Finding a doctor letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stefspets

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help finding a doctor letter for the D.O. schools I am applying to. I know it's getting late but things just haven't worked out the way I planned.

I had a long-term shadowing arrangement with a doc who promised me a letter, but he passed away unexpectedly. After this happened I set up another shadowing gig and when I was done, I asked the doc to write me a letter and he agreed. It's been over a month and I still have no letter, and he is not answering my emails anymore. He might come through but I feel like it's time for me to go to plan C.

My husband is a D.O. so I know some doctors, but most of them are residents and it's going to be difficult if not impossible to shadow them. One of my schools requires the doctor letter to be from someone I shadowed. I might be able to shadow and make this work but I don't know, it would be a last resort I think.

What should I do? I tried using that AOA shadowing thing but no one responded to me (I emailed a ton of doctors). I haven't cold called offices; I know some people have luck with this but some don't. Does anyone have any advice before I call every D.O. in town?

Members don't see this ad.

Go in person to see the second doc, thank him again for the shadowing opportunity and ask him if there is anything else he needs from you and when he feels he will be able to get you the LoR as you need it to finish out your applications. Apologize for seeming pushy but try to convey the time-sensitive nature of your request.

He's an ER doc and I don't know his schedule. Otherwise I would definitely drop by.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was advised that a letter from a nurse that really saw and knew your work might be more valuable. Is there someone like that for you?

I was advised that a letter from a nurse that really saw and knew your work might be more valuable. Is there someone like that for you?

For DO schools you need an LOR from a DO that you shadowed.

Since the letter specifically has to be from a doctor that I shadowed for 20 hours, no.

In other news, I emailed my lagging doc again and he responded this time saying he'd try to have it by the weekend. I just hate this part of the process--I have no control over when/if he submits this thing, and my top choice school at this point is a D.O. school. I am more confident he'll come through for me now, though.