Finalizing Med School list - help!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member25800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm sure most of you are in the same boat. I am trying to finalize my list of schools to apply to this June.

I am from CA, female, GPA 3.71, MCAT 32

ECs = 2 years in a neuroscience research lab, 2 years hospital rotation internship, 1 quarter shadowing in clinical setting, worked at a pediatric oncology ward in Spain while studying abroad, various volunteer and odd jobs here and there

This is my school list - I know I have several reaches however they are schools I would kick myself if I didnt at least try to apply. Let me know what you think and if you have any schools to add or take away (and why!)

Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Buffalo
Charles E Scmidt?
Cooper?
Creighton
Drexel
Emory
EVMS
George Washington
Georgetown
Herbert Wertheim?
Albany
Albert Einstein
BU
Buffalo
Charles E Scmidt?
Cooper?
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU
Temple
Tulane
U of Florida
U of Miami
U of Washington
UC Davis
UCF
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
VCU
Cooper?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@member25800 You should delete all the FL schools excluding Miami. Do you have a reason you want to be in FL? I'd also delete Cooper

Why do you say that?

Not OOS friendly at all unless you are from Wyoming/Alaska/Montana/Idaho. 95% of acceptances come from Washington or WAMI

Florida is not OOS friendly either.

Last edited:
In my opinion based on your stats (similar to mine) and residency--

Add any of the following:
Jefferson, Loyola, USF Morsani if you want (the only FL public that takes a good number of OOS), UCR (another state school for you), NYMC, Penn State, Quinnipiac, Hofstra-LIJ, Wake Forest, MCW, Arizona-Tucson, Arizona-Phoenix, Ohio State

All of these schools take decent to good percentages of OOS students. Be sure to read up on their school details and missions (if applicable), and be comfortable with spending 4 years in that location.

Drop:
UCF, Florida, FAU-Charles E. Schmidt, FIU-Herbert Wertheim, Washington (chances are basically zero), Buffalo

Very poor OOS chances for all of these schools.

Unsure:
Cooper. It's a new school and I know it does have some preference for NJ residents. You would be better served with one of the other new private schools, but applying to Cooper wouldn't be a throw-away app either.

Definitely add USF Morsani they take a decent number of OOS applicants.

I thought UCF took a not bad amount of OOS students as well?

Drop U of Florida

In my opinion based on your stats (similar to mine) and residency--

Add any of the following:
Jefferson, Loyola, USF Morsani if you want (the only FL public that takes a good number of OOS), UCR (another state school for you), NYMC, Penn State, Quinnipiac, Hofstra-LIJ, Wake Forest, MCW, Arizona-Tucson, Arizona-Phoenix, Ohio State

All of these schools take decent to good percentages of OOS students. Be sure to read up on their school details and missions (if applicable), and be comfortable with spending 4 years in that location.

No to Ohio State -- it takes a lot of OOS students, but only significantly above-average students. 32 MCAT is low for them. 32 is also pretty low for Wake Forest.

And on the OP's original post -- Washington and Emory would be a waste of money. Stats aren't up to snuff for those.

No to Ohio State -- it takes a lot of OOS students, but only significantly above-average students. 32 MCAT is low for them. 32 is also pretty low for Wake Forest.

And on the OP's original post -- Washington and Emory would be a waste of money. Stats aren't up to snuff for those.

OSU and Emory, and maybe Wake too, are probably reaches for OP, I agree. But at least they're generally open to taking people from OOS. Even if you're a closer to their 10th percentile, it's important to dream, right? Dream schools are ultimately OP's choice, but I think it's important to at least throw your name in the hat for a few when the majority of your schools are mid and low tier.

However, Washington is definitely not worth it.

OSU and Emory, and maybe Wake too, are probably reaches for OP, I agree. But at least they're generally open to taking people from OOS. Even if you're a closer to their 10th percentile, it's important to dream, right? Dream schools are ultimately OP's choice, but I think it's important to at least throw your name in the hat for a few when the majority of your schools are mid and low tier.

However, Washington is definitely not worth it.

I say add that Emory is almost definitely not worth it either. It's a top tier private school with an average MCAT of like 35. The OP is more than welcome to dream but some dreams are extremely out of reach.