Fell off my mountain bike: broken collarbone.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At your six week follow up, ask him if it's okay that you removed the screws yourself
Or better yet, go to the ER and request they be removed "cuz it's a weekend and they hurts me"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Or better yet, go to the ER and request they be removed "cuz it's a weekend and they hurts me"
...or demand they do the other side "prophylactically" and "cuz saw it on TickTok"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Crumple zone! Feel better, hope there's no tenting. I see a dozen a day in summer.

RANT:

So, I live here in SW Florida, where the average age is 132 years old. Been walking around for a bit in my sling when I go to the grocery store and such; primarily to remind myself not to go lifting things with that arm yet.

Every freaking BOOMER (or BOOMER+) has said something to me along the lines of:

"Hurr durr durr; maybee you shouttnt be DOing things like that and take it easier. AT'LL teach youse. Hurr durr durr."

They generally add something like: "Stick to the easy trails. Stick to golf. Stick to (whatever)."

This is such a BOOMER attitude. "Urrp. I can't DO that no moarhh, so its gotta be BAD and he needs to take it easy."

Look; there's risk inherent in any sport. It's the price you pay for fun.

If you play softball, and you get hit by a pitch, does it mean that you're "playing above your level"?
No. It just happens sometimes. You walk it off, take your base.

Enjoy heart disease BOOMERS. I'll be shredding dirt while you're plowing down bottles of cheap white and frozen dinners.

In the words of the prophet Bryan Adams: "If you wanna stay young, get both feet in it."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
RANT:

So, I live here in SW Florida, where the average age is 132 years old. Been walking around for a bit in my sling when I go to the grocery store and such; primarily to remind myself not to go lifting things with that arm yet.

"Hurr durr durr; maybee you shouttnt be DOing things like that and take it easier. AT'LL teach youse. Hurr durr durr."

They generally add something like: "Stick to the easy trails. Stick to golf. Stick to (whatever)."

This is such a BOOMER attitude. "Urrp. I can't DO that no moarhh, so its gotta be BAD and he needs to take it easy."

If you play softball, and you get hit by a pitch, does it mean that you're "playing above your level"?

Enjoy heart disease BOOMERS. I'll be shredding dirt while you're plowing down bottles of cheap white and frozen dinners.

In the words of the prophet Bryan Adams: "If you wanna stay young, get both feet in it."

Wait.... are we ripping on cheap white wine? IDK if I'm down for that. If I'm going to drink wine that taste like welch's green grape juice hit puberty, I'm not paying lots of money for it - I'm just gonna get white girl wasted on whatever the food store stocks that is "technically" made of grapes. I'll throw down some cash on a quality red though.

Otherwise: yes, agreed.

Get your exercises sheet from ortho? You don't need no stinking sling.

Wait.... are we ripping on cheap white wine? IDK if I'm down for that. If I'm going to drink wine that taste like welch's green grape juice hit puberty, I'm not paying lots of money for it - I'm just gonna get white girl wasted on whatever the food store stocks that is "technically" made of grapes. I'll throw down some cash on a quality red though.

Dude, over the top. De gustibus non est disputandem. It is all real grape juice.

True story: the folks that live next door to us, one has a cousin that grows grapes around here for Welch's and others, and the cousin and her husband have their pictures on the juice bottle!

Dude, over the top. De gustibus non est disputandem. It is all real grape juice.

True story: the folks that live next door to us, one has a cousin that grows grapes around here for Welch's and others, and the cousin and her husband have their pictures on the juice bottle!

That's actually really cool.

It was really a backhanded comment aimed at the phenomenon that I witness almost daily at the supermarket:
Overweight BOOMER (generally from NY/NJ) resting the superior abdominal flabrolls on the handle of the shopping cart, shoveling unhealthy stuff into the cart - near-universally involving 3-4 of the 1.5L bottles of CAVIT pino grigio.

It was really a backhanded comment aimed at the phenomenon that I witness almost daily at the supermarket:
Overweight BOOMER (generally from NY/NJ) resting the superior abdominal flabrolls on the handle of the shopping cart, shoveling unhealthy stuff into the cart - near-universally involving 3-4 of the 1.5L bottles of CAVIT pino grigio.

Thats $6.95 at my local wine warehouse. AKA perfectly in my "deglaze the pan and then chug from the bottle" price range. Gotta respect what cheap white wine is - "technically potable".

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats $6.95 at my local wine warehouse. AKA perfectly in my "deglaze the pan and then chug from the bottle" price range. Gotta respect what cheap white wine is - "technically potable".

Yeah; I have nothing against CAVIT myself; its just that when you see the same archetype loading up 5-6 bottles at a click, it jumps out a you.

Bones won't heal without a little stress. You don't want a frozen shoulder.

Yeah; I have nothing against CAVIT myself; its just that when you see the same archetype loading up 5-6 bottles at a click, it jumps out a you.
The corner of Florida that’s west of the Everglades and south of Tampa attracts a very specific type of snowbird. Been trying to come up with a name for them for years.

Not quite the Better-than-you type of the southeast, or the parrot-heads of the Keys.

I think “the 1.5L bottle of CAVIT”-type might just be a winner.

Troll your ortho and ask him/her if they have any thoughts about your lab work or chronic conditions (make some good ones up if need be). Just be careful, they probably have this up on their wall and will refer you to it:
il_570xN.2437877705_6itq.jpg

Espana, I hear ya!
My cheap white girl almost-potable fave is Aldi's Winking Owl Pinot Grigio. Or the Bota Pinot Grigio. (I'm all about deglazing and drinking cheap white... while being environmentally conscious, and boxes are even easier to recycle. At least that's what I tell myself.) Also, boxes have handles, unlike the 1.5L Cavit.

