Feeling More Positive About Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splik

Professional Cat at Large
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
wrapped up my last week of residency and feeling more positive about psychiatry than ever. In the past month alone I have seen a wide range of patients including people with functional neurological disorder, somatization disorder, rapidly progressive dementia (most likely CJD), posterior cortical atrophy, NP-SLE, neurosarcoid, bvFTD phenocopy syndrome, TBIs (you can guess my subspecialty) as well as your garden variety depressed, deluded, deranged and dipsomaniacal patients.

In terminating with my patients I learned that most of my patients were better off now than when they first came to see me, and while many continue to struggle they have managed to achieve some of their goals or some relief from the problems that brought them to treatment in the first place. I have a tendency to be overly skeptical about the value of psychiatric drugs but sometimes they do work, and occasionally (but sadly rarely) the effects can be dramatic. Likewise I can sometimes be dismissive of psychotherapy but there can be something truly healing in meaningful connections we can make. Sometimes things I have considered minor or trivial have made a major difference to patients. Sometimes changes I considered largely inconsequential have been a big deal for patients and their families. And people who have been struggling for years can be successfully treated and even cured of their problems using time-limited treatments.

During the past 4 years I have had the privilege of seeing patients with fascinating stories and psychopathology: psychopaths, patients with Othello syndrome, De Clerambault syndrome, Ekbom syndrome, Capgras syndrome, late paraphrenia, bipolar dementia, Biswanger's disease, disconnection syndrome, corticobasal syndrome, Tourette's syndrome and late onset-tic disorders, depersonalization, HIV dementia, compulsive sexual behavior, Ganser syndrome, factitious disorder, catatonia, delirious mania, limbic encephalitis, bvFTD, primary progressive aphasia, semantic dementia, patients reporting "multiple personalities" or being the victim of satanic ritual abuse, prisoners of war, survivors or torture, severe family pathology including enmeshment, marital schism, pseudomutuality and double binds; I've worked with murderers, arsonists, and perpetrators of incest. On the other end of spectrum, I have worked with those struggling after the loss of a loved one, crumbling in the face of catastrophic illness, overwhelmed by feelings of aloneness, rejected and shunned because of their sexual orientation, adjusting to life after prison, remembering childhood trauma for the first time in adult life, wrought with shame for having HIV, fantasizing about their husbands dying or having masturbatory phantasies about murdering their lovers or imagined lovers...

Psychiatry at its best (and most fun) requires a broad range of skills: performing neurological exams and neurobehavioral mental status examinations, ordering EEGs, or ENCES panels, looking at MRIs or FDG-PET scans, discussing genetic testing, interpreting dreams, working with families, helping couples understand what function particular symptoms have in their relationship, using hypnosis to remove hysterical symptoms, using motivational interviewing to explore ambivalence to change or alternately screaming (and/or cursing) at patients when they least expect, providing mutative interpretations through the transference affect, using the downward arrow technique to help patients identify their core beliefs, using behavior chain analysis to help understand why a patient attempted suicide, prescribing an MAOI with the requisite counseling ("eat smelly cheese and you could die!"), electrocuting patients (okay ECT isn't exactly electrocution but I tend to think of it like that...), or convincing people that sticking a giant magnet on the side of their head will help their depression (and it just might), jumping up and down with a patient to help them regulate their distress, doing empty chair work to help patients articulate emotions they have long suppressed, providing liaison and education to medical colleagues, helping patients to stop smoking...

I am excited about the next phase and hope I can convince someone to pay me to practice as I would like to...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 22 users
wrapped up my last week of residency and feeling more positive about psychiatry than ever. In the past month alone I have seen a wide range of patients including people with functional neurological disorder, somatization disorder, rapidly progressive dementia (most likely CJD), posterior cortical atrophy, NP-SLE, neurosarcoid, bvFTD phenocopy syndrome, TBIs (you can guess my subspecialty) as well as your garden variety depressed, deluded, deranged and dipsomaniacal patients.

In terminating with my patients I learned that most of my patients were better off now than when they first came to see me, and while many continue to struggle they have managed to achieve some of their goals or some relief from the problems that brought them to treatment in the first place. I have a tendency to be overly skeptical about the value of psychiatric drugs but sometimes they do work, and occasionally (but sadly rarely) the effects can be dramatic. Likewise I can sometimes be dismissive of psychotherapy but there can be something truly healing in meaningful connections we can make. Sometimes things I have considered minor or trivial have made a major difference to patients. Sometimes changes I considered largely inconsequential have been a big deal for patients and their families. And people who have been struggling for years can be successfully treated and even cured of their problems using time-limited treatments.

