Fellows Business in Medicine Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdub25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any fellows/new grads are on here looking for business advice like I was a few years ago. If so, would there be interest in putting together a zoom type call to discuss different business topics? For fellows this would probably revolve exclusively around different job offers and how to rate them and then for newer grads there would likely be more questions about billing, collections, and growing the practice. We can go from basic stuff to very advanced like private equity deals and building out ASCs from the ground up. I would plan to have myself and at least one or two other colleagues who have had tremendous success on the business side from across the country to help diversify the answers and opinions.

The only time I’ve seen this stuff covered in the past was at a couple fellows stim courses but they were monitored for compliance and geared toward SCS. Doing this away from industry allows us to take it the direction the group needs it to go. Trouble is getting it organized and the word out so I figured I give this a try.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious if any fellows/new grads are on here looking for business advice like I was a few years ago. If so, would there be interest in putting together a zoom type call to discuss different business topics? For fellows this would probably revolve exclusively around different job offers and how to rate them and then for newer grads there would likely be more questions about billing, collections, and growing the practice. We can go from basic stuff to very advanced like private equity deals and building out ASCs from the ground up. I would plan to have myself and at least one or two other colleagues who have had tremendous success on the business side from across the country to help diversify the answers and opinions.

The only time I’ve seen this stuff covered in the past was at a couple fellows stim courses but they were monitored for compliance and geared toward SCS. Doing this away from industry allows us to take it the direction the group needs it to go. Trouble is getting it organized and the word out so I figured I give this a try.

This is a great idea. I'd be happy to help facilitate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Can attendings who are gormless join too?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'd love to attend and to advertise on the fellows-only discord group if that's alright with you

I’m still a resident but I would love to hear about this sort of thing for pain. Let me know if I could join too!

Just open private practice in the last year, five years out of fellowship, would love to be involved!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of interest it seems like. We may be on to something. I need to start really thinking this through and consider how to best approach it. Questions submitted ahead of time and address most common ones first? Pick a few topics to broadly cover and then field a grab bag of questions from the group? Leave it just as question and answer from the beginning? Fielding real life job offers and talking through the variables and how to discuss with the employer is something I think everyone would benefit from as well.

Thoughts?

Lots of interest it seems like. We may be on to something. I need to start really thinking this through and consider how to best approach it. Questions submitted ahead of time and address most common ones first? Pick a few topics to broadly cover and then field a grab bag of questions from the group? Leave it just as question and answer from the beginning? Fielding real life job offers and talking through the variables and how to discuss with the employer is something I think everyone would benefit from as well.

Thoughts?
I think it would have to be a series. So much to cover and lots of different perspectives. Evaluating job offers, starting a brand new private practice, marketing, tax strategies (there are CPA firms that specialize in physician taxes and work remotely - I bet we could get one of them to join in in exchange for getting their name out to a big group of residents and fellows). This could turn in to the next WCI…

I think job offers is going to be a good place to start, this time of year. How to know if a private practice is offering a fair deal or just looking for grist for the mill, etc.

Agree about making it a series. New private practice here. Interested in improving credentialing process, insurance contracting, minimizing overhead, improving collections, effective marketing, taxes.

I used to give a dinner talk to the local fellows about private practice

The main point I hit was: billing and coding, and reimbursement with ASIPP fee schedules so that they would understand how much our services are actually worth. What collections should look like. That drives the negotiations behind any job offer.

Thoughts?
This is a great idea and I would be interested in it as well.
Regarding the topics, we would benefit in learning about the immediate financial implications that occur around completing the fellowship such as how to read a contract, what to look for/put into a contract, the different types of practices (HOPD, PP, employed) and reimbursement basics (collections-based, RVU-based, salaried), and documentation to capture appropriate billing levels.

I would be interested in joining as well

Not a current fellow yet or a new grad but would love to join and learn if possible

Definitely interested! Just graduated a year ago, struck out on my own and took over a retiring doc’s practice. Half the time I feel like I’m still bumbling around, but making it work well enough. Would love to glean from others knowledge and possibly share some things I’ve learned too

I would also be interested! I graduated 2 years ago but have only been doing anesthesia because I'm unsure of the business of a modern day pain practice with reimbursements dwindling and startup costs exploding... I havent been convinced if setting up your own shop is worth it compared to getting 500-600k guaranteed doing anesthesia in this hot market..