Ferkauf Combined PsyD vs LIU Post Clinical PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1098739

Hi, all - I am trying to decide between Ferkauf's combined School-Clinical Child PsyD program and LIU Post's Clinical PsyD program. I am also waitlisted at Rutger's Clinical PsyD but am not sure how that will turn out. Currently, I am leaning towards Ferkauf due to location, program reputation, and the child focus. I would love any thoughts anyone has on either program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
LIU would be the cheaper option (both expensive), but I am trying to put that aside for now and see which school would be a better fit.
Honestly, regardless of how good the fit is, no clinical psych program is worth >$53,000/year. I'd decline and reapply elsewhere for next year.

1616605984743.png

Reactions: 1 users
I am also waitlisted at Rutger's Clinical PsyD but am not sure how that will turn out.
My understanding is that Rutgers is fully funded and very competitive so if you got an interview and a waitlist spot, even you don't make it this year, you could likey bolster your application and re-apply, rather than take out massive loans for a PsyD program that will likely have significantly worse educational and professional outcomes.

Both are crazy expensive before even factoring in the cost of living in the NY metro area. Also, I'm not sure if you mean fit in a research sense or clinical (in which case we would need more information about what line of research you are most excited by), but clinically, both have pretty much the same external training options, as NY/NJ/CT have a training consortium for externship: nynjadot.apa.org. That's another thing to consider as being equal between the 2. However, the costs and subsequent loans just don't make sense for average salaries for psychologists, including expected earnings in NYC.

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is that Rutgers is fully funded and very competitive so if you got an interview and a waitlist spot, even you don't make it this year, you could likey bolster your application and re-apply, rather than take out massive loans for a PsyD program that will likely have significantly worse educational and professional outcomes.
I think it's half-funded, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, even if it was unfunded, in-state tuition for the entire program would be about the same as one year at these other programs.

Reactions: 1 user
My best friend is a dentist and has approx. 400ish loans. He does well and will likely pay them off at some point. I was bored and, well....that's what you'd have if you go to one of these programs....for a doctorate in psych (oh and likely not good training on top of that). Just....don't.

Paying 50k in tuition alone yearly, for a psych degree, is a phenomenally poor financial decision. This amount of debt alone is life changing, add in living costs and multiply that by 4-5, and that is simply ludicrous.

Reactions: 1 users
Paying 50k in tuition alone yearly, for a psych degree, is a phenomenally poor financial decision. This amount of debt alone is life changing, add in living costs and multiply that by 4-5, and that is simply ludicrous.
And other fees for attendance and internship-related costs and accrued interest.

So we are talking roughly $250-300k before interest for the privilege of earning RN money. The deals keep getting better and better.

Reactions: 2 users