During the past 4 years I have had the privilege of seeing patients with fascinating stories and psychopathology: psychopaths, patients with Othello syndrome, De Clerambault syndrome, Ekbom syndrome, Capgras syndrome, late paraphrenia, bipolar dementia, Biswanger's disease, disconnection syndrome, corticobasal syndrome, Tourette's syndrome and late onset-tic disorders, depersonalization, HIV dementia, compulsive sexual behavior, Ganser syndrome, factitious disorder, catatonia, delirious mania, limbic encephalitis, bvFTD, primary progressive aphasia, semantic dementia, patients reporting "multiple personalities" or being the victim of satanic ritual abuse, prisoners of war, survivors or torture, severe family pathology including enmeshment, marital schism, pseudomutuality and double binds; I've worked with murderers, arsonists, and perpetrators of incest. On the other end of spectrum, I have worked with those struggling after the loss of a loved one, crumbling in the face of catastrophic illness, overwhelmed by feelings of aloneness, rejected and shunned because of their sexual orientation, adjusting to life after prison, remembering childhood trauma for the first time in adult life, wrought with shame for having HIV, fantasizing about their husbands dying or having masturbatory phantasies about murdering their lovers or imagined lovers...

Psychiatry at its best (and most fun) requires a broad range of skills: performing neurological exams and neurobehavioral mental status examinations, ordering EEGs, or ENCES panels, looking at MRIs or FDG-PET scans, discussing genetic testing, interpreting dreams, working with families, helping couples understand what function particular symptoms have in their relationship, using hypnosis to remove hysterical symptoms, using motivational interviewing to explore ambivalence to change or alternately screaming (and/or cursing) at patients when they least expect, providing mutative interpretations through the transference affect, using the downward arrow technique to help patients identify their core beliefs, using behavior chain analysis to help understand why a patient attempted suicide, prescribing an MAOI with the requisite counseling ("eat smelly cheese and you could die!"), electrocuting patients (okay ECT isn't exactly electrocution but I tend to think of it like that...), or convincing people that sticking a giant magnet on the side of their head will help their depression (and it just might), jumping up and down with a patient to help them regulate their distress, doing empty chair work to help patients articulate emotions they have long suppressed, providing liaison and education to medical colleagues, helping patients to stop smoking...

I am excited about the next phase and hope I can convince someone to pay me to practice as I would like to...

Fascinating. You're 150 years stuck in the past. Can you please use contemporary terminology more people can understand and save the hubris for another time? UCLA NPI grad?

De Clerambault syndrome = a term for erotomania in late 1800s
dipsomaniacal = a term for alcoholism used in the 1800s

Reactions: 4 users
i will concede i am probably an anachronism. it comes from my psych textbooks being 150 years old - they are just more interesting to read. our terminology has become too stale and boring today. also i love eponyms - here is a link to a nice paper covering most of the neuropsychiatric eponyms for those who are interested

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fascinating. You're 150 years stuck in the past. Can you please use contemporary terminology more people can understand and save the hubris for another time? UCLA NPI grad?

De Clerambault syndrome = a term for erotomania in late 1800s
dipsomaniacal = a term for alcoholism used in the 1800s

Splik's wrapping up residency and has been one of the most interesting posters on this forum. Let the man have a freaking victory lap.

Plus, he ended with "helping patients to stop smoking." If he carries just that one lesson with him into private practice he'll probably save more QALYs than any other psychiatric intervention available...

Congrats Splik!

Last edited:
I'm just teasing Splickie a bit :) Somebody has to give him a hard time.

Reactions: 2 users
I absolutely love arcane words and since reading this post have already managed once to incorporate dipsomaniacal into conversation. I'm a teetotaler myself (one alleged origin of that word is fascinating; short story: stuttering), so finding use for dipsomaniacal will be difficult but I will find a way.

Edit: Congratulations, splik. I didn't write more because honestly I am jealous of the patients you will come across. I've been asking my psychiatrist for an EEG (I'd ideally like an ambulatory EEG) and have gotten the "psychiatrists don't do that" line, so to see that I felt a twinge of regret. She also won't touch my tics in terms of even acknowledging that I have them or Tourette's, even though they were previously diagnosed as such by a neurologist. I dislike the balkanization of care. End of my soapbox. I hope you get to practice as widely as you've trained.

Last edited:
cool post. but...interpreting dreams!? Do you tell fortunes as well?

