Feminine-presenting interviewee wearing a tie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, I wouldn't care one bit if you wore a tie as long as it goes with the outfit and neither should your interviewers. However, i think you should avoid terms like "gender-fluid" or "gender-queer". Not because they are wrong or I don't approve, but simply because they are dumb terms for a real identity people have.

Just put for gender "unsure" or "questioning". It appears much more professional than stating you are a "gender fluid, demisexual fox-kin who sexually identifies as a refrigerator."

Then again, I could be wrong. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Genderfluid and Genderqueer are appropriate terms to use. Genderfluid and Questioning/unsure are under the Genderqueer "catch all" label.

It's normal to feel that some labeling can seem to be excessive and unnecessary. Some are nonsensical such as refrigerator-sexual for instance... But Genderfluid/Genderqueer should not be considered excessive.

If you're still unsure about this, we can have a discussion by DM/PM.

------------------

@queerMD, it might help us if you could find a photo that's similar to what you're going for.

You could go tie-less and buttoned all the way up. With an appropriate "power-suit", the look might suit you.
54ac4dfc74a4a_-_a-women-suits-elv.jpg

You could also wear a tie. But I think it would matter on the overall look.
2e2449596a97047bfd4232ef9d3b6167.jpg

But what generally applies:
1) No pitch black suits.
2) No pitch black ties.
3) No weird colours.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For me, it's about how the person wears it and if it seems to fit them.

I initially purchased a 'power suit' of sorts but ended up opting for a skirt suit because I didn't carry it well and anyone would've recognized my discomfort.

My initial reason for wanting to wear one was because I'm a tomboyish lesbian and never quite enjoyed skirts.

Anyway, If you aren't comfortable not wearing a tie and pant suit, wear a tie and pant suit. Confidence matters.

Edit: Or the brooch things... those are nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Your statement of "either you're male, female, or you are unsure/questioning" is just incorrect. Gender is a socially constructed idea unlike sex. It is absolutely possible for someone to feel like they are somewhere in between a man and a woman. Gender is not a binary term like sex. Sex, gender and sexuality are all three completely different things.

You and I are lucky to feel the way the body parts we are born with. Some people not much so. It's extremely difficult to live this world while everyone invalidates who you are because you don't look the way you feel. It's something us cis-gendered will never fully understand - but we can be passionate about it.

I mean I know we are getting into philosophical territory, but I really think that at this point we are over complicating gender. Either you're male, female, or you are unsure/questioning. At least professionally we do not need all of these ridiculous terms like gender fluid, gender queer, and all of these constantly morphing sexual identities. Just put that you are questioning, I'm unsure, or experimenting. It's just more professional.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your statement of "either you're male, female, or you are unsure/questioning" is just incorrect. Gender is a socially constructed idea unlike sex. It is absolutely possible for someone to feel like they are somewhere in between a man and a woman. Gender is not a binary term like sex. Sex, gender and sexuality are all three completely different things.

You and I are lucky to feel the way the body parts we are born with. Some people not much so. It's extremely difficult to live this world while everyone invalidates who you are because you don't look the way you feel. It's something us cis-gendered will never fully understand - but we can be passionate about it.
Jw, is there any scientific literature that can point to gender fluidity existing in a chemical sense, or is it rather a I feel this way because I do. Very uneducated in this topic, because as others stated, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer
Check out the reference section.

Science of genderqueer is still ongoing- it is an area that had been set aside (or ignored) for a very long time. I work with a lot of trans/genderqueer patients and the difference it makes in their mental health when we help them look the way they feel (via hormone therapy, surgery, or just the way they dress) is incredible.

Jw, is there any scientific literature that can point to gender fluidity existing in a chemical sense, or is it rather a I feel this way because I do. Very uneducated in this topic, because as others stated, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Whether you like it or not, medicine is a very conservative field. Wear the tie if you want, but if other females aren't wearing it, then you will look like a buffoon. Staff will question it for sure.

Me personally...? I don't give a **** what gender you are, who you like to have sex with, what religion you are, if you like to play dress up, it don't matter. Do whatever makes you happy.

Your stats got you into the interview, act like a decent human being, and be honest. Don't try to ruffle feathers but be you.

The last thing you need to worry about at an interview is a goddamn tie lol

Mmm, this is the best I can find for now. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26753630

I don't have access, so I'm not sure how well this article represents current literature. But no basic science research on this topic that I can find so far. How would you even model gender fluidity anyway?

But though it doesn't make sense to us, it makes sense to the people who identify under this category, it seems. The best we can do is be accommodating to the pain and discomfort they feel about their gender identity (or lack thereof).
Whether you like it or not, medicine is a very conservative field. Wear the tie if you want, but if other females aren't wearing it, then you will look like a buffoon. Staff will question it for sure.

Me personally...? I don't give a **** what gender you are, who you like to have sex with, what religion you are, if you like to play dress up, it don't matter. Do whatever makes you happy.

Your stats got you into the interview, act like a decent human being, and be honest. Don't try to ruffle feathers but be you.

The last thing you need to worry about at an interview is a goddamn tie lol
You're right. You want to stand out as much as you want to fit in... if that makes sense. Anyway, an individual with feminine characteristics wearing a tie may not be seen as common outside of the fashion world, but I know some school uniforms have them... .
Uniform.jpg

school-uniform-row_1576781f.jpg
girls_senior_25364.jpg

I tried on (and purchased) a pantsuit this weekend with traight-leg pants-similar in style to a conventional men's suit. The only shirt in store that was suitable (translation--not floral, ruffled, or deep v) was a white button up. I looked like a waiter/penguin in the black/white combo so they recommended a tie--I looked fabulous :cool:. I was unsure how this would go over with admissions-so I got an opinion from one of the (male) surgeons that I work with. He is quite fashion-forward, very aware and accepting, and is familiar with med school admissions as he has been involved in academic medicine his whole career (in both very urban and very rural). He said although it was a good look, women don't usually wear ties - it makes them look a little too progressive. He recommended a simple blouse or a very nice fitted t-shirt. Hope that helps.

Wish there were more posts like this on this thread. It makes me feel more optimistic about the future.

I'd also consider whether or not you would want to go to a school that discriminates against gender fluid people if you were LGBTQIAP+. It seems like OP is prepping for an interview at a good school, so I would wear a tie if I were you.

My 2 cents: I would go for a pants/jacket/button up without a tie. You can definitely get a cut of suit and shirt that is more masc of center if you like, but I think a tie might come across like "trying to make a statement/ be trendy". When I was on the interview trail I saw a couple female presenting people in suits that likely read as "lesbian" to most, but still as "professional". That said I would wear something you will feel comfortable and confident in (if a tie, so be it), but otherwise as conservative as possible. Even if the school overall has a good stance on gender expression you can never be sure of who will be interviewing you.

good luck!