few years out of school..? Non acc fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tee Cell

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a board certified anesthesiologist about 6 years out of training in the New York area. I am considering applying for non accredited pain fellowships. I would like to practice pain and anesthesia. I was wondering if anyone has experienced significant insurance or credentialing issues following completion of non accredited pain fellowships. I know these fellowships are common, but I am trying to access any future difficulty in the job market in my area.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for an accredited program first. Don't run the potential risk of having to have limitations to your work potential in the future, regardless of the current climate.

If you don't get in, THEN think about a non-accredited program...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Too risky of a proposition if you ask me: why give up your current income for something in the future that is not a sure thing?! It is one thing to go back to an ACGME fellowship (you have a guaranteed paper that certifies you to everyone), versus giving up what you have now and getting something that's definitely less than a sure thing.... Always place your bets on a sure thing, especially since what you'll give up (one year attending salary) is a substantial sum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
In this day and age when NPs and CRNAs are trying to take over our profession you need every advantage you can get to attest to your superior skills and training. I wouldn't even think about a nonaccredited program nowadays

I would agree somewhat, I did a non acgme spine fellowship couple of years ago, and no problems credentialing with insurance companies but issues arise with some hospitals as they want you to be pain boarded, also i got mostly basic lumbar procedure exposure, barely any rf or cervical injections, so that is
a limitation in most pain jobs, if I had to it again, would pick acgme pain fellowship , especially as mentioned above crna trying to take over this field, you need every advantage