Find the Gas and it's volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 10.43.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 10.43.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 10.43.51 AM.png

Are we required to know how to write out chemical equations given situation like above? I was stuck on this problem because I do not know how to write out the chemical equation.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen these gas problems popped up in a lot of older AAMC materials. A clue they give you is deonized water so you know you'll only be reacting with H2O. I say prepare to know this since it's gen. chem and can fall under any of the AAMC scientific skills 1-4 we're suppose to be tested on. Also, the MCAT outline has solubility as a topic, so definitely be prepared.

@popopopop, I know we have to know deionized water is 2H2O, Ca + 2H2O --> (product).. Do we have to know how the products are produce when reactants are given? It has been so long since I took chemistry. I don't recall that in gen chem we have to write out the product when given reactants.

@popopopop, I know we have to know deionized water is 2H2O, Ca + 2H2O --> (product).. Do we have to know how the products are produce when reactants are given? It has been so long since I took chemistry. I don't recall that in gen chem we have to write out the product when given reactants.

Yes, you have to be able to balance equations if they ask for it. Expect to know basic ochem reactions too :/.

Members don't see this ad :)

100% you should know it. The 6 basic types of reactions are:

1. Precipitation Reactions (Metathesis/Double Displacement)
2. Acid-Base Reactions
3. Composition Reactions
4. Decomposition Reactions
5. Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
6. Combustion Reactions

Of course you had to write out products
in GChem, though you may not remember. What else in Chemistry other than predicting what happens when two molecules/atoms bump into one another? Please don't read this as me being snarky; it's just this is what Chemistry is. And since Chemistry is all over the MCAT and an integral part of medicine, you need to know it.

Reactions: 1 user
100% you should know it. The 6 basic types of reactions are:

1. Precipitation Reactions (Metathesis/Double Displacement)
2. Acid-Base Reactions
3. Composition Reactions
4. Decomposition Reactions
5. Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
6. Combustion Reactions

Of course you had to write out products
in GChem, though you may not remember. What else in Chemistry other than predicting what happens when two molecules/atoms bump into one another? Please don't read this as me being snarky; it's just this is what Chemistry is. And since Chemistry is all over the MCAT and an integral part of medicine, you need to know it.

Thanks for your awesome answer. Greatly appreciated.