Fire Department Medical Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctahB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, FM PGY2 here with a few questions.

Since unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere within an hour radius to do moonlighting, I decided to join a Volunteer Fire Department as my new hobby because why not? With that, they are asking me to be their medical director. I understand I'll have to get my residency to back me up in my position. So, with that:

1) What does a fire department medical director usually entail? I did EMS as an EMT-B for a few years, so I'm somewhat familiar with EMS medical directors but not fire department medical directors. There are a few EMT-Bs on the squad (as they work other jobs); but, we're a non-transporting agency.

2) What are the laws (specifically in Ohio) regarding a physician practicing in the field? What would be my limitations for both what I could do, what on-line orders I can give, and what I would need to clear by my residency, etc before having the ability to do X, Y, Z? Anything in particular I need to do to work as a physician in the field? First Responder training and use my already existing BLS/ACLS/PALS? Obtain ATLS?

3) Anything else I should know or ask before getting myself further into this?

Thanks for the help on this - figured I'd post this here since I come from the FM fam.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk any of the answers to your questions, but I was an EMT and did fire training and almost had a career in fire before med school.

you’re badass bro. It’s gonna be a lot of fun. Very taxing work and not a lot of sleep depending on your station, but the bond you’re gonna make with your brothers (and sisters) is gonna be amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
Check malpractice insurance. Mine specifically does not cover being a medical director. (One of the home health agencies asked me to be one and when I investigated it would have been cost prohibitive).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do I still need the malpractice insurance if my residency program overall will be acting as the medical director...? I guess likely a good question for my program rather than here.

And thanks himomitsme!

This sounds like a horrible idea for a resident to undertake.

Medical directors of what ever facility typically need additional liability insurance above and beyond what the routine is. Your residency program will not cover your clinical work in this area. At best the say yes to you doing but they won't cover your liablity or field your questions.

More likely what this fire department wants and needs is a working relationship with Occupational Medicine. They have a non-doctor/patient relationship with the employees. Doing their drugs screans, doing fitness for duty evaluations to return to work, and reviewing policies for health exposures, etc. This is a legit duty with notable responsibilities that post residency you'll probably be better able to hammer out a contract for duties entail and when/how you are reached.

Don't do this.

You are now a physician. You will be held to the standard of a physician. Any EMT like work you do, will be considered establishing a doctor patient relationship. Do not do any volunteer EMT work. By becoming a physician you basically just opted yourself out of these types of jobs.

Don't do this.

Focus your attention on opening your own practice. Even if in another city/state. Get the med license and liability insruance and open up a bare bones telemedicine practice and start the process of creating your own moonlight practice and future practice post residency. You will be plenty busy creating the policies, getting the insurance contracts and forming the work flow just doing this.

You are now a physician. You will be held to the standard of a physician. Any EMT like work you do, will be considered establishing a doctor patient relationship. Do not do any volunteer EMT work. By becoming a physician you basically just opted yourself out of these types of jobs.

Don't do this.

Yep. I used to be a volunteer EMT, but quit after I finished med school.

Hey there, sports fans. Figured I'd update that I've accepted the position of medical director with the guidance of one of my faculty members over me - essentially an extension of my residency program. Should hopefully overcome a few snafoos.