Finding out about European medical school or post-grad work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderlustmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a rising college senior who has completed all of the (US) pre-med requirements. I am seriously considering a move to Europe (specifically, Scandinavia and Germany), but I am unsure of how it would affect my desire to go to medical school and practice.

At this point I am unsure of whether I want to go to Europe once I graduate to do research or clinical work, or if I would like to continue on to medical school there. If it's the latter, I would practice medicine in Europe so as to be close to my family. I currently have only a US citizenship, but I can easily acquire dual citizenship because both of my parents are from Poland; so applying for work permits wouldn't be a problem.

Are there any resources you recommend as a start to my search for research or clinical work abroad (including Scandi, Germany, and Poland)?

I understand that the medical school system is different in the places I'm looking (6 years straight out of our American equivalent of HS), so has anyone known of instances where you could transfer credits from US undergrad?

I apologize for the uncertainty in this post. I'm still in the very beginning stages of combining both of my interests. Living abroad would be a great change, but from prior travel experience I feel in my gut that it's the best decision for me personally.

Members don't see this ad.