Financial Aid and Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, as interview dates approach, i'm sure I am not the only one wondering about student loans finances.

Just wondering,

Does Vet School count as a "Health Care Profession"? Ive noticed that US Government Direct Loans offer a +200K lifetime loan amount. I've been fortunate, as I am only ~20K in debt. Will regular Direct US Student loans be enough, or do you typically have to look elsewhere for loan support? 15 - 20K a year should be plenty for my tuition and living expenses.

I know you can talk to the vet school about this, but I want to make sure I go into the interviews with solid answers if the questions turn financial.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be amazingly surprised if they brought up financial aid in the interview. Further, each school does it differently, so you really do need to talk to the school. At WI, we can get everything covered (tuition+living expenses) whereas other schools only cover tuition.

Basically it gets really complicated. Good luck though!

I've read a couple of supposed interview questions, and some of them blatantly asked, "How are you planning on paying for this?" and "Can you afford vet school?"

I was surprised to see such questions myself, but wanted to get info so i'm more prepared. I guess it makes sense, as they want to have every possible assurance that once accepted, you will finish the program, and for many, finance's are an issue.

Thanks for the response, it helped :)

I am a CA resident. At my Penn interview, they grilled me about how I was going to afford going to such an expensive school OS, etc. While I didn't toss out numbers, I was really glad I had thought it through a bit beforehand so could discuss it rationally.