Finished with MD apps. Should I apply to a single DO school or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 27 MD schools this cycle with a lot of matches and "safeties". After doing a lot of research on all of the DO schools, I decided that PCOM would be the only DO school that was a good fit for me based on location, quality of rotations and culture.

The thing is if I apply to PCOM and don't get in there either, I risk becoming both an MD and a DO reapplicant.

Should I wait out this cycle without applying to any DO schools and apply more broadly to DO next cycle if unsuccessful?

Or do I have a high enough chance of getting into PCOM to add that as a fallback incase I don't get any MD acceptances?

My LizzyM is around 72 with a low GPA (Average of cGPA and sGPA is 3.5)
I have tons of clinical experience, some research experience and meaningful, longterm volunteer experience.

@Goro might have the best estimate of my chances :s

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't suggest applying DO based on your given info.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to 27 MD schools this cycle with a lot of matches and "safeties". After doing a lot of research on all of the DO schools, I decided that PCOM would be the only DO school that was a good fit for me based on location, quality of rotations and culture.

The thing is if I apply to PCOM and don't get in there either, I risk becoming both an MD and a DO reapplicant.

Should I wait out this cycle without applying to any DO schools and apply more broadly to DO next cycle if unsuccessful?

Or do I have a high enough chance of getting into PCOM to add that as a fallback incase I don't get any MD acceptances?

I have tons of clinical experience, some research experience and meaningful, longterm volunteer experience.

I think your fine with just applying MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Do you have any interviews yet

2. Do you have any reservations about going to PCOM

3. Statistically, based on Table 24/25, what percentage of applicants with your stats get into MD schools (conservative estimate)

4. Would you rather reapply one more round to MD schools or go to PCOM

1. Do you have any interviews yet

2. Do you have any reservations about going to PCOM

3. Statistically, based on Table 24/25, what percentage of applicants with your stats get into MD schools (conservative estimate)

4. Would you rather reapply one more round to MD schools or go to PCOM

1. 1 interview. I applied lateish (complete with most late aug, complete with the rest mid sept)

2. No reservations at all. I do have some reservations about other DO schools, but would attend and not be completely happy.

3. 64%

4. I would rather go to PCOM than wait another year. But I'd rather wait another year for another shot at MD than go to any other DO school.

1. 1 interview. I applied lateish (complete with most late aug, complete with the rest mid sept)

2. No reservations at all. I do have some reservations about other DO schools, but would attend and not be completely happy.

3. 64%

4. I would rather go to PCOM than wait another year. But I'd rather wait another year for another shot at MD than go to any other DO school.

I would go ahead and apply if you're worried, because there's little downside, but chances are you won't need to.

I would go ahead and apply if you're worried, because there's little downside, but chances are you won't need to.

The downside is being a reapplicant for DO also!

The downside is being a reapplicant for DO also!

That probably won't be a huge downside, as if you're reapplying, you'll probably make changes to your app, and I don't think you'll be considered a reapplicant at schools you didn't apply to beforehand (i.e. every school except PCOM) - at least, this is how it seems to work for MD schools.

That probably won't be a huge downside, as if you're reapplying, you'll probably make changes to your app, and I don't think you'll be considered a reapplicant at schools you didn't apply to beforehand (i.e. every school except PCOM) - at least, this is how it seems to work for MD schools.

Oh true. I am not even thinking.

I don't think it will be necessary unless you simply have to go to the City of Brotherly Love.

@Goro might have the best estimate of my chances :s

If PCOM is at the very bottom of your list...as in you would take any one of the 27 MD schools over it, then there is no reason to apply to it. Not that I think being a "DO reapplicant," as you are so worried about becoming, will be an issue. It just seems unnecessary to apply to another backup given what you've said about yourself here.

I don't think it will be necessary unless you simply have to go to the City of Brotherly Love.

I will take your advice and hold off from applying to PCOM then. Hopefully one school gives me a chance!

DO is also less time sensitive, you can submit it later like in december if your md apps really do end up looking like they might go belly up.

Reactions: 3 users
DO is also less time sensitive, you can submit it later like in december if your md apps really do end up looking like they might go belly up.
So December is not too late for PCOM?

So December is not too late for PCOM?
From what I heard, december is fine for competitive do schools like touro CAand western CA. I don't see why it wouldnt be good enough for pcom