It's also a decent white sangria base, which my family affectionately refers to as "beach coffee."
Since we're well off topic, here's a good way to break your clavicle:
1 bottle cheap white
1/4 c peach schnapps
1/4 c brandy
1/4 c Triple Sec
1/4 c sugar
2T lime juice
2T orange juice
1 cinnamon stick
Slice and add 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 lemon, 1 lime +/- strawberries/melon/peach and let soak as long as you can wait.
Pour over ice into big wineglass at home (or large tumbler if going to said beach) and enjoy, preferably not while mountain biking.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Espana, I hear ya!
My cheap white girl almost-potable fave is Aldi's Winking Owl Pinot Grigio. Or the Bota Pinot Grigio. (I'm all about deglazing and drinking cheap white... while being environmentally conscious, and boxes are even easier to recycle. At least that's what I tell myself.) Also, boxes have handles, unlike the 1.5L Cavit.

It's also a decent white sangria base, which my family affectionately refers to as "beach coffee."
Since we're well off topic, here's a good way to break your clavicle:
1 bottle cheap white
1/4 c peach schnapps
1/4 c brandy
1/4 c Triple Sec
1/4 c sugar
2T lime juice
2T orange juice
1 cinnamon stick
Slice and add 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 lemon, 1 lime +/- strawberries/melon/peach and let soak as long as you can wait.
Pour over ice into big wineglass at home (or large tumbler if going to said beach) and enjoy, preferably not while mountain biking.

This is the content I show up for.

Reactions: 3 users
RANT:

I was about to sail in with guns ablaze in defense of cheap white wine but I see I’m a little late to the party....

Taking notes on that sangria recipe though. Also @RustedFox glad you lived. I enjoy your rants.

I was about to sail in with guns ablaze in defense of cheap white wine but I see I’m a little late to the party....

Taking notes on that sangria recipe though. Also @RustedFox glad you lived. I enjoy your rants.

Hahaha. Because I always got your back, I was the first one on the "defend cheap white wine" train.

Mountain bikes are quickly replacing Bonanza's in doctor killing....

Operational history. The V-tail design gained a reputation as the "forked-tail doctor killer", due to crashes by overconfident wealthy amateur pilots, fatal accidents, and inflight breakups. "Doctor killer" has sometimes been used to describe the conventional-tailed version, as well.
Variants: Beechcraft Model 40A
Manufacturer: Beechcraft

Wow.
I'm so glad I don't do anything like that.
I'm radical enough in the stereotypical ER doctor way (hike, bike, ski, etc.)
Our residency offered us helicopter EMS shifts, which I was the first to say "no" to.
Never would I get into a rickety-ass paper plane by myself.

Excuse me while I hug the ground.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow.
I'm so glad I don't do anything like that.
I'm radical enough in the stereotypical ER doctor way (hike, bike, ski, etc.)
Our residency offered us helicopter EMS shifts, which I was the first to say "no" to.
Never would I get into a rickety-ass paper plane by myself.

Excuse me while I hug the ground.

I have been in a helicopter twice. Both as a resident. That’s two times too many.

I got to fly around in a Huey medevac helo. I'm glad it didn't land too hard.

All’s I know is that if you did it on the MTB, it was 100% worth it.

I have never had an injury I’d take back if it meant I didn’t go out riding.

I do ride the Enchilada in Moab several times a year, and have taken to packing medical supplies because I don’t think I’ve been out there and not come upon someone with an MSK injury or dangerously dehydrated. But so far the worst I’ve come out with is a cracked rib.

Last edited:
I got to fly around in a Huey medevac helo. I'm glad it didn't land too hard.

I flew a few times in a Navy Seahawk back in the summer of 2010 while volunteering with the USN, very unsettling. I became quite aware that we were one mechanical issue away from dropping out of the sky like a stone. No gliding down and maybe being able to ditch so as to have a chance at surviving, no, we were all dead if that chopper decided to crap the bed on us.

I’ll never fly in a helicopter again.

I flew a few times in a Navy Seahawk back in the summer of 2010 while volunteering with the USN, very unsettling. I became quite aware that we were one mechanical issue away from dropping out of the sky like a stone. No gliding down and maybe being able to ditch so as to have a chance at surviving, no, we were all dead if that chopper decided to crap the bed on us.

I’ll never fly in a helicopter again.

Took a helicopter-tour around the Black Hills of South Dakota in 2017. Saw Mt. Rushmore and all that. It was really awesome; but yeah - I didn't feel "safe" at all.

Trolled the ortho today via text message. Will post it tomorrow sometime. I'm not fishing the pics off my phone tonight.

They can autorotate down when everything works right.

Last edited:
@RustedFox I'm curious how you're recovery is going? I broke my clavicle Friday evening after riding off a drop. Mine is midshaft, non-displaced and incomplete. I think my hip took the brunt of the fall as I have a hematoma from my groin all the way around to my sacrum and 1/3 of the way down my thigh. I'm almost certain mine wont require surgery.

Last edited:
thumbnail_PXL_20210401_150607413.jpg

Almost fully healed. This was shot on April 1st. Surgery was February 6th.
I felt "back to normal" when I woke up from surgery.

Sorry to hear about your fall; but at least you won't be out your annual deductible. You win.