First attending job: contracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

This may be a stupid question, but:

I've talked to multiple groups and looked into others. Have a sample contract from one with which I may sign. Was going to have a lawyer read this over.

Not in the contract: any mention of how malpractice is handled, sign on bonus, how their pay system is set up, a few other odds and ends.

Did you guys have a contract drafted which includes all this or have something which speaks to all this, and then send that to your lawyer, or is there something I'm just missing from having not been in this position before?

Related: have a 90 day without cause termination clause in the contract. This is a small democratic group. Any use in trying to negotiate different language?

Members don't see this ad.

Have to run, but the specific details are sometimes handled in an addendum referenced in the contract. This means that the contract itself does not have to be rewritten every time it is used for another person with different salary, etc. The key of course is to see what is written on the addendum.

You can try to negotiate. The worse they can do is say no and pull the offer. However, the key point in negotiation is that you have to be willing to give up something as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an equivalent 90 days from your end? Ask for an equal 60/60. That is equitable.

Equivalent on my end.

Have to run, but the specific details are sometimes handled in an addendum referenced in the contract. This means that the contract itself does not have to be rewritten every time it is used for another person with different salary, etc. The key of course is to see what is written on the addendum.

You can try to negotiate. The worse they can do is say no and pull the offer. However, the key point in negotiation is that you have to be willing to give up something as well.

There's mention of scheduling policies and another addenda or two that may be some of that. Nothing which would mention anything personal, like sign-ons with repayment clauses. Did attempt to negotiate -- or actually, just asked for something in the sign-on package. Waiting to hear back on this, if there's a counter offer, or if they request anything else of me.

There's no malpractice clause? Nothing? That's a huge red flag. A good physician contract attorney, or one well versed in negotiating them, is worth their weight in gold.

I know what their coverage is and have already done paperwork for the policy, but I didn't see it mentioned in the contract, which seemed odd. Tail coverage, solid limits as far as I'm told.

Not in the contract: any mention of how malpractice is handled, sign on bonus, how their pay system is set up, a few other odds and ends.

Huge red flag. All this needs to be in writing. As far as the malpractice, every last detail needs to be in writing including minimum coverage limits, whether this is self insured or commercially insured, and who pays for tail if this is a claims made policy.

Did you guys have a contract drafted which includes all this or have something which speaks to all this, and then send that to your lawyer, or is there something I'm just missing from having not been in this position before?

Every contract I've considered has all this written down. If it doesn't, I email back language I want changed. If they won't change it, I walk.

Related: have a 90 day without cause termination clause in the contract. This is a small democratic group. Any use in trying to negotiate different language?

My preference is a 30 day contract termination clause that cuts both ways - they can get rid of you, you can quit. Things can change in a hurry. You don't want to get stuck working for three months in a place that went to hell in a handbasket.

My preference is a 30 day contract termination clause that cuts both ways - they can get rid of you, you can quit. Things can change in a hurry. You don't want to get stuck working for three months in a place that went to hell in a handbasket.

I don't believe there is a universally correct answer for the amount of notice required in an EM physician employment contract.

Take the case of a new residency grad who has to move to a new city: The spouse has had to quit their job and very likely does not have a new one lined up right away. Even if you are smart and rent, you almost certainly have at least a one year commitment on the lease. Then you have the moving expenses. Even if you do most of it by yourself with the help of friends/family the cost is still not trivial. Also, keep in mind it can also be much tougher for a new residency grad to get a job "off cycle." With all of that, is it in your best interest to take a job that only guarantees one month's salary? Probably not. In this case, it is probably best to try and get the maximum notice your employer has to provide. (In other words, guarantee the most income possible.) At the very least, that will also probably raise the amount of notice that you have to provide. However, in this point of your career, as long as your paychecks aren't bouncing, moving after a month or two is rarely in your best interest.

On the other hand, after you have worked a number of years and have built up a decent amount of savings, and most importantly, have the reputation and references to get a decent job somewhere else with little trouble, then it is probably smart to have a very small notice period so you don't have to put up with stupidity for long.

But some of the best contract details for an EM physician in year 20 might not be the best for someone in year 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, who pays malpractice (especially the tail) should be in the contract. If there is no sign-on bonus in the contract, there is no sign-on bonus. Same with pay. No pay in the contract, there is no pay.

I have a long-term advertiser who reviews these things for a fair price. I'd use him if I were switching jobs. Probably can't mention a name here as it would be commercial solicitation, but I'm sure it won't take you long to find it.

Yes, who pays malpractice (especially the tail) should be in the contract. If there is no sign-on bonus in the contract, there is no sign-on bonus. Same with pay. No pay in the contract, there is no pay.

I have a long-term advertiser who reviews these things for a fair price. I'd use him if I were switching jobs. Probably can't mention a name here as it would be commercial solicitation, but I'm sure it won't take you long to find it.
Agree. It's got to be in there. If it's not, it will not happen. Verbal promises are dog crap and are about as enforceable as a pile of dog crap. Written wording in a contract however, means you might have a shot at it actually happening, if you're willing to fight for it. Still might not happen without a fight or enforcement. But all that verbal BS tossed around in the Mercedes during the director's tour and all the verbal BS back and forth over the $100 steak and your favorite unaffordable wine is...you guessed it. Dog crap.