Fired after scribe training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moemoekyun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I was recently fired from a ER scribe company because, for lack of better words, I sucked at it (speed, getting everything down, etc) and we all agreed this wasn't a good fit for me (I'm not bitter, I'm actually relieved). I was pretty much employed for 2 months, but spent 2 weeks (40 hrs) actually scribing, so I feel like leaving this off everything (resume, application) to not raise eyebrows but I'm worried that when it comes to apply for medical school, my clinical (only volunteering at ED front desk, if that counts) and shadowing hours (only from scribing). So what should I do? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Leave it off.

Try to get some more clinical experience before the application cycle. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thinking. I'm waiting to hear back on a shadowing experience so I got that going for. I should mention I have held previous jobs while in college, and while they weren't clinical and I wasn't employee of the month, I wasn't fired before, also volunteering for my city's waste management and doing odd jobs. Any advice for clinical experiences? I have no licenses or certifications for medical stuff (except for a phlebotomy certificate, but from my understanding, I'm not certified until I have hours, but can't get hours because I'm not certified). Only hospital volunteering I can do is make beds, not too clinical.

I have no licenses or certifications for medical stuff (except for a phlebotomy certificate, but from my understanding, I'm not certified until I have hours, but can't get hours because I'm not certified).

Classic Catch-22. Keep on looking, there are ways to break into the field. It is never easy.

Only hospital volunteering I can do is make beds, not too clinical.

Do it. We all had to.

Hint: Make the nurses and techs happy and see where that will take you. Hint Hint: Food.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, so I was recently fired from a ER scribe company because, for lack of better words, I sucked at it (speed, getting everything down, etc) and we all agreed this wasn't a good fit for me (I'm not bitter, I'm actually relieved). I was pretty much employed for 2 months, but spent 2 weeks (40 hrs) actually scribing, so I feel like leaving this off everything (resume, application) to not raise eyebrows but I'm worried that when it comes to apply for medical school, my clinical (only volunteering at ED front desk, if that counts) and shadowing hours (only from scribing). So what should I do? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Classic Catch-22. Keep on looking, there are ways to break into the field. It is never easy.

Do it. We all had to.

Hint: Make the nurses and techs happy and see where that will take you. Hint Hint: Food.

I know it's not easy, but there's something about the hospital near me hiring dropouts and drug addicts (not saying anything about the workers, I just know a couple and if they do a good job, fine), making me wonder where I went wrong (I know, I went to college). I am planning to do it, but not having a real job is not what I want.
I already volunteered for another hospital's ED front desk and got free food which was awesome, but now it's like starting over at a new one (and I don't think there's free food). The one near me actually gave me a healthcare scholarship, but that seems to be as far as they'll go.

I was in a similar situation. Only I voluntarily left because the hospital was 45 minutes away and it was taking a toll on my bank and car after 2 months of training. You could possibly list that 40 hours as shadowing. It's kind of a grey area. I thought about doing it but I'm still inbetween. I don't know if it's considered the right thing to do though..

Same here, mine was an hour, but I was able to stay with friends who were close. I can't tell you what to do, but I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong, just are you a flake or not (as soon as it gets inconvenient, you don't do it, others would be glad to have your problem, etc). I think everyone else has the right idea, no point bringing it up for bunch of reasons.

I know it's not easy, but there's something about the hospital near me hiring dropouts and drug addicts (not saying anything about the workers, I just know a couple and if they do a good job, fine), making me wonder where I went wrong (I know, I went to college).

Oh no, you're totally taking this the wrong way. Do you know why these dropouts and (umm...) drug addicts are so attractive to hospitals? Because they are looking to do this work as a career, not as a stepping stone to something greater. These people usually don't have aspirations of going to medical school, or even something easier. As pre-meds, we seem to forget that there are people who want to do these entry-level medical jobs as careers. Have you watched daytime television lately? You'll see all of these ads for medical assistant programs, and these people are very proud to do it as a career. I know someone who runs a medical office, and he hires either dropouts, or community college graduates. He runs a business, and needs to keep worker turnover to a minimum. Entry-level jobs weren't created so that nursing, pre-PA, and pre-meds can get experience.

So don't take it personally! As everyone else has said, leave it off, and move on with your life. Remember, your goal in life is to become a physician, not a scrub. This is perhaps a blessing in disguise as well... Scribing takes up a LOT of your time. You'll get way more out of volunteering with less of a commitment in terms of your medical school application. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Suggest leaving it out.

Oh no, you're totally taking this the wrong way. Do you know why these dropouts and (umm...) drug addicts are so attractive to hospitals? Because they are looking to do this work as a career, not as a stepping stone to something greater. These people usually don't have aspirations of going to medical school, or even something easier. As pre-meds, we seem to forget that there are people who want to do these entry-level medical jobs as careers. Have you watched daytime television lately? You'll see all of these ads for medical assistant programs, and these people are very proud to do it as a career. I know someone who runs a medical office, and he hires either dropouts, or community college graduates. He runs a business, and needs to keep worker turnover to a minimum. Entry-level jobs weren't created so that nursing, pre-PA, and pre-meds can get experience.

So don't take it personally! As everyone else has said, leave it off, and move on with your life. Remember, your goal in life is to become a physician, not a scrub. This is perhaps a blessing in disguise as well... Scribing takes up a LOT of your time. You'll get way more out of volunteering with less of a commitment in terms of your medical school application. Good luck!

I agree with everything except this. With that said, there are applicants who are not suited for scribing that are suited for medical school. OP could be one of those applicants!

Reactions: 1 user

On some level, I was aware of that. I was just being cynical. I'm not assuming anything because I know some of these people as friends and their...habits (city has a bad drug problem, a meth house near the hospital was demolished recently). Again, good for them, they work hard and do a good job. I'm feeling it from both sides here, as the managers and other people at the hospital organization gave me the "it's who you know" before I started college, and after college "you're too smart to be here". Again, I already know about my situation, getting back on my feet and doing stuff, but felt like ranting. I am looking into other opportunities and I should be shadowing the trauma unit next week, so it's a start.
And no, I don't watch TV.

I agree with everything except this. With that said, there are applicants who are not suited for scribing that are suited for medical school. OP could be one of those applicants!
That's what I'm telling myself!

So true, I was so confused why I didn't land the Target job I interviewed for a few years back. Stupid ambition.

Just a word of encouragement, don't feel bad about it. I had a similar experience where I failed at an allied health type job. I think there are often very different skills involved in these types of jobs that aren't necessarily as important in an MD/DO profession. Which is why usually very different people have these jobs.

I'd leave it off if I were you. Best of luck, you'll find something you're good at :)

Unless you can talk about it in an interview leave it off. Better to not have anything asked about it if all you can say is I worked two shifts and was fired but still put it on my app.

I have to strongly disagree with your point that you will get more out of volunteering than scribing. I've been working in the ER for four months now and have learned more there than I have at all in undergrad or from any of my time volunteering. Scribing teaches you how to write an H&P, a skill that you will definitely need in medical school and teaches you medical terminology and what sort of PE findings you should be looking for when a patient presents with a specific complaint. Volunteering is great and I'm not knocking it at all, but the info you gain from being a scribe is invaluable.

I have to strongly disagree with your point that you will get more out of volunteering than scribing. I've been working in the ER for four months now and have learned more there than I have at all in undergrad or from any of my time volunteering. Scribing teaches you how to write an H&P, a skill that you will definitely need in medical school and teaches you medical terminology and what sort of PE findings you should be looking for when a patient presents with a specific complaint. Volunteering is great and I'm not knocking it at all, but the info you gain from being a scribe is invaluable.
@Planes2Doc generally seems to place more emphasis on the "with a lot less effort" part of his statement than the "get a lot more out of it" portion. More of a "the extra benefit from scribing is not worth the extra time" thing, and perhaps he's right. It's something we tend to respectfully disagree on - I find myself more aligned with your own views on the matter.

Reactions: 1 users