Fellowship Funding- aProgDirector and GutOnc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this post is specifically directed at the moderators aProgDirector and GutOnc as I have seen that they have answered questions on my topic in the past. And sorry in advance if you are repeating yourself but I just wanted to clarify a few things.

I completed IM residency and am currently in my first year of Pulm/CC fellowship. I am considering leaving the fellowship at the end of this year (after completing my PGY 4 year), working for a few years, and reapplying to Heme/Onc.

My main concern is funding since I already completed 1 year of fellowship. I have read a lot from you guys about the residency funding issues but I haven't heard about fellowship funding as much.

Will this be an issue for me when reapplying? I think I saw somewhere that medicare funding for fellowship isn't the same as residency funding and this should be an issue?

I would appreciate any information/insight regarding fellowship funding and my particular situation.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, it should not matter.

For Medicare funding, your institution only gets 1.0 full time employment (FTE) pay during your initial residency period (IRP). The IRP is set by what type of program program you initially match into: e.g., 3 years of Int Med. So it would become an issue if you wanted to switch to a longer residency training program - you would still only have 1.0 FTE for just 3 years and for the rest, the training program would only get 0.5 FTE.

For IM fellowships, if funded by Medicare, they always get 0.5 FTE because you are past your IRP. And some fellowships may also use other funding sources. It should not be an issue, but you can always ask the financial person at the particular fellowship program to make sure. (It's a bit more complicated than what I outlined above, but to a first approximation, it should be a decent guide).

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't you talk to your PD and just do one more year, and be CC certified? At least get something out of your year of fellowship.

Then you could work in ICUs for the years off before heme/onc and make more money.

To my knowledge, it should not matter.

For Medicare funding, your institution only gets 1.0 full time employment (FTE) pay during your initial residency period (IRP). The IRP is set by what type of program program you initially match into: e.g., 3 years of Int Med. So it would become an issue if you wanted to switch to a longer residency training program - you would still only have 1.0 FTE for just 3 years and for the rest, the training program would only get 0.5 FTE.

For IM fellowships, if funded by Medicare, they always get 0.5 FTE because you are past your IRP. And some fellowships may also use other funding sources. It should not be an issue, but you can always ask the financial person at the particular fellowship program to make sure. (It's a bit more complicated than what I outlined above, but to a first approximation, it should be a decent guide).

Agreed. there are no funding issues with your situation.

Someone appears to prefer the moral hazard to the picking up the pieces and having hard conversations.

Reactions: 1 user