Feelings of Stress and Mixed Emotions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xNeenax

Delano's Minion
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering....this may sound weird but I know that pharmacy schools can take a toll on you emotionally (from what I've heard). To pharmacy students has anyone ever gone through these types of feelings: stress, feelings of trying to give up on your dreams, depression, anger.

I'm just wondering, if going through these things do exist then how do you put up with it? I mean, I've met one student say that they drink alcohol, but something about that doesn't feel right to me.

Sorry for the weird post btw. I've just heard my professor mentioning this in class about professional schools and I thought I should try and look into that and see if he's right.

Members don't see this ad.

Post-Pharmdom depression?

I was wondering....this may sound weird but I know that pharmacy schools can take a toll on you emotionally (from what I've heard). To pharmacy students has anyone ever gone through these types of feelings: stress, feelings of trying to give up on your dreams, depression, anger.

I'm just wondering, if going through these things do exist then how do you put up with it? I mean, I've met one student say that they drink alcohol, but something about that doesn't feel right to me.

Sorry for the weird post btw. I've just heard my professor mentioning this in class about professional schools and I thought I should try and look into that and see if he's right.

It depends on the person and the support system that is present during school.

Feel free to PM me any time and I can tell you what I personally think.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true that students use many different methods of coping with the stress, including substance abuse. I think the most important thing is to set short term goals with each semester. It's easier to think about things in steps...at least for me it is. I had a difficult time adjusting for a variety of reasons but I eventually found my "flow" and you will too. Time management is extremely important. You'll drown without it.

The stress sucks but you'll be surprised at how fast it all goes by.

I think that really depends on the type of person that you are. I know that I'm not in pharmacy school so I can't say I know exactly how that feels but I'm in a masters program. I have felt all of those things plus add feeling dumb, and anxiety over profs and students (b/c i teach labs as well) asking questions during your presentations (like thesis defense). I think that any program done after your bachelors is suppose to challenge your limits but it just depends on what type of person you are whether or not you will survive. I like to think that most people are survivors otherwise how did you get this far? Obviously your smart enough to get into pharm school which not a lot of people survive that. My biggest advice is to focus on the positive and try to plan around the negative. Didn't do too well on one test then plan to study harder for the next that sort of thing (don't dwell on the negative). I do agree that time management is huge in overcoming obstacles though.

Like with any dreams/goals you pursue, there will always be obstacles. If you have never been in a situation where you have taken multiple courses, and the bulk of which are science courses, then yes you will be stressed. Another factor is going to work; if you have never work while you are in school and now all of a sudden you find yourself the need to work while going to school and doing IPPEs, then yes you may feel depressed. But this is what you want, right? So man up, and hold your head up high because you are pursuing a dream! And dreams have obstacles!

Bottom line: don't let people tell you so-and-so program are stressful/challenging to scare you or makes you feel like you don't want to pursue it. If you want it bad enough, I'll bet you will be willing to stay up till 12AM, wake up at 8, get to school by 9, do rotations at 3PM, then come home for dinner and homework.

Good luck!