DO Ffcd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrruffles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All of your state schools. Your application, numbers, and experiences seem to give you a strong chance at some of the Cali MDs. If you're adding Einstein, add Rochester, Stony Brook, Downstate, Hofstra, Jefferson, and Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I am finalizing my school list and was hoping I could get some advice. I'll appreciate any help I can get.

California resident. state school. Bio major
URM African (sub-Saharan)
3.5 overall 3.45 science
strong upward trend
year of retroactive withdraw due to immediate family deaths
509 MCAT C/P 127 CARS 125 B/B 126 P/S 131

ECs
-5 years tutoring refugee/esl students
-2 years ER/greeting patients at hospital
-shadowed OB/GYN in US for 30hrs
-make/serve meals to the homeless community 4-6 times a year since 2013
-3 years volunteering at student-run free clinic in Mexico, officer for two of the years (involved shadowing family docs/peds from US , but I'm currently seeking more within US)
-2 years of research on science education (no pubs/posters)
-worked part time my last year
-2 year gap - another death, helped family
-since then- working as a lab instructor introducing young students to stem
-started a minority health awareness/promotion org- is now a student org
-took MCAT 5/13/17

This is my list so far:

UCSF

UCSD

UCLA

Keck

Drew

Davis

Riverside

Irvine

Loma Linda -maybe

Einstein

Howard

Meharry

Morehouse

BU

Rush

Drexel

George Washington

Wayne

Cincinnati

Oakland

Indiana

Miami

Loyola

Central Michigan

Creighton

Are there any schools I should take out/add? Thank you!

Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a few DO schools as a backup plan. I'd suggest Western U Pomona, RVU Colorado, PCOM PA, and KCU.

All of your state schools. Your application, numbers, and experiences seem to give you a strong chance at some of the Cali MDs. If you're adding Einstein, add Rochester, Stony Brook, Downstate, Hofstra, Jefferson, and Temple.
Thank you so much for the advice!

Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a few DO schools as a backup plan. I'd suggest Western U Pomona, RVU Colorado, PCOM PA, and KCU.
Thank you! I will look into them and start after submitting amcas!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I will look into them and start after submitting amcas!

Look at the original 5 DO programs (PCOM, DMU, AT Still KCOM, CCOM, and KCU) and RVU to start! Also, if you want to stay in CA I'd look at Western U in Pomona over Touro CA. Much better program!

Look at the original 5 DO programs (PCOM, DMU, AT Still KCOM, CCOM, and KCU) and RVU to start! Also, if you want to stay in CA I'd look at Western U in Pomona over Touro CA. Much better program!
Thanks so much!! Appreciate it!

Thanks for the tip! Are there any schools you would recommend I take off or any that I add?
As long as you include your CA schools and the HBCU's, you can add any schools you might prefer to them. You may delete any schools that you do not prefer to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you include your CA schools and the HBCU's, you can add any schools you might prefer to them. You may delete any schools that you do not prefer to them.
Good to know! Thank you, this helps a lot! I think I'll say goodbye to Omaha.

Reactions: 1 user
Central Michigan accepts few non residents so you could remove it. You could add Georgetown and St. Louis.

Thanks! Is that the only glaringly off school on the list?

Hi @LizzyM
Would you like to add any of your wisdom to the great advice I've received?

Cut your list to not more than 20. After that you just wear yourself out.

Since I am applying to 8 schools in my state and 3 HBCUs. I am left with 9 spots to fill. How do you recommend I choose those 9 schools?

Since I am applying to 8 schools in my state and 3 HBCUs. I am left with 9 spots to fill. How do you recommend I choose those 9 schools?

If it were the only school to offer you admission, would you attend without hesitation?

If you were admitted to every school under consideration, which would you attend? Eliminating that school, repeat the exercise. When you have picked the 9 you'd be most likely to attend if offered admission at all of them, then you have your list.

Buy the MSAR and look at the schools' websites including descriptions of curriculum and grading policies.

@Faha
Out of curiosity if he would have scored a 515+ would you still suggest to remove Harvard, Columbia, and Hopkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.