Final Insanity Check: Choosing Columbia over WashU and possibly Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Am i crazy to make this choice?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters

Oak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have until later today to make my decision!!

Ok. So here's the story. I'm interested in doing a PhD in developmental Neuro (cell fate type stuff) - Columbia is my best option in this respect.

But WashU or Penn (I'm not sure what to think about penn - I'm on the waitlist)? I'm from STL so i'd really like to leave for at least a little while, but washu is just sooo good/ well respected. (and things are dirt cheap here).

Do you, my fellow MSTPs, think i'm nuts?

p.s.- please don't take this as an arrogant post or anything of the sort. The same obsessive compulsive traits that make me (apparently) decent at science make it really difficult for me to see for forrest for the trees in this type of a situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Oak said:
I have until later today to make my decision!!

Ok. So here's the story. I'm interested in doing a PhD in developmental Neuro (cell fate type stuff) - Columbia is my best option in this respect.

But WashU or Penn (I'm not sure what to think about penn - I'm on the waitlist)? I'm from STL so i'd really like to leave for at least a little while, but washu is just sooo good/ well respected. (and things are dirt cheap here).

Do you, my fellow MSTPs, think i'm nuts?

p.s.- please don't take this as an arrogant post or anything of the sort. The same obsessive compulsive traits that make me (apparently) decent at science make it really difficult for me to see for forrest for the trees in this type of a situation.

Not arrogant. It is a VERY important decision. All three are great programs, so relax because it is a win-win situation.

Columbia is a great MD-PhD program and neuroscience is definitely a strength there. As I have commented on previously, location is a critical factor. New York is much better than St. Louis in every way except for cost of living.

Do not underestimate U Penn either. The U Penn MD-PhD program is also great.

From the list of what is important (neuro, new location) to you I think Columbia sounds like an ideal choice. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it!! Accepted a spot at Columbia! :D

Now I'll only have an issue if I get in at Penn. It's very nice to have at least some direction now!

see, the masses(18:0) are never wrong :D :laugh: