FIIIIIINALLY... DAT Done 9/4/13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCLewis90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the DAT this morning, and I'm happy with my scores overall. This was my 3rd attempt at this beast of a test. The first time I took the DAT, I had absolutely no clue what to expect. I didn't know about SDN, and I barely even studied because my dad told me he didn't study and did fine (in the 1970's :eek:). So yea.. I didn't do very good lol. The second time, I pretty much focused on the sciences during my studying. My science scores were decent, but nothing else was (PAT and RC scores of 16). SOOO... I retook the DAT this morning after using nearly all of the study materials talked about on SDN. And my scores were:

PAT: 23:love:
RC: 20
QR: 17 :confused:
Bio: 24 :love:
GC: 18 :mad:
OC: 22:D
TS: 21
AA: 20

SNS: Bio 24 / GC 18 / OC 22 / TS 21
The science section was a lot harder than I expected it to be! Only because of Gen Chem. There were several problems that I had no clue how to solve. I don't remember seeing them in Chad's, Destroyer, or Bootcamp. Last time I took the DAT, I made a 20 in Gen Chem, so it kinda upset me to drop 2 points this time. Hopefully the 18 won't hurt my chances. The Bio wasn't too bad, and the OChem was pretty straight-forward. Nothing very difficult, but I'm not sure what I missed.

PAT: 23
The PAT section wasn't too bad. Seemed to be a good bit easier than Bootcamp. I averaged about a 21 on Bootcamp. Averaged a 22-23 on Crack DAT PAT. Made a 23 on the 2009 ADA Practice DAT. Keyholes and TFE weren't bad. Some angles were a little tough. Hole punches were easy. Cube Counting was easy. Pattern Folding was easy (Bootcamp is a must!). I was shooting for a 24 in this section, but I'm definitely happy with a 23! Improved my score by 7 points from the last attempt at the DAT.

The RC section wasn't bad. Everything was pretty Search & Destroyable. My strategy was to read the first 3 questions and get the keywords from them, then read the passage. When I came across the keywords, I'd answer the questions then read the next question. I had one passage on Epithelial and Mesenchyme tissue, one passage on Ethics, and I can't remember what the other was about. The last time I took the DAT, the passages were EXTREMELY hard and I just freaked out because I was losing A LOT of time. But it was pretty easy reading this time.

QR: 17
Aaaahhhh.... I really thought I made better than a 17 in this section. I breezed through it, and thought it was pretty easy. There were a few questions where I came up with the answer (I was almost POSITIVE my answer was right), but my answer wasn't even a choice.. Guess I just did it wrong. But I really thought I did better. There really weren't but a couple fairly difficult problems. Hopefully the 17 won't hurt my chances.

As far as study materials: Chad's and Destroyer are a MUST! Crack DAT PAT really helped me to understand the PAT section. DAT Bootcamp helped me to improve on what I learned from CDP. Those two are an awesome combination! Bootcamp is great for everything!

I've read on SDN about how good it feels to finally be done with the DAT. I've stressed over this test for 2 years now, and I can say how AMAZING it feels to score well. A huge weight has lifted off of my shoulders. My scores aren't as high as some of the SDN'ers, but I'm pretty happy with them. But I could not have scored what I scored without this forum. Thanks to everyone who answered any questions I had.

The more work you put into your studying, the better you'll do. Do as many practice problems as you can! The more you expose yourself to, the more you'll learn and the better you'll do on your test. You CAN score well on the DAT. Just work hard, devote yourself to it 110%, and pray hard.

So my question is: What do you think my chances are? My main school of interest is MUSC (my state school). I interviewed last year but didn't get in because of my DAT score. They told me that they look at the highest AA and highest PAT score (which was 18 AA / 17 PAT at the time). Now mine is 20 AA / 23 PAT. I also have an overall GPA of 3.81 and a science GPA of 3.7something. Thousands of hours of shadowing and work experience, and some volunteer work. Will the 17 QR and 18 GC hurt my chances?

THANKS GUYS!!

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Awww yeahhhh! good job! :D

I think you'd have a much better chance now, especially with that increase in AA/PAT.

:highfive:

Congrats on your scores! What were your scores on the 2009 ADA and how comparable would you say it was?

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo woo! Well done!!

Awww yeahhhh! good job! :D

I think you'd have a much better chance now, especially with that increase in AA/PAT.

:highfive:

Thanks guys! Do you think the 17 QR and 18 GC will hurt?

Congrats on your scores! What were your scores on the 2009 ADA and how comparable would you say it was?

Thanks! On the 2009 ADA, my scores were (according to the score conversion sheet that's floating around):

TS: 19 (Hadn't studied but 1/4 of Bio and wasn't through with GC at the time)

So it was VERY VERY accurate!

I thought sure I was going to do better on QR on the real thing because I was averaging 18-19 on Bootcamp which is much harder than the real thing. Idk what happened.

How did you prepare for Math? I am aiming for a 17.

I used Chad's, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, and DAT Bootcamp. I did pretty well on all of those, so I really thought I would do better in the QR section. Not sure what happened. Practice as much as you can. Try to do some of everything every day

Thanks guys! Do you think the 17 QR and 18 GC will hurt?

Thanks! On the 2009 ADA, my scores were (according to the score conversion sheet that's floating around):

TS: 19 (Hadn't studied but 1/4 of Bio and wasn't through with GC at the time)

So it was VERY VERY accurate!

I thought sure I was going to do better on QR on the real thing because I was averaging 18-19 on Bootcamp which is much harder than the real thing. Idk what happened.

QR definitely wont hurt. most schools don't care about it and you're definitely above most cut off's. Your gpa is great, too.

Since your scores are better, I feel like you could do great if you were to land an interview with your state school again. If you've been beefing up the other areas of your application you'd look amazing as a reapplicant. Good luck!

QR definitely wont hurt. most schools don't care about it and you're definitely above most cut off's. Your gpa is great, too.

Since your scores are better, I feel like you could do great if you were to land an interview with your state school again. If you've been beefing up the other areas of your application you'd look amazing as a reapplicant. Good luck!

Thanks! I've done a little volunteer work since last application cycle and have continued to work at a local oral surgeon's office where I've been for over a year. I'm REALLY hoping the GenChem score won't hurt me. I figured the QR would be fine. Hopefully I'll be ok since they just look at AA and PAT. I'm so tired of stressing about my scores lol.

If anybody else has an opinion on whether or not my QR and GC scores will hurt me, I would really appreciate it!

I don't think the two scores will hurt you. You other scores are great. Well done :thumbup:

Thanks so much! I really hope they don't hurt my chances. I'm really nervous about that. Feels good to hear other people's opinions

The science section was a lot harder than I expected it to be! Only because of Gen Chem. There were several problems that I had no clue how to solve. I don't remember seeing them in Chad's, Destroyer, or Bootcamp.

Yo dude, I took the DAT today, and I think there was some basic conceptual stuff that I remembered from college chem but not Chad's.

But hey, nice job regardless!

Yo dude, I took the DAT today, and I think there was some basic conceptual stuff that I remembered from college chem but not Chad's.

But hey, nice job regardless!

That is a possibility.. But thanks! Hopefully the GC score won't hurt my chances

Good job. Solid effort. Congratulations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk