Finger Print Clearance Card??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nociceptor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my CA-1 in June/July. However, I just got a notification from the Hospital saying I have to submit a finger print clearance card as a condition of my employment. I don't want my finger prints in a national database. I don't want to do a background check either (see below). Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

pantythief.jpg

I am a convicted panty thief.

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting my CA-1 in June/July. However, I just got a notification from the Hospital saying I have to submit a finger print clearance card as a condition of my employment. I don't want my finger prints in a national database. I don't want to do a background check either (see below). Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

pantythief.jpg

You have no choice.

Members don't see this ad :)

pantythief.jpg

Are you planning Ocean 14 or something similar?

My med school now requires a background check and UDS before starting clerkships...I believe they are considering requiring it for admission including fingerprinting...

You are pretty much stuck giving them your prints...Some states require them for licensure anyway...such as california I think...you could delay your print submission by switching hospitals, etc. but likely they will get ya at some point.

all the paranoids are out to get me...

They can't force you to do this .... but they also don't have to extend privileges to you. It's their ball and their playing field; if you want to play you have to abide by their rules.

As another person stated, good luck especially at a VA if you don't want to give your prints. Even though I have active privileges at the President's hospital and jumped through all sorts of security hoops for that, I STILL had to re-print for the VA when I came up for re-credentialing at the VA Spa elsewhere.

As far as some states go, it's now law for licensure (part of child safety / anti-predator legislation).

I feel the same way about this as random drug testing......

If you have nothing to hide, then why fret over it????

If you have something to hide, then i'm glad you don't get to be a doctor somewhere.

You are pretty much stuck giving them your prints...Some states require them for licensure anyway...such as california I think...you could delay your print submission by switching hospitals, etc. but likely they will get ya at some point.

all the paranoids are out to get me...

Most states require prints to get your license.
The DEA requires you to give your prints to get a DEA license to dispense meds.
So unless you don't plan to practice medicine in this country you are going to have to get fingerprinted sometime.

If you don't feel like giving out your print you might want to talk to the ACLU, they might be able to file a lawsuit for you, to stop this excessive unwarranted governmental intrusion.

Or burn them off like Men in Black......

Most states require prints to get your license.
The DEA requires you to give your prints to get a DEA license to dispense meds.

Unless I have forgotten, I have never given prints to anyone, and I have had a DEA number for 20+ years.

Quote from the DEA website:

Question – What does a practitioner/physician need to obtain before they can complete an application for DEA registration?
Answer – Issuance of a DEA registration to prescribe controlled substances is predicated on successfully completing all of the requirements imposed by the state in which the practitioner will conduct business and obtaining a state license. If the practitioner fails to obtain the required state license or has the license revoked or rescinded, then the DEA cannot issue the requested registration. If an existing DEA registrant looses their state privileges, then the DEA must also rescind or revoke their federal authority to prescribe controlled substances.

No mention of fingerprints.

I guess some states and hospitals might require it, but not in my experience.

If you have nothing to hide, then why fret over it????

A balance must be struck between protecting the public and upholding the 4th Amendment rights we're all entitled to.

In the case of physicians, I happen to agree that fingerprinting and drug testing are reasonable. We're in a position of power over a vulnerable population, and we're held to a higher standard than most others. The public trusts that when they go to a "licensed" physician, the licensing authority has taken reasonable steps to ensure that their physician isn't a criminal or addict. In return for that stamp of approval and the right to legally practice medicine, we surrender some of our rights.

But there's no escaping the fact that we're being searched. So please don't just flippantly dismiss someone's discomfort with it.

But there's no escaping the fact that we're being searched. So please don't just flippantly dismiss someone's discomfort with it.

I am a little older than most so I remember when America use to be against things like this. We use to say, at least we aren't like the Communists, our society is built on trust not security.
I realize that times have changed etc. but I still miss calmer days. Plus now they can tie me to all the panty thefts :idea:.
PAPERS PLEASE!!

56625588.jpg