Reactions: 1 users
I used to read palms. I dont tell fortunes but it is interesting you should mention that as psychiatrists are often unfortunately expected to tell fortunes, blamed when patients commit suicide as if they should have known this was going to happen, and make predictions regarding violence recidivism or about sexually violent predators, or even predict how much treatment someone will need and what their chances of getting better are. We are asked to have foresight on whether and when someone will be able to return to work, how long they will be disabled for, whether an addicted physician is likely to relapse, or the threat a child will pose at school or an employee will pose in the workplace. And when some tragedy occurs, no doubt the psychiatrist will be blamed, because his powers of fortune telling and foresight should have told him what was going to happen. So the courts at least seem to think we are fortune tellers...

Reactions: 3 users
cool post. but...interpreting dreams!? Do you tell fortunes as well?

I think it's very reasonable to hold the opinion that interpreting dreams is silly, but I'm not sure why you are quite so incredulous - it's a common practice in psychoanalysis or dynamic therapy and you should have at least been exposed to the idea during residency.

Splik, congrats on finishing!

On the dreams front, check out some work on Gestalt Dreamwork. I've found it to be 100x more interesting than analytic approaches (though Jungian work is also very interesting), and doesn't maintain the dynamic of therapist as expert as much as facilitator/guide. It involves embodiment of "parts" of the dream (like role playing) and facilitating a dialogue between those parts. The patient also "enacts" the dream, as if they're reliving it. The stuff that comes out has made my jaw drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think it's very reasonable to hold the opinion that interpreting dreams is silly, but I'm not sure why you are quite so incredulous - it's a common practice in psychoanalysis or dynamic therapy and you should have at least been exposed to the idea during residency.

I hope I never stop being incredulous at the presumptive bull**** of a psychodynamic framework. The notion that something would qualify someone to perform such wizard craft as interpreting dreams among them.

Your haughty retort is right in line with the hubris of such nonsense.

But as to splik's f/u post those are reasonable items for consideration of dreams. Although not interpretive. As was originally stated.

Last edited:
also dreams are not just for beardy-weirdy analyst types. I do believe that dreams are mainly a bulletin of the day and that for the most part they are probably our way of getting rid of information we don't need, but where people have recurring dreams or they remembered the dream or upset them somehow, something has gone awry (such as failure to process the emotions associated with the imagery) and it can be helpful for patients to be able to talk about this and try and make sense of what they think the dream was about. As part of my hypnotizability assessments (which I do in the treatment of functional neurological symptoms) I will give hypnotic suggestions for patients to dream and this helps to assess their hypnotizability. This is part of the Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale C. Nightmares are often a cause of insomnia, part of PTSD, or may occur more generally, and in addition to prazosin nightmare rescripting can be a powerful tool for patients to take control of the story of their dreams and neutralize threatening content. Hypnosis can also be used to help change what people dream about. Also from a forensic perspective, content of dreams may be helpful for suicide or violence risk assessment. This is a point of debate, but some assessments will still ask about this (and I do specifically ask about violent dreams and phantasies).

Interruption of REM sleep by PLMs and OSA will result in someone remembering dreams and sometimes result in nightmares.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm more interested in the part about screaming/cursing at patients when the least expect it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Splik, please expound on your commentary on ECT. Also, that list is disappointing because Marchiafava-Bignami disease is not on there.

Nasrudin, how is residency treating you? You are so venomous towards psychodynamic that I predict you'll love it down the road when you're not a poor residency rat up against a residency ****house brickwall :) or you'll be doing some kind of shamanic work with psychadelics. Either way...dream on dream on dream on.....aaaaaaaaaaaah (to quote led zeppelin).

+1 for gestalt dream work here. Also small town psych I believe we have been on the same gestalt listserv in the past.

QUOTE="Nasrudin, post: 17788274, member: 102978"]I hope I never stop being incredulous at the presumptive bull**** of a psychodynamic framework. The notion that something would qualify someone to perform such wizard craft as interpreting dreams among them.

But as to splik's f/u post those are reasonable items for consideration of dreams. Although not interpretive. As was originally stated.[/QUOTE]

Nasrudin, how is residency treating you? You are so venomous towards psychodynamic that I predict you'll love it down the road when you're not a poor residency rat up against a residency ****house brickwall :) or you'll be doing some kind of shamanic work with psychadelics. Either way...dream on dream on dream on.....aaaaaaaaaaaah (to quote led zeppelin).

+1 for gestalt dream work here. Also small town psych I believe we have been on the same gestalt listserv in the past.

QUOTE="Nasrudin, post: 17788274, member: 102978"]I hope I never stop being incredulous at the presumptive bull**** of a psychodynamic framework. The notion that something would qualify someone to perform such wizard craft as interpreting dreams among them.

