Feeling discouraged...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first chem midterm of the quarter back today and got an 87%. I could've had an A but I accidentally made a stupid mistake and missed an entire question (one of those ridiculous "4+3=8" mistakes.) My grade in the class dropped to an A- because of it. It might sound stupid to complain about that but I REALLY need an A in the class to save myself from a rough first quarter as a freshman last year. Now I have no "wiggle room" on the next midterm and the final...

Any encouraging comments? I'm really bummed about this and my friends don't understand. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I can give you the best advice.

Find new friends.

Not to ditch your old ones, but expand your social circle.

And not via SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have grade issues from your first term, it is excellent that you recognized the problem this early and are working to fix it. Many "wake up" sophomore year when it takes way longer to repair a mediocre GPA.

And now you've learned to recheck your calculations if you have extra time before the time is up.

be a man (or a woman). owe up to your mistakes, do better next time. beating yourself over for something you can't change = waste of time and effort.

You know that guy in class who is always like,

"Oh man I got a 93 on that last test I can't believe I did so bad my life is ruined!"

Everyone hates that guy. Don't be that guy.

I got my first chem midterm of the quarter back today and got an 87%. I could've had an A but I accidentally made a stupid mistake and missed an entire question (one of those ridiculous "4+3=8" mistakes.) My grade in the class dropped to an A- because of it. It might sound stupid to complain about that but I REALLY need an A in the class to save myself from a rough first quarter as a freshman last year. Now I have no "wiggle room" on the next midterm and the final...

Any encouraging comments? I'm really bummed about this and my friends don't understand. :(

Be happy your school has A-'s and B+'s
i got a 88% in chem and got stuck with a B... I mean really its not the end of the world, if you needed the class to make up for a rough first semester, well a A- is basically the samething as a A, it'll still bring you up.

Everyone makes mistakes. Learn from it and don't repeat again. It's not the end of the world.

Thanks, everyone.

I swear I'm not trying to be "that guy" (...er, "that girl") but it's frustrating when you're trying to pull up your GPA, as I'm sure some of you know.

Just needed to vent to someone who wouldn't think I was being obnoxious.

Nope, you're not obnoxious. Everybody has different expectations and sometimes people just have to accept that.

Lots of us feel you here, and Cat is right. Recognize the problem and ensure it doesnt happen again.

And find someone that can understand you in real life please.

Lots of us feel you here, and Cat is right. Recognize the problem and ensure it doesnt happen again.
This is true. I'll admit that when I first read the original post I immediately thought "this is one of those people." And yet I've done it too - complaining about the fact that I was one or two points away from getting an A at the end of the course, and received that A-. But then, I also badly needed to pull my GPA up, and didn't have a lot of time to do it in.

Either way, take heart.

I don't see how one exam is going to matter in the grand scheme of things, keep doing what you are doing.

Don't even worry about it. If I learned anything from Chem 1 it was to be happy and accept a B+ for an exam grade.

If I was you I would probably kill myself. :thumbup:

Thanks, everyone.

I swear I'm not trying to be "that guy" (...er, "that girl") but it's frustrating when you're trying to pull up your GPA, as I'm sure some of you know.

Just needed to vent to someone who wouldn't think I was being obnoxious.

But we do think you're obnoxious.

See, here's how it works: When you take tests you try to get everything right. Some people get some of the questions wrong and they get a lower grade than other people who get them all right.

Make note of that for the next test and don't get questions wrong. If you get them all right you will get an A.

See, here's how it works: When you take tests you try to get everything right. Some people get some of the questions wrong and they get a lower grade than other people who get them all right.

Make note of that for the next test and don't get questions wrong. If you get them all right you will get an A.

Aren't you the perceptive one:poke:

Honestly a B in a class isn't that bad..

I might just be a little bitter because I just got a D on my first calc test. But hey, it was one of the highest in the class.

I might just be a little bitter because I just got a D on my first calc test. But hey, it was one of the highest in the class.

Lol you wouldnt believe how happy and displeased i was when i was in the top 3 students in my chem class, and got a 88% in the class(no curve) and then couldnt get a A for the semester. Thus leaving me with a 3.71 Cgpa, 3.0 Sgpa. I get the feeling i'll have a 4.0 AOgpa and end up with like a 3.2 sgpa when i grad.