Financial Planning/Financing Grad School/Savings Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So 6 months ago a local bank had a really good promotional CD rate for new customers, so I signed up for it and put about $20k in there (2.75% APY). Anyway, it comes due tomorrow and I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

I don't want to risk it at all, so money market, stocks, and mutual funds are out of the question. All the CD rates right now pretty much suck, and I don't want to lock my money away for more than 6 months since I'll need it in August.

For those of you saving for PT school, where do you have your money? I found a 529 savings account that has like 1% APY. That's appealing to me since you don't have to pay tax on the interest if you use it for school related purchases (room/board, tuition, books, etc.). But at the same time, the interest on any of these accounts are going to be so little anyway that paying tax on it won't matter.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

oh, so I came across some other similar topics on other forums....and it spawned another question.

When it comes to getting financial aid, I know it's better to not have any money, because if I have a hefty lump sum sitting in the bank account, FAFSA won't want to give me money.

Is the same true for loans? Will it be easier/harder to get a loan if I have $20k or so in the bank?

One of my friends told me I should either give the money to my parents to hold on to so it's not in my name, or to go buy a car or something with it (which I was looking into anyway) prior to applying for financial aid.

If I were to give up the money, would that potentially screw me over if I were to try to rent an apartment w/o a parent co-signing? Or would I be better off using the money as a down payment on a condo or something prior to applying for financial aid?

I am so confused. I thought I had prepared myself well by reading all the financial planning books and stuff, but apparently not.

I'm curious about this too. I have a nice nest egg from my dad's death benefits, and I currently make $30,000.00 a year at my FT job. I'm probably guessing I'll get nothing in government loans.

I'm also wondering if I should pay the majority of my tuition up front instead of getting loans for the entire amount because I'm worried about the outrageous interest accruing.

Course I don't want to give all of my nest egg because I need an emergency fund.