Financial Aid -- how comfortable do you live in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if the financial aid packets (loans) people get throughout dental scool allow you to live comfortably? And what I mean by comfortably is do you at least have enough to get a decent apartment, maybe upgrade your car because my car is already 10 years old right now, and have enough for groceries without having to count every penny every month? I'm new to all this and will not have any parental support whatsoever and obviously working during dental school really won't be a viable option. So I'm entirely dependent on my aid package.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you'll have plenty to live comfortably. However how comfortable is up to you. You can get quite a bit, but it's going to be a bitch to pay it back at first.

CJWolf said:
yes, you'll have plenty to live comfortably. However how comfortable is up to you. You can get quite a bit, but it's going to be a bitch to pay it back at first.

Hahaha....nice sig CJ. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any current dental students care to be more specific about what they think "living comfortably" means in dollars. Right now I live on $1,800 a month and I think it is pretty comfortable. I've got a 2 bedroom apartment, carpayment, insurance etc.

So what kinds of budgets are you guys living on?

msf41 said:
Would any current dental students care to be more specific about what they think "living comfortably" means in dollars. Right now I live on $1,800 a month and I think it is pretty comfortable. I've got a 2 bedroom apartment, carpayment, insurance etc.

The best thing to do is call your university financial aid office and ask what the budget is and how flexible it is. Some school are very flexible and let you borrow as much as you want, while others are very strict with their budget. I know that for my school I will have 700 per month for apt and about the same for all other expenses. And from what I hear the financial aid office is pretty strict. I will have to change my expenses! I spend way more than that now every month :)

I am currently living off $1800 a quarter~3months ($300/month/each in a 3br apt) and the other $900 for food/fun/utilities/etc. The projected expenses (room/board/transportation/personal) for the 2004 incoming class at UW was for $1515/month!! I'd say that is more than enough! But then again I am not paying for car/health insurance..but I think there would be more than enough if I had to. Hope this info helps ya!

msf41 said:

After tuition and fees I get about 7000 a semester to live on. That breaks down to about 1200 a month for my expenses. Rent is 480, cable's 35, utilities are about 50, and parking is 20. I have a roommate too.

So right there i've got half my money gone from expenses and I've got about 600 for food, going out, and whatever else I have to spend it on.

I go to NYU and they give you enough to live. I believe it's around 2000/month, give or take. A small studio in Manhattan, with no roomate, no elevator, no doorman, walk up, old building probably runs about 1400-1600/month. The remainder you can use to eat and pay bills.
Of course you can always get a roomate and pay about 1000- 1300/month for a one bedroom converted into two bedrooms (many students do that to live in the city). It's cheaper to live in the other boroughs or in Jersey, but nothing beats living in Manhattan! For some reason, everyone on loans at nyu is on a really tight budget, but always manages to eat out. It's something you have to do in the city!

CJWolf said:
After tuition and fees I get about 7000 a semester to live on. That breaks down to about 1200 a month for my expenses. Rent is 480, cable's 35, utilities are about 50, and parking is 20. I have a roommate too.

So right there i've got half my money gone from expenses and I've got about 600 for food, going out, and whatever else I have to spend it on.

I am not in a dental school yet. I am just wondering if $700 living expense a month would be enough for going to a school in CA. I am okay to live in a 4 bedroom apt, so i would like to find an apt that is around $350-400, and I usually cook, so i expect to spend $100-200 for the food, and I have around $100 for other expense. I have no car, so I expect to ride my bike to school.
Do u think it's doable? What kind of part time job can we get on the first year of school? Do people usually work part time on their 1st year? Is working 10 hours a week possible?

DAT: July
will apply to: Loma Linda, Tufts, Temple, NOVA, CASE, Harvard, UPenn, USC, UOP, Buffalo, UCSF, USC, UConn, NYU, Marquette...etc

Where in California? Loma Linda is less expensive than San Fran or LA.

shingshing said:
I am not in a dental school yet. I am just wondering if $700 living expense a month would be enough for going to a school in CA. I am okay to live in a 4 bedroom apt, so i would like to find an apt that is around $350-400, and I usually cook, so i expect to spend $100-200 for the food, and I have around $100 for other expense. I have no car, so I expect to ride my bike to school.
Do u think it's doable? What kind of part time job can we get on the first year of school? Do people usually work part time on their 1st year? Is working 10 hours a week possible?

