MPH Fellowship vs Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pudu2009

Tiniest deer
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Earlier this year, I went to a fellowships panel event at my school and learned some very interesting information, including that a fellowship would lead to better job opportunities down the line. Of course, pay and benefits would not be as good as a regular job, but they're only for one or two years and may be worth looking into based on the experience they would provide. I know it's a little early to be thinking about this, but it's been nagging me for months and thought maybe I would reach out to some of the more seasoned members of this forum for opinions.

Here is a little background info in case it helps. I am fairly certain that I don't want to get a PhD, as I'm more interested in applied epidemiology rather than becoming a PI. However, I haven't completely ruled out DrPH programs or osteopathic medical school (with my GPA I doubt allo will be an option), but that won't be for a few years after I graduate. I have some work experience with SAS and will be taking coursework in advanced SAS, GIS, and possibly R before I graduate. I am an epidemiology concentrator and will be scheduling my practicum for the fall (my program is weird that way).

So based on this information, what is do you think about the fellowship vs. job question? Just to clarify, I am not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, I just want to get some opinions. I figured I should get a head start on this so that I am ready to go next fall when applications open. If they have another fellowships panel next year, I'll definitely attend in case anything changes. Thank you for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that fellowships are great in that they get you real-life experience plus they offer the flexibility of exploring and learning more in a lower pressure environment.

If your life isn't on rails right now and you have the flexibility (financially, time, geography), I think it's never a bad thing to explore the opportunity!

However, if you can get your ideal job right away, I wouldn't put a fellowship ahead of that. I'd rather go for that.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 user