finalsfinalsfinalsfinals

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One down, one more down this morning, then two more to go.

Anyone else in finals/midterms season right now?

Members don't see this ad.

good luck, r_salis !!

Nope, finals don't start for us till December 8th. I'm already looking forward to Thanksgiving and having a few days off.

Good luck to those on quarters taking finals right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 2 more to go, yaaay!

One nice thing about being on the quarter system is that I have a week-long break at Thanksgiving and *nothing* to study. On semesters, that 4-day break was always filled with studying (or at least thoughts of studying...).

yeah.. thanksgiving usually consists of me sitting on the couch watching college football going.. "I should study"... briefly followed by me going "who the hell am I kidding??"

:D

Good Luck with all your studying r_salis.
Cpw I saw your picture with your dog in the UHCO's broshure for this year:)

Good luck with exam you guys :cool:

OK here's one of those random question that kind of pop in my mind to ask you guys:

which schools are under quarter system and which are under semester system?

I know ICO and SCO are under quarter. Newenco just changed from quarter to semester like 1 or 2 years ago. What about the rest of the others you guys know of?

Originally posted by Simisn
Good Luck with all your studying r_salis.
Cpw I saw your picture with your dog in the UHCO's broshure for this year:)

yep.. that's me with my fuzzy buddy !! :)

And for the record... UHCO is on semesters. SCCO is on quarters. I think UCBSO is also on semesters.

SUNY is on quarters, too. (but I guess I already said that :) )

My first quarter was a little strange (I think the others are like this, too) -- we had a combined biochemistry/molecular genetics class (with a combined final, which, might I add, is OVER!!!! :D), and our anatomy class started 1/2-way through the quarter and will run through 1/2 of the winter quarter. I guess since everyone takes the same classes they can take a few liberties with the straight "one class per quarter" system.

Hey guys,

I just have more questions if you guys don't mind answering them for me. Getting myself prepared you know ;)

1. So with quarters and semesters, which do you guys think is better? I think for most people at undergraduate level (like me:cool: ), we're used to having semesters.

2. Can you see a difference between semesters and quarters? Will you have more classes to take if you have 3 quarters as opposed to 2 semesters in your year? Or, do they squeeze in more hours for semesters to make it equivalent with quarters?

I've been a Semester Woman all of my collegiate career. Based on my first quarter, my impression is that you end up with the same amount of information you would in a class that was on semesters (you just have 3 quarter parts instead of 2 semester parts), but the midterms and finals just come faster. For example, this is finals week for me, but people on semesters are just getting ready to take midterms. I think the workload of optometry school has been a bigger adjustment for me than the semester-to-quarter switch, to be honest. The one benefit to the quarter system I can think of is that it forces you to keep up on your classes because you don't get the same amount of "dead time" that you do in semesters.