Feeling the Financial Crisis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trublu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MDACC just announced today a hiring freeze affecting all levels of the institution, including new faculty, including those under employment negotiation without signed contracts.

Curious about how widespread action like this may be.

Also, anyone care to speculate on how long we'll be seeing cuts like this in our field (i.e. does this PGY3 resident have any chance of getting a job in 2011)?

Members don't see this ad.

i am surprised to hear that new faculty hiring is frozen. people are still getting cancer, and someone still has to treat them, and young faculty leave academic centers for private practice every year, so they need new blood. :)

in our institution, they announced a hiring freeze for support staff but NOT including faculty positions, they gave a long statement about investing in the future of the institution so we stay strong etc. i think they also made exceptions for replacing people who leave.

one of our physician scientist spots may go unfilled this year and i know we will continue to look next year. we also had a clinical spot that i am not sure we have filled and if not, we will be interviewing for that as well. one of our residents is also going to be starting at mdacc next year and he is still finalizing his contract, and they have not canceled negotiations, so there must still be room for new people.

good luck next year, the rat race begins again.

Last edited:
i am surprised to hear that new faculty hiring is frozen. people are still getting cancer, and someone still has to treat them, and young faculty leave academic centers for private practice every year, so they need new blood. :)

Could it actually be that we are going to see MORE people with cancer in 10 years, jsut because of the financial crisis?
With up until now healthy people losing jobs or having to work harded, there may be a trent to people doing less exercise, eating less healthy, paying less attention to health, performing less check ups.
Furthermore people losing jobs may lead to more consumers of alcohol and cigarettes.

So perhaps in 10-15 years we may see a new wave of cancer illness in the western world, simply because of the financial crisis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much reaction to this post initially, but I get the distinct impression this problem is spreading. Is there interest in creating a list of academic programs that have announced hiring freezes for the coming year, inclusive of new clinical faculty?

I can start us off with three confirmed, and multiple rumors:

1. MDACC
2. UNC Chapel Hill
3. Duke
4. U Chicago ?
5. MSKCC ?

not sure that UNC has a true hiring freeze on. Although the university does, the cancer center is opening a new hospital in September and has a lot of money ($50mill/yr x 18 more years) from the legislature. I know the cancer center is interviewing faculty. The radonc dept, however, has 4 physicians starting this july so I'm not sure how aggressive they'll be in hiring more faculty.

Dr. Marks was heard last week saying hiring was frozen at UNC for the coming year...

University of Miami has had a hiring freeze for 6 months