MD Finally applying! Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoahJoy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After two gap years, I'm hoping to finally matriculate to Medical School. I graduated in 2014 with a BSc in Biology, with a concentration in Education Studies from George Mason University. My cGPA at the time was a 3.67, and sGPA 3.42. After graduating, I taught 6 months as a Middle School Science teacher here in the states, before something more appealing came up. I graduated Cum Laude, and was chosen to be a Fulbright Fellow, a post I loved dearly, and just recently returned from.

During my time off, I took Extension courses through Harvard Extension School, because there were no accredited American Universities close to where I was living. I earned 50 credits over the course of a year, and increased my cGPA to 3.78, sGPA 3.68.

During Undergrad, I was an athlete, and perhaps not as devoted to my studies as I should've been. I took the MCAT 2x while I was still in College, and scored a 23, and 26 respectively.

After I became a Fulbright Fellow, I devoted more time to my MCAT prep, and this past January, scored a 37 on my MCAT (12/12/13).

My EC's include
1. College Athletics
2. Various College EC's/Honors/Awards
3. Fulbright Fellow
4. Unite for Sight Worker (This summer in Ghana)
5. Grassroots Soccer Volunteer for 2nd Gap year

So with my cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.68, and MCAT of 37, do I have a shot at any Top 15 Programs?

The following are schools that are all my #1's
Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, Duke, CHicago, Cornell, Northwestern.

Any chance of an interview at any of these?

Members don't see this ad.

I should clarify, Harvard, Boston, or Tufts would really be awesome! I am getting married in t-minus 2 months, and my partner cannot relocate, so I think I would generally just be a more sane person if I could be closer to him!

All I can say is that I can't wait to say "Finally Applying!" I am going to have a finally-applied application party, and totally enjoy myself regardless of t he ultimate outcome!

Good luck and the best to you on your wedding and application!

I was offered a Fulbright from my university, but I couldn't take it due to family reasons. Now, I am thinking, I should have figured something else out and took it. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is that I can't wait to say "Finally Applying!" I am going to have a finally-applied application party, and totally enjoy myself regardless of t he ultimate outcome!

Good luck and the best to you on your wedding and application!
Haha it's been a long time coming. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

Reactions: 1 users
My take is that yes you have a chance to interview at those institutions - you have an interesting background and its clear you are a bright fellow (heh). Your red flags are multiple MCATs and GPA below the mean for those schools, but they may factor in your athletics and other acolades during that time and give you an interview. IMO though, you'd have to really knock them out of the park for a chance at acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
bumppp...?

So i just got the context since your last thread was vague.

You went from a 23 to a 26 to a 37 with the last score taken after 2 years? In that case, you may have some luck with adcoms dismissing the first 2 as bad prep and acknowledge the 37 as serious prep (in the most optimistic view). And you have a good upward trend.

Your GPA is alright though your sGPA is slightly low. I doubt you'll have a chance at top tiers but you should be good with lower tier MD schools who are more forgiving

So i just got the context since your last thread was vague.

You went from a 23 to a 26 to a 37 with the last score taken after 2 years? In that case, you may have some luck with adcoms dismissing the first 2 as bad prep and acknowledge the 37 as serious prep (in the most optimistic view). And you have a good upward trend.

Your GPA is alright though your sGPA is slightly low. I doubt you'll have a chance at top tiers but you should be good with lower tier MD schools who are more forgiving
Cool, do you attend a Top 15?

According to @Goro, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Columbia are among the upper-tier schools that reward reinvention. Still, it's best to apply broadly.

Good luck!

Thanks! Doesn't Vandy have pretty strict cut-offs? I feel like my sGPA is a bit low.
According to @Goro, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Columbia are among the upper-tier schools that reward reinvention. Still, it's best to apply broadly.

Good luck!

Thanks! Doesn't Vandy have pretty strict cut-offs? I feel like my sGPA is a bit low.
Some speculate that they have cut-offs for an automatic secondary. But that hasn't been confirmed by the school. Nevertheless, your overall gpa and most recent MCAT should make you competitive. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt doesn't average MCAT scores.

Some speculate that they have cut-offs for an automatic secondary. But that hasn't been confirmed by the school. Nevertheless, your overall gpa and most recent MCAT should make you competitive. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt doesn't average MCAT scores.
They superscore!

Seems to be a distinct lack of concrete advice in this thread so far.

Your GPA is fine for top 20s (Weill and Feinberg are both out of the top 15 :rolleyes:) and while the 37 is obviously impressive, the previous two attempts may count against you at certain schools. However, I don't see it as a dealbreaker anywhere unless you explain your turnaround very poorly in the essays/interview.

What about your research and clinical exposure/shadowing? Lacking either is usually a sunk ship for top 20s. Lacking the latter is a sunk ship everywhere. I'm assuming that's a teaching Fulbright?

Seems to be a distinct lack of concrete advice in this thread so far.

Your GPA is fine for top 20s (Weill and Feinberg are both out of the top 15 :rolleyes:) and while the 37 is obviously impressive, the previous two attempts may count against you at certain schools. However, I don't see it as a dealbreaker anywhere unless you explain your turnaround very poorly in the essays/interview.

What about your research and clinical exposure/shadowing? Lacking either is usually a sunk ship for top 20s. Lacking the latter is a sunk ship everywhere. I'm assuming that's a teaching Fulbright?
Yes, teaching Fulbright. I have 3 First authors, all of which are non-science. First one was in College, education based paper, second two were during Fulbright year, child/maternal health related (practices of midwives and effects of grassroots hygiene initiatives on maternal death rate)

Yes, teaching Fulbright. I have 3 First authors, all of which are non-science. First one was in College, education based paper, second two were during Fulbright year, child/maternal health related (practices of midwives and effects of grassroots hygiene initiatives on maternal death rate)

Sounds like research to me. You might even be better off with non-science research if you can fully express your interest and understanding since it makes you a more unique applicant.

What about the clinical stuff? That's much more important for your overall success.