Finally get to make one of these! TX resident...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SemperPacem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm super excited that I can finally get chanced. Please help me make a school list!

Texas Resident
sGPA: 4.0, cGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 36

-200 hours clinical volunteering
-50 hours assorted non-clinical volunteering
-40 shadowing hours
-1 publication, 3 abstracts, 3 years of research
-sports, visual art hobbies
-taking a gap year

I will apply to all the Texas schools, but I'm curious which non-Texas schools to apply to. Do I have a shot at some top schools, or should I aim mid-level?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on the great MCAT and GPA --

As you know, you're looking great for all the TX schools, which include two top-20's, UTSW and Baylor. Not to mention all of the mid-tiers, including UTH, UTHSCSA and UTMB. And, you're covered in the safety category.

For OOS, consider very carefully where it is you would rather go so much more that you would be willing to pay $40,000 more per year to attend, because that's the decision. In terms of monthly debt service, that's a $2,500 per month difference in your student loan payments after residency. Do you want to go somewhere else that much? OK then, apply there...

Do you have a shot at the top tier? Yes.

Do you have a shot at the top tier where they will want you so much that they'll throw $40,000 per year in scholarship money your way to neutralize the cost differential and entice you to accept their offer rather than UTSW or Baylor? (As opposed to accepting another well-qualified student who is happy to pay retail?) Unless your ECs are more unique and compelling than the very abbreviated description you gave makes them sound, then, uh.... probably not.

So - for OOS, apply where you'd be willing to pay the difference. Or bravely say "Forget about it!" and enjoy your summer.

Nothing wrong with aiming high!

Goro suggests:

Duke
Dartmouth
Northwestern
U Chicago
University of Michigan
U VA
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Cornell
Columbia
Yale
JHU
Harvard
NYU
Emory
U CO
U Penn
Brown
U AZ
Stanford
Einstein
Mt Sinai
BU
Loyola
U Cinci
USC
U Miami
Tulane (if you like hot/muggy with great food)

Thanks Goro and DokterMom! I appreciate the insight. Now I just gotta narrow em down...