Finding work!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osupsych05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm graduating with my B.S. in Psych in 3 weeks. I applied to graduate school this past year, got waitlisted and then didnt get in. So now Im taking some time off to do research and reapply. THe problem is, finding a research assistant job is proving to be impossible! I thought it would be a piece of cake. I work in two labs, a behavioral neuroscience lab and a clinical lab, I have a lot of experience and just completed my honors thesis. Both the professors I work for are also helping me look but so far nothing. When i read the descriptions for most of these jobs its stuff I already do so I figure it shouldnt be hard to get a job at a university somewhere, but I am having a lot of trouble. I really want to work with human subjects and really have no preference for a hospital or a university setting, so Im really flexible. Any suggestions on where to be looking?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem among recent grads in my volunteer lab. Try getting a job in a human services field; a hospital, a mental health center, a day camp... anything that you could even get some clinical experience working in!

If you have to take a job for the money then do so (probably in a human services related area or maybe market research). In terms of research, try to continue to volunteer even if it is at the same labs where you are now (work anywhere in the university but keep volunteering). Sometimes a volunteer position could lead to a job. By the way, do not tell any research position that you are planning on reapplying next year. Instead, say that you are willing to commit for at least two years.

By the way, do not tell any research position that you are planning on reapplying next year. Instead, say that you are willing to commit for at least two years.

...But don't expect any favors from them in the future if you lie!