Feeling Terrible for Taking Time Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I assume many of you have techs/interns working with you who are also enrolled in school full time. Does it affect you guys much (particularly at chains) if they are gone over the holidays? For instance, I literally just started working semi-actively at CVS (the training period and eveything took forever but its finally winding down), but I am on the cusp of Thanksgiving and Winter break ( Thanksgiving is like 5-6 days) whereas winter break lasts from Dec. 11 to Jan 9th. After that I only have a couple more breaks then summer break going into Sophomore year. I spoke to my PIC about it, and gave her the days and she said it's fine, go back and see my family, etc. I just cant shake the feeling I'm leaving them out to dry. There are plenty of techs, but I just feel kinda guilty leaving for these periods as soon as I've started. It's not like I can stay on campus during the breaks, though. I dont know, is there anything else I should do?

(Thanks for listening to this catharsis, everyone, lol)

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So, I assume many of you have techs/interns working with you who are also enrolled in school full time. Does it affect you guys much (particularly at chains) if they are gone over the holidays? For instance, I literally just started working semi-actively at CVS (the training period and eveything took forever but its finally winding down), but I am on the cusp of Thanksgiving and Winter break ( Thanksgiving is like 5-6 days) whereas winter break lasts from Dec. 11 to Jan 9th. After that I only have a couple more breaks then summer break going into Sophomore year. I spoke to my PIC about it, and gave her the days and she said it's fine, go back and see my family, etc. I just cant shake the feeling I'm leaving them out to dry. There are plenty of techs, but I just feel kinda guilty leaving for these periods as soon as I've started. It's not like I can stay on campus during the breaks, though. I dont know, is there anything else I should do?

Dd3
As an intern, I'm inclined to feel guilty about taking time off as well. However, at CVS, we're "supposed" to be supplemental... as in non-essential to the schedule. I've been told that intern hours are completely separate from tech hours. Alas, we're still scheduled as essential personnel. So, it's okay to feel bad. But, blame your guilt on the company, and enjoy a well-deserved break.

Well, as a counterbalance, I usually get more unexpected help from my seasonal college techs who come home (live close to the store) for the holidays to pick up shifts & stay actively employed. It's not a big deal; just make sure you pick up a shift once in a while to stay active in the system

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Dd3

If they granted your break take it. Most understand between being a full time student and part time tech you’ll need time to unravel and visit family. Im sure your full time coworkers do plan for requests during the holidays for students while others usually step up and take the extra hours to have more in their pockets when discount prices arise after major holidays (good ‘old Black Friday).

I stayed in town for just about every break and scored a ton of overtime when everyone else left. Go, your coworkers will probably cash in on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this post for real? Enjoy your time off while you can. Anything you do that's above and beyond will go unappreciated in retail.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't feel bad. at my pharmacy technicians will call in 30 minutes before there shift which will leave us even more understaffed. Letting your PIC know you will be gone will let them schedule people in your place. It's absurd to feel bad for that.

Once you're an intern, you are pretty much considered extra help. At my store, intern hours are kept separate from technicians so essentially you will always be extra help. It makes things easier to take off time for school and stuff.

What’s the point of feeling bad? It’s wasted energy. You are going to go home anyway so just turn off that negative emotion and enjoy your break.

Besides there is nothing wrong with taking time off. It’s expected after all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just wondering...why are companies still hiring interns? They are paid higher wages than techs and have a less flexible schedule.

Just wondering...why are companies still hiring interns? They are paid higher wages than techs and have a less flexible schedule.

Because they can do most pharmacist duties at a fraction of the cost?

This is just something you'll have to grow out of. Try to understand that it is okay to be gone, and that you can't put the entire weight of your workplace solely on your shoulders. It's easy to take the stress from pharmacy home with you. Try not to fall into that trap.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience the exact reverse is true. Interns get paid less than techs and have a much more flexible schedule. Usually there is an understanding that you don’t have to work during finals week/holidays and you are counted as an “extra”, not someone to backfill a shift.

Because they can do most pharmacist duties at a fraction of the cost?

Yeah but a pharmacist still needs to be present. It's not like they're scheduling an intern in place of a pharmacist shift. As most people said they're just considered "extra help".