I am currently living in Tucson, AZ with $500-600 a month in total, $300 rent and util, 100-200 from food, and $100 other expense.
will apply to: Loma Linda, Tufts, Temple, NOVA, CASE, Harvard, UPenn, USC, UOP, Buffalo, UCSF, USC, UConn, NYU, Marquette...etc

Jaws said:
Where in California? Loma Linda is less expensive than San Fran or LA.
Loma linda and UOP i hope...

right now at my job i live off 1300 per month. 250 per month rent plus utilites, no car payment, 50 per month car insurance, 65 per month cell phone bill.

My life sucks because my yealry car insurance is $3600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :eek: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
shingshing said:

I am currently living in Tucson, AZ with $500-600 a month in total, $300 rent and util, 100-200 from food, and $100 other expense.

In Cali it depend where. schools like
USC: need to need in a better area cause it is the getto getto
UCLA: expensive in general.

LLU: cheapest of all but expensive tuition, but boring(u will save quite bit of money cause there is nothing to do.

Bay area UCSF n UOP: i am not so sure, but i would not be surprised if it cost more than Southern Cali

aceking said:
Bay area UCSF n UOP: i am not so sure, but i would not be surprised if it cost more than Southern Cali

I'm going to UOP next year and they have budgeted $1925 a month for those of us living off-campus ($1635 for on-campus). I'm planning on living with my boyfriend, and am not expecting to need all of money. We will probably get a 1 br near UOP (very expensive area) for ~$1500 a month, and I expect to spend around $500 for food and bills (he will add an additional $500), and we will have a car payment too. In total I expect to spend around $1500-$1600 a month.

San Francisco is expensive, but it's a great city, and worth the expense in my opinion. :D

JakeMUSC said:
My life sucks because my yealry car insurance is $3600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :eek: :mad:

Get a motorcycle. Should be fun around charleston (just stay out of n. charleston!)

The Godfather said:
Get a motorcycle. Should be fun around charleston (just stay out of n. charleston!)
LoL. North Chucktown has such a great reputation....... :laugh: I think I saw it listed as a top-10 dangerous city in America based on population/per rate...dont worry there is a huge river and a highway that separates Downtown Charleston and N.Charleston. :laugh:

So I hear that insurance rates go down at the age of 25? Is that right? Im 23...2 years of 3,600 will kick my butt.

JakeMUSC said:
You must be driving your avatar.... or just a bad driver :confused:

IcemanDDS said:
You must be driving your avatar.... or just a bad driver :confused:
umm...I would love to say my avatar :love: . I wouldnt say a bad driver...just maybe unlucky and careless? I had one ticket for going straight in a turn only lane (didnt see the sign), one speeding ticket (I-95 has tons of cops, and I was late for Turkey dinner), one accident where some jerk came into my lane and hit me head on, and one accident where some jerk was speeding and I pulled out in front of him (he was speeding and it was dark, but still my fault I guess ). .... I guess it all adds up...

JakeMUSC said:
umm...I would love to say my avatar :love: . I wouldnt say a bad driver...just maybe unlucky and careless? I had one ticket for going straight in a turn only lane (didnt see the sign), one speeding ticket (I-95 has tons of cops, and I was late for Turkey dinner), one accident where some jerk came into my lane and hit me head on, and one accident where some jerk was speeding and I pulled out in front of him (he was speeding and it was dark, but still my fault I guess ). .... I guess it all adds up...
hes lying. Hes the only d1 student in america that drives a lambo.

JakeMUSC said:
LoL. North Chucktown has such a great reputation....... :laugh: I think I saw it listed as a top-10 dangerous city in America based on population/per rate...dont worry there is a huge river and a highway that separates Downtown Charleston and N.Charleston. :laugh:

So I hear that insurance rates go down at the age of 25? Is that right? Im 23...2 years of 3,600 will kick my butt.

Yeah I know all about chaaahlston - I'm from Columbia. Your rates will go down, just remember to ask for a break (a lot of insurance co.s aren't going to go out of their way to get less money from you). Your insurance is also probably high because you had a bunch of stuff occur within a short period of time. To them, you're statistically likely to continue the same way. Similar thing happened to me. Nothing to do but chill for a few years (and maybe buy a radar detector). :thumbup:

All that I know is that whatever I get it is going to suck. I will be going from about 10K/month to less than 1000 with my student loans. I guess I had better get my wifey back to full time to support my lazy ass.