Finding an Internship in a saturated market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a P1 going to school in Philadelphia, and I am having a difficult time finding an internship. TJH expects interns to work at least 16 hours a week during school which is something that I don't think I am comfortable doing just yet. Other than that, most of the chains are not hiring P1s at all, and some people cannot even transfer in from other markets.

I've tried applying near my home, but I have had no luck. Some chains don't hire interns in my area as there is no pharmacy school near by.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to land a job working about eight hours a week with an opportunity for more hours during the summer? Should I just wait until P2 year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a P1 going to school in Philadelphia, and I am having a difficult time finding an internship. TJH expects interns to work at least 16 hours a week during school which is something that I don't think I am comfortable doing just yet. Other than that, most of the chains are not hiring P1s at all, and some people cannot even transfer in from other markets.

I've tried applying near my home, but I have had no luck. Some chains don't hire interns in my area as there is no pharmacy school near by.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to land a job working about eight hours a week with an opportunity for more hours during the summer? Should I just wait until P2 year?

Are you only looking at retail or are you considering hospitals too? I am a P1 at Maryland in Baltimore, and I've found that some of the hospitals have many intern positions available and lots of turnover. Any advice from the P2's and P3's at your school? I would imagine they've gone through the same thing and could let you know of any availability. I interviewed with both chains and hospitals and ultimately took the hospital offer, since that sounded more interesting to me. Best of luck!

You don't know the right people. It's not what you know but who you know. Make some connections meet some people and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are definitely not trying hard enough. I have a P1, P2, P3 and I already have next year's P1 all lined up. You need to go every CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walmart, Walgreens and Independent Pharmacy in the city and suburbs and get a job. Also try hospitals. I lost a P2 to a hospital so you never know until you try. You have Abington, Einstein, Holy Redeemer, Hahneman, Jefferson, Pennsylvania, Temple & Jefferson as hospital possibilities. Go start begging....

Reactions: 1 users
What about Hospice? Think outside the box.

Maybe try a less desirable neighborhood? My friend who's a pharmacy manager was looking for interns a few years back in a bad area in West Philly. I asked lots of people and no one wanted to work there, so he ended up hiring a tech for the position, although he was eligible for an intern. So maybe that could work.
Or just work 16 hours a week at TJH. Nowadays it's hard to find something, so it's better than not working at all.

I was looking more for a retail internship so that I wouldn't have to stay in Philly and waste the money on housing. Every store that I have been to cannot hire interns due to either budget constraints or they have enough people. Some places put me on a waiting list. CVS currently has a hiring freeze throughout the city. Hospital seems more promising, I guess. It's just a very saturated market, and even the P2s and P3s tell us that it is difficult to find a job. The pretty much told us to put in applications and wait a couple of months to get a call.

I was looking more for a retail internship so that I wouldn't have to stay in Philly and waste the money on housing. Every store that I have been to cannot hire interns due to either budget constraints or they have enough people. Some places put me on a waiting list. CVS currently has a hiring freeze throughout the city. Hospital seems more promising, I guess. It's just a very saturated market, and even the P2s and P3s tell us that it is difficult to find a job. The pretty much told us to put in applications and wait a couple of months to get a call.

I am the city of Philadelphia and they DO NOT have a hiring freeze.... Keep looking

I was looking more for a retail internship so that I wouldn't have to stay in Philly and waste the money on housing.

And this is why other people get jobs and you don't. You should look for whatever you can get in this job market. There are ways to save money (for example move to a cheaper neighborhood, Philly has lots of super affordable places), and 12 month leases are usually cheaper than living on campus anyway if you don't get a super expensive place.

I like how people complain that they can't get a job, and then set forth many conditions for what jobs won't work for them.

You are definitely not trying hard enough. I have a P1, P2, P3 and I already have next year's P1 all lined up. You need to go every CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walmart, Walgreens and Independent Pharmacy in the city and suburbs and get a job. Also try hospitals. I lost a P2 to a hospital so you never know until you try. You have Abington, Einstein, Holy Redeemer, Hahneman, Jefferson, Pennsylvania, Temple & Jefferson as hospital possibilities. Go start begging....

Completely agree with this. I am also in the Philadelphia area, there are a ton of hospitals in the city and surrounding suburbs areas. Not to mention a CVS/Walgreens every few miles (again try to suburbs if you can, only ~ 1hr from most of the city schools). Have spare resumes on hand and go to the pharmacy every time you enter a supermarket. Start networking, I was able to get a student intern job at one of the hospitals because of someone I knew (which lead to a staffing position right out of school). I hate to say this, but timing is also a huge factor. Keep your ears open and do not stop looking, sometimes it is a matter of right place/right time. Right now we have no positions, but in 1 years we will be dumping about 5/6 of the interns due to graduation.

It is amazing how things have changed in a couple years. When I was in school, no one had problems at all securing intern positions...

I'll give you an easy cop out answer.

Network.

Get involved.

Join an organization.

Interpret those vague responses the way you will, but thats just the way it is. Tough market out there. Good Luck.

I'll give you an easy cop out answer.

Network.

Get involved.

Join an organization.

Interpret those vague responses the way you will, but thats just the way it is. Tough market out there. Good Luck.

Networking is a completely bull**** term. It's not going around shaking hands and making stupid small talk , although those things do happen sometimes and can help.

Networking is about developing assets. The jist of it is that you want to research and learn about anyone who is in a position to potentially help you , then you impress them with your talents or motivation or patient care or clinical or whatever you are bringing to the table . The end goal is to leave them with a strong impression that you are relatable (ie are "like" them... And friendly and a cool person) and also a high performer, which you demonstrate by doing extra work or doing something extra well, or just showing up a bit early and proving that you are a reliable person. Many times the highest impact activity will be in doing something that helps your asset look great, for example, organizing the pharmacy or pulling back dates (or in clinical, help them with a project)

Small talk and handshakes will help add a personal touch but aren't the most important thing by far... The biggest goal is that , 2,6,12 months down the line, your asset can say "hey I remember Joe, he was a really great guy / knew his **** / got stuff done impressively . Now you have a professional network ... All you have to do is maintain it which is slightly harder but easy if you have any social skills .. you just call them up or meet for coffee etc sometime and discuss fun stuff .. then when you call later for a job or a reference, they will be proud and happy to put in extra effort to help you since you did that for them.

So networking as a term is crazy .. what they should really call it is developing references. Once you have a bunch, you will never have to REALLY worry about finding a job anywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
I would see if a staffing agency can help place you somewhere. That is how I got my current job at a long term care facility.