Finding shadowing opportunities in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Witty Knitter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the usual response to this question is to ask my PCP, but I'd rather not shadow him (not sure he'd even let me. He reluctantly took me on as a patient only because he was my dad's doctor). His office is on Staten Island, that forgotten uncool borough with the giant orange ferry from which you can vaguely see the Statue of Liberty.

Though I live in SI, I go to school in Manhattan, and so I'd rather shadow in the city since I spend more time there. There are so many great volunteer opps in the city's major hospitals, but from what I've seen, none offer shadowing opportunities. I found one program through St. Luke's that offers clinical experience: http://slred.org/ But I'm sure that's very competitive, and so I think it would be in my best interest to consider other options, and not rely on that.

Just wondering if any one has had any luck in finding shadowing opportunities. Otherwise, I will likely just have to cold call doctors. I was also thinking about inquiring about shadowing opps by sending letters via snail mail to doctors' offices (thought it seems professional). What are your thoughts? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly just email them for the faster response. There are so many doctors in the city that you have to land a few opportunities. I volunteered at Bellevue and through that I just met a bunch of doctors and they were happy to let me shadow them. You get some great exposure at Bellevue through many different specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
St. Luke's is awesome- I live right next to the hospital. I know many students who have gone through the program and loved it. I don't know how competitive it is although I know a lot of kids from Columbia go there. There are also volunteer programs at both NYP campuses, which also allow for shadowing. Bellevue also has the summer program I heard was pretty awesome.

Lastly, I went to Montefiore to volunteer and shadow; this was through Albert Einstein College of Medicine. I was able to get some really great experiences out of it, but it's in the Bronx and quite a ways away. They also have summer programs.

SMDEP's are also great ways to get some shadowing under your belt.

I actually saw that one. They don't guarantee any shadowing opportunities, but it looks like a great volunteer opp.

Honestly just email them for the faster response. There are so many doctors in the city that you have to land a few opportunities. I volunteered at Bellevue and through that I just met a bunch of doctors and they were happy to let me shadow them. You get some great exposure at Bellevue through many different specialties.

I was hoping that I'd be able to find shadowing opps through volunteering; good to know that it worked for you! And I'll definitely look into Bellevue! Thanks :)

St. Luke's is awesome- I live right next to the hospital. I know many students who have gone through the program and loved it. I don't know how competitive it is although I know a lot of kids from Columbia go there. There are also volunteer programs at both NYP campuses, which also allow for shadowing. Bellevue also has the summer program I heard was pretty awesome.

Lastly, I went to Montefiore to volunteer and shadow; this was through Albert Einstein College of Medicine. I was able to get some really great experiences out of it, but it's in the Bronx and quite a ways away. They also have summer programs.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into your suggestions!

When I was volunteering at the hospital for joint diseases, some other volunteers moved on to doing research there and some were able shadow doctors. Also, the NYP campuses are great places to shadow, and research opportunities can become available once you meet the right people. :naughty:

best time I found is when medical school ISN'T in session..like winter break, spring break etc.. It was CRAZY hard for me to find physicians to shadow because they all claimed to be swamped with med students shadowing throughout the year.. Once you're in it might be easier to talk about spending more time in the office with the doc after the break is over..

But I also second volunteering through Einstein. The med students run a free clinic called ECHO and the admin staff is mostly pre med volunteers.. Working with ECHO is an awesome way to get in on research and shadowing. I just actually saw something about them looking for premed volunteers right now.. If you want me to forward you the info PM me..

Last edited:
When I was volunteering at the hospital for joint diseases, some other volunteers moved on to doing research there and some were able shadow doctors. Also, the NYP campuses are great places to shadow, and research opportunities can become available once you meet the right people. :naughty:

It's too damn hard to get a volunteer position in a hospital in NYC.. It's crazy the amount of crap they make you do if you're trying as a premed.. Letters of recommendation, transcripts, essays.. I mean come on.. Seriously?

Good to know! I had thought they wouldn't be good places for shadowing opps since it says on their website that they don't offer shadowing through the volunteer dept.

best time I found is when medical school ISN'T in session..like winter break, spring break etc.. It was CRAZY hard for me to find physicians to shadow because they all claimed to be swamped with med students shadowing throughout the year.. Once you're in it might be easier to talk about spending more time in the office with the doc after the break is over..

But I also second volunteering through Einstein. The med students run a free clinic called ECHO and the admin staff is mostly pre med volunteers.. Working with ECHO is an awesome way to get in on research and shadowing. I just actually saw something about them looking for premed volunteers right now.. If you want me to forward you the info PM me..
I googled it, and wow it sounds amazing! Wish it wasn't in the Bronx because I live in Staten Island :lame: But I'll make it work :D

It's too damn hard to get a volunteer position in a hospital in NYC.. It's crazy the amount of crap they make you do if you're trying as a premed.. Letters of recommendation, transcripts, essays.. I mean come on.. Seriously?

Essays too?? I did not know about that! It does seem like a bit much for volunteering..Oh well...
Anyway, great advice everyone! I really appreciate it!!!

I began to call doctors in the area I was interested in (OBGYN) from the hospital website and now I have two shadowing positions. 100 hours each.

Hey, just wanted to ask after you sent in your application for Montefiore, how long did you have to wait to get your interview call? does it usually take a long time or no?