In my experience the exact reverse is true. Interns get paid less than techs and have a much more flexible schedule. Usually there is an understanding that you don’t have to work during finals week/holidays and you are counted as an “extra”, not someone to backfill a shift.

Really? From what I've seen when a tech who starts pharmacy school and becomes an intern, they get a pay raise. Interns have school and exams . They usually can only work 1 day a week - that's not very flexible

Really? From what I've seen when a tech who starts pharmacy school and becomes an intern, they get a pay raise. Interns have school and exams . They usually can only work 1 day a week - that's not very flexible

The vast majority of pharmacy students have never set foot in a pharmacy prior to pharmacy school so those with tech experience are the exception rather than the norm. Thus, base intern salary is typically lower than technician salary. It wouldn’t make sense for a tech-converted-intern to take a paycut because they are an “intern” so I can see why you would get a raise in that situation.

With regards to the flexibility thing I think I just misunderstood your point and I agree that interns can’t work as many hours as techs for obvious reasons (but hence why they get paid lower in general).

You just technically started lol. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are THAT important. Seems like your PIC has it figured out.

PS. As a sophomore in college, I still think you have enough time to switch to pre-med

PS. As a sophomore in college, I still think you have enough time to switch to pre-med
I have considered it many times. I really do love what I do, though. I'm a freshman, however. About to finish my first semester.

The technicians will likely talk about you and bash you a little bit while you were gone. Not too much, interns usually get a pass at this kind of things.

Just get them some candy, and have a funny story ready when you get back, you will be fine.

It's normally expected for the interns to not necessarily be around over breaks especially if you are an underclassman living in the dorms that close for holidays/summers. So most likely they were never expecting you to be there anyway. I mean I worked holidays/summers as an intern but that was P1-P4 year and my school/work was only about an hour from home and I had my own place. So there will be plenty of time to work over breaks/holidays. I mean sure if you can swing that you can work part of the holiday like the week before classes start back up or something like that and they have the hours/place for you sure great do that and make the extra money. But otherwise go home enjoy actually getting a vacation it sounds like they weren't expecting you to be there anyway. Most likely the pharmacy will still be standing when you get back.

I wouldn't worry about it. You earned the time off. I say this after just getting a request for time off approved and I don't feel the slightest ounce of guilt.

Is it any wonder why pharmacists don't get the respect they deserve? A CVS pharmacist is feeling terrible about taking vacation. That is blowing my mind.

Is it any wonder why pharmacists don't get the respect they deserve? A CVS pharmacist is feeling terrible about taking vacation. That is blowing my mind.

Huh that is a very high level of responding without reading the OP.

OP - congrats on already being a pharmacist! Most people have to go to pharmacy school, graduate, take Naplex and MPJE, and get licensed. You really skipped a lot of the drudgery! Did you get to skip student loans as well?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all,

Dd3
Who cares? Worry about yourself and enjoy these breaks. If PIC is cool with it, then don't worry about it

Huh that is a very high level of responding without reading the OP.

OP - congrats on already being a pharmacist! Most people have to go to pharmacy school, graduate, take Naplex and MPJE, and get licensed. You really skipped a lot of the drudgery! Did you get to skip student loans as well?

Its super easy! All you have to do is match the words on the big bottle to the words on the little bottle! Sometimes the numbers after the words are a little different, but they dont really matter. And best part, no loans!

(Sarcasm)

It depends on your store really. For the most part, you are just there as extra help as you continue your learning process towards a possible future career with the company. Some stores desperately need help and rely on interns. This is really just an alternative to avoid giving pharmacist pay to train a new pharmacist with the company. I would take advantage of the time-off that you get as long as you let them know way in advance. Just work hard when you're scheduled so they can put in a good word during evaluations for when it comes down to hire in the future...

it goes both ways - you have to be responsible enough to provide coverage for your job - but also, agree often you get help when people "come home" over the holidays. Where I interned we had tons of interns and it was up to us to work professionally to make sure we had coverage - if they give you the time, go for it you are lucky, but also make sure you don't burn bridges and you are professional enough to keep the job covered