Finish MS in EPI or Finish Post-Bacc for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDLH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a first year Master's of Epidemiology student in a respected program. I intended to pursue a PHD then go into research, work in the private or public sector. That is no longer the case, I now plan finish a post-bacc after I earn my masters and apply to med school. Now I'm wondering, if it is even worth finishing my masters program. Is it a waste of time and money, when I should be focusing on post-bacc courses and the MCAT? Would a MS in epidemiology and the research experience that goes a long with it improve my chances of being accepted to med school?

Will you be completing postbaccalaureate coursework to improve your undergraduate record or do you need to complete the premed requirements?

If you need to improve your undergraduate GPA, then focusing on completing postbaccalaureate coursework would be the best way to go. Any graduate level coursework that you complete will not factor into your cumulative undergraduate GPA on the AMCAS application.

However, if you have a competitive undergraduate GPA and you have already completed the premed requirements (they have changed for many schools--not nearly as many as there used to be), completing your Master's Degree--with a high GPA--would help you be a more competitive applicant to medical school. How much time do you have remaining for the Master's Degree?

Hope this is helpful!

Thank you for your response.

I would be completing the post baccalaureate coursework to meet premed requirements, which should take at most two semesters. I have three semesters left to earn a masters, which would be completed in the spring of 2016. My undergrad GPA is strong, summa cum laude, but that does not include a few years of "finding myself" with a horrendous GPA. The "finding myself" period was ten years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year Master's of Epidemiology student in a respected program. I intended to pursue a PHD then go into research, work in the private or public sector. That is no longer the case, I now plan finish a post-bacc after I earn my masters and apply to med school. Now I'm wondering, if it is even worth finishing my masters program. Is it a waste of time and money, when I should be focusing on post-bacc courses and the MCAT? Would a MS in epidemiology and the research experience that goes a long with it improve my chances of being accepted to med school?

If you can afford to do both, do both. A master's in epi wouldn't go to waste especially when it comes to applying for residencies down the road or if you ever decide to work in public health as a physician. In the long run, it's a good degree to have.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response.

I would be completing the post baccalaureate coursework to meet premed requirements, which should take at most two semesters. I have three semesters left to earn a masters, which would be completed in the spring of 2016. My undergrad GPA is strong, summa cum laude, but that does not include a few years of "finding myself" with a horrendous GPA. The "finding myself" period was ten years ago.

FYI the GPA that medical schools will see will average this 'horrendous' GPA in to your total GPA.

I would complete the program you're in. Getting into medical school is not guaranteed, and if you aren't able to get in, you will probably be in a worse position without a masters degree than with one. If you've just suddenly decided to pursue medical school, you probably need time to gain clinical experience (and various other ECs) which you can do while you are in your masters program, before completing a post bacc.

Isn't post-bac year basically a test M1 year? I imagine doing a post bac and working on an epi degree at the same time would be very difficult, especially with thesis requirements and whatnot during the 2nd year of your epi training. When you do your post-bac, you should make it your #1 focus to make sure you rock all your courses. I vote for finishing the master's degree though, even if it means delaying medical school entrance by a year. I believe in having an explanation for every gap year you take, and quitting now makes you, well, look like a quitter. Make the most of your time already spent in the program by finishing and getting your feet wet in clinical research. It'll be something unique to talk about during your interviews and as mentioned already, may very well be a useful degree to have in the long run.