But as to splik's f/u post those are reasonable items for consideration of dreams. Although not interpretive. As was originally stated.
[/QUOTE]

Hey! Sorry read this while i was busy and forgot to respond.

Shamanic work with psychadelics. Hopefully. What is placebo or patient rapport and gaining of adherence and cooperative rebuilding of agency and resilience but a shamanic, hypnotic process. Psychodynamic work. I cannot. Ever. Pscyhodynamic approaches are an accident of history. Could've been JL Moreno's approaches. But perhaps they didn't appeal to the narcissism or enjoyment of the therapists. or the culture of logical positivism of the time. But psychodynamics caught on. And we've been dealing with the arcane nonsense ever since. It's as if before it we had no means to therapize our fellow creatures for our hundreds of thousands of years as social primates.... and then....boom. psychiatry is born. It's a fabricated narrative. That i cannot grasp how well it is subscribed to. It's cultish. And who knows how long it will continue to walk zombie like amongst our training cultures.

My mind is not closed to it. It's too open to close myself to it.

But thanks! I'm well. Have a good f'n saturday.

I had a patient with callosum agenesis but sadly not one who had rotted away their corpus callosum with alcohol - but I do put it on my differential for these alcohol dementia types and look closely at the sagittal MRI sequences in the hope of seeing something

Edit: but it's not even on my top 10 of diagnoses I wished to have made which include:
1. bartonella encephalopathy
2. whipple's disease
3. hashimoto's encephalopathy (which may not even exist)
4. dissociative fugue
5. Fregoli syndrome
6. Munchausen's (dx factitious disorder but not seen Munchausen's)
7. intermetamorphosis
8. brain sagging syndrome
9. metachromatic leukodystrophy
10.AMPA-R antibody limbic encephalitis

And my list is mainly disappointing because there is no mention of amytal interviewing...
I've seen Munchausen's a few times. Asthma fakers, ugh- they pretend to have 10/10 SOB then talk on the phone like it's no big deal and when they fall asleep they suddenly have no wheezing :laugh: We had a few of them where I used to work, and they'd really freak out the medical residents, who would often end up knocking them out and intubating them only to find that they had completely clear breath sounds and perfect pulmonary function curves while unconscious, only to end up freaking out immediately upon waking up and fighting the vent so much we had to knock them out again. Ugh, I wish I could share more details, but let's just say every one of them had a reason for it, and it always came back to "my family never pays attention to me unless I'm in the hospital." It's easy to fake asthma for someone that doesn't know what they're looking for, so they can usually get an admit just by faking it 'til they make it. One of them even had unilateral vocal chord paralysis from being intubated so many times, so she literally always sounded like she was wheezing.

Really hard to not get frustrated with people like that requesting nebs every 30 minutes when you've got other people that are actually dying in the ICU, ugh.

/rant

Nope. It wasn't me. Must have been another small town guy. I'm more into Kohut and Kernberg and even a little Winnicott and some good ole fashioned Ellis than Perls.

Last edited:
That sounds like factitious disorder (which I've dx'd a few times), not muchausens

What is the difference? I thought they were the same thing. No doubt there is some subtle difference in ontogeny that you will be able to share with us :)

That sounds like factitious disorder (which I've dx'd a few times), not muchausens
I think we're using different terminology. Currently things are classified as malingering (faking illness for gain), Munchausen's (faking illness for attention being the central activity of one's life, regardless of method, as these patients would- one spent as much time in the hospital as out of it), and factitious disorders (faking of illness for attention, but not having it be a central activity in one's life, split into various subtypes based on type of symptoms). Then there's the "by proxy" qualifier, which is basically just abuse of another's health for attention, which can fall into the Munchausen's or factitious camps, depending on severity. I don't believe degree of awareness of one's activities currently factors in, which seems odd but so hard to prove that I guess it's understandable why they don't.

I don't believe degree of awareness of one's activities currently factors in, which seems odd but so hard to prove that I guess it's understandable why they don't.
Awareness of one's activities is a component of Factitious Disorder. If the symptoms aren't consciously produced, it's a somatic symptom disorder instead.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the difference? I thought they were the same thing. No doubt there is some subtle difference in ontogeny that you will be able to share with us :)
There is a difference between Asher's Munchausen's syndrome and DSM factitious disorder, but it is an important one. Factitious disorder is the simulation of illness (usually without obvious external reward). Munchausen's syndrome is the triad of illness deception, pseudologia fantastica, and chronic peregrination. Baron von Munchausen would travel from place to place telling tall tales. Thus, without these 2 features it definitely isn't Munchausen's just factitious disorder...

Here is the paper that coined the term:

Asher R. Munchausen’s syndrome. Lancet 1951; 257:339-341