Fellowships after neurosurgery? Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jargon124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are most neurosurgery residency programs 6 years or 7? Do people generally do a fellowship after neurosurgery? I know it is required for pediatric neurosurgery (2years), but besides that are there actually fellowships?

Also, I'm wondering what people think about the work load during neurosurgery residency as opposed to general surgery. About the same? I would guess so.

One last question about fellowships in general. Do you usually end up doing your fellowship at the program where you did your residency? Or do people have a good chance to move?

Thanks for all your insight. I'm just a lowly med school applicant right now, but I'm curious (and a little obsessive ;) ).

Members don't see this ad.

from a general surgery applicant standpoint:

neurosurgery hours/work > general surgery hours/work

And general surgeon's work hard!

Neurosurgery residency is usually a total of 7-8 years (usually seven). When programs say that they offer a 6 year program, they usually mean 6 years after your PG1 year. All programs require a one-year preliminary internship in general surgery. Most programs also have a one year research peroid within the residency.

There are many fellowships in neurosurgery including: functional, epilepsy, vascular, pediatric, spine, skull based, neuro-oncology, and probably more. You can do your fellowship at the same hospital or at another. The decision will probably depend on which type of fellowship you are interested in and where such fellowships are available.

Residency is a lot of hours and a lot of hard work. And so is the rest of your career after residency.

Good luck, (you only have about 13 years of training left after you finish college).

Jova

Members don't see this ad :)
Are most neurosurgery residency programs 6 years or 7? Do people generally do a fellowship after neurosurgery? I know it is required for pediatric neurosurgery (2years), but besides that are there actually fellowships?

Also, I'm wondering what people think about the work load during neurosurgery residency as opposed to general surgery. About the same? I would guess so.

One last question about fellowships in general. Do you usually end up doing your fellowship at the program where you did your residency? Or do people have a good chance to move?

Thanks for all your insight. I'm just a lowly med school applicant right now, but I'm curious (and a little obsessive ;) ).

Do you want to be a neurosurgeon? Because this is not a field for wallflowers, it is not a field for wannabes or prestige seekers or money ******, it is a field in which only people who genuinely want to do neurosurgery (which incidentally, is a whole lot more than just brains) survive. The workload is crippling. It is grueling, the people are not very nice and your patients will frequently die no matter what you do. Residency is 7 years, some places say six but that's only if you don't count prelim (so 7). Fellowship is really your call, most people don't want even more training after 15 years of it (UG+MS+R) but if you want to do it, it's an option.

If OP got into med school during the cycle this was posted, he or she has been a neurosurgery attending for going on two years now. Assuming no fellowship.

Edit: looks like they went Path instead.

Reactions: 1 users
If OP got into med school during the cycle this was posted, he or she has been a neurosurgery attending for going on two years now. Assuming no fellowship.

Edit: looks like they went Path instead.

I may have missed the date. Whoops.

Reactions: 1 user