actually PCAT was more challenging than the practice ones (not surprising). My unofficial composite score is a 66:unsure: So now I'm feeling down and overwhelmed. Someone I talked to said to just try applying anyway and that it doesn't sound like too bad of a score, but I just don't know about that.

I have 4 years of certified tech experience in hospital, retail and clinical. I'm the pre-pharmacy chair in the Pre-professional Health Society at my university, my GPA definitely isn't perfect, but good, and I have some volunteer work under my belt but not tons. I know I can get stellar LORs from previous pharmacists I worked for, and I'll make sure to tell my story and sell myself in my essay. But is that really enough?

I'm so passionate about this, and I've wanted this for so long. It's finally here and I can't believe it...but it's giving me anxiety now, especially after today. What should I do? Is everything else good enough to make up for this PCAT score? :shrug: I'm wondering if I should retake, but worried about how it's going to work with me applying in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will be fine, i've heard many stories of people getting interviews to schools with scores way below what you got! Dont be worried, just apply to a good number of schools so you can at least have a good chance to be interviewed and accepted to any of those.

I think you will be fine, i've heard many stories of people getting interviews to schools with scores way below what you got! Dont be worried, just apply to a good number of schools so you can at least have a good chance to be interviewed and accepted to any of those.

Thanks for replying! That made me feel a little better! I have six schools so far that I decided to send the PCAT scores to. I'm hoping the combination of everything will help my chances, but I got a little scared today! :confused:

You can look into school that doesn't require PCAT. Washington State University just recently announced that PCAT is no longer a requirement. Though I have a friend got in Early Decision last year (when PCAT was still asked), she scored in the 60th also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going on my 6th year of undergrad and I am FINALLY ready to apply this year...the first 4 years of my college career was spent working full time and because of that, I could only go to school part time. So as you can imagine, I was excited that this is finally my time to shine!

...until I took the PCAT today. I studied and was focused with practice exams...but I think test anxiety took over today and the actually PCAT was more challenging than the practice ones (not surprising). My unofficial composite score is a 66:unsure: So now I'm feeling down and overwhelmed. Someone I talked to said to just try applying anyway and that it doesn't sound like too bad of a score, but I just don't know about that.

I have 4 years of certified tech experience in hospital, retail and clinical. I'm the pre-pharmacy chair in the Pre-professional Health Society at my university, my GPA definitely isn't perfect, but good, and I have some volunteer work under my belt but not tons. I know I can get stellar LORs from previous pharmacists I worked for, and I'll make sure to tell my story and sell myself in my essay. But is that really enough?

I'm so passionate about this, and I've wanted this for so long. It's finally here and I can't believe it...but it's giving me anxiety now, especially after today. What should I do? Is everything else good enough to make up for this PCAT score? :shrug: I'm wondering if I should retake, but worried about how it's going to work with me applying in the fall.

Your score is good competitive. Just be confident and apply and show that passion when you get your interview! :nod:

A 66 isn't good but for some schools that's actually the average PCAT score of accepted students. I personally would shoot for a 70+ but as long as you aren't counting on your PCAT to balance out a low GPA I think you'll be okay.