First flight to Interview .. tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eric552

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I will be taking my first flight on the 29th of this month for an interview. As someone who has never flown before and is unaware of all the possibilities that could go wrong, I am looking for any tips! Especially along the lines of how you travel with a suit to keep it from getting wrinkled/lost?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I will be taking my first flight on the 29th of this month for an interview. As someone who has never flown before and is unaware of all the possibilities that could go wrong, I am looking for any tips! Especially along the lines of how you travel with a suit to keep it from getting wrinkled/lost?

Thanks for any input!

buy a suit cover and make sure sure you carry it on with you (just store it in the carry on overhead bins ABOVE other people's luggage. bring flight info, car rental info, school info, stuff to brush up on for the interview during the plane ride,

Carry on the suit in a bag or what have you, don't wear it, obviously.
Put your carry-on liquids in 3.5ml bottles inside a ziploc bag. Don't worry if they're in your checked luggage.
Relax and don't get drunk on the flight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrive at the airport early to get through check-in and security, and make sure you have proper forms of ID!

I've flown with suits for the last few years. I agree to get a garment bag that folds your suit. A lot of larger "checkable" luggage seems to come with one that zips up. I then load my suit into the bag and place it on the top of everything else I'm bringing and check the whole thing. I haven't had any problems with my suit coming out looking wrinkled.

If this is your first flight, don't study on the plane. I say take the time to enjoy the experience. Look out the window as you take off and land. Flying can be a cool thing. I grew up in a family with pilots, have flown countless times and I still find myself enjoying it.

Also, put things like razors/shavers, tweezers, nail clippers, etc in your checked baggage. Don't pay for the expensive airport food. If it's a long flight, try to sleep.

I guess this isn't common knowledge? Many, many airplanes have a "suit" closet for you to hang your suit up. Just ask the flight attendant right when you get on the plane if they have a closet for suits. They will show you where and you can hang up your suit there so it stays nice and unwrinkled. It's usually in the first class section but they let anyone hang up their stuff there.

Also:

funny-style-points-artistic-impression-slide-jump.png
funny-nerds-not-allowed-geek-annoying-club-convention-meeting.png
funny-throw-hands-air-wave-like-you-dont-care.png

More pics can be seen here: http://www.airtoons.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys! This is all very helpful info and I am jotting it down! I really appreciate all the kindness! :)

bring headphones, too... your flight might have free tv :)

Most planes have a closet near the front that you can hang you suit in. Just don't forget it when you get off the plane. Make sure you have plenty of time to make your connections, with fall comes bad weather and delayed flights, be sure to keep that in mind. Don't stress yourself out on the flight, a lot of peoplle I talked to at my interviews said they spent their flights reading through their personal statement over and over again, you shouldn't need to do that, you wrote. Just take that time before to relax a bit, they already like you, you don't need to blow them away, just be yourself and don't tell them you hate so and so demographic

If you suit is wool (most are) and it does get wrinkled. Hang it in the hotel bathroom and run the hottest water through the shower when you arrive.

Wool suits will unwrinkle with a few minutes in a steamy room.

This has probably been mentioned above, but I'll restate it:

I am also not a regular flier (flyer?)... and when I did travel, it was always with my parents so they would take care of the tickets, etc. I wanted my flight experience to be as simple as possible when interviewing. So I, like you, wanted to get all the TSA regulations and stuff down beforehand. Here's my process:

The night before:

• Pack all your toiletries (razor, very small bottle of shaving cream if needed, tooth brush, small travel-size toothpaste, etc.) in a small, clear ziplock bag. Don't take care than you need. Remember, the hotel will have things like lotion, mouthwash, shampoo, etc. All your stuff should all fit in a ziplock bag.
  • Fold all your clothes and put it in your suitcase (including your suit, tie, etc). Put your dress shoes in a plastic bag (like a grocery store bag) and put this in with your clothes.
  • Put your ziplock bag in the suitcase on the TOP (either with the clothes on the top, or in a separate suitcase compartment for easy access.
  • Pack all your electronics (headphones, laptop, etc.)
  • Print out your plane ticket AND hotel reservation and put it in your suitcase!!

At the airport:

• BEFORE walking in... make sure you take your drivers license (or other form of ID) out of your wallet and put it in your pocket, along with your plane ticket. This is because before you can enter the security checkpoint, a TSA officer will check the name on your plane ticket to the name/face on your ID.
  • Going through security becomes easy now, because all you have to do is take out your ziplock bag with your toiletries, your bag of dress shoes, and your laptop (if you have it) from your suitcase. Then just take off the shoes you're wearing, belt, and clear your pockets.
  • Once you pass through security, find the general area of where your gate is. Then do whatever you want. :)

The most important thing about this is not scurrying through all your stuff at the last minute. If you prepare ahead (like above), then your airport experience is fast and easy. This is why having everything in bags and easily accessible makes things so stress free when passing through security!

Also, plan on arriving early to the airport. You just never know what may happen or how long it'll take to get to the gate. ;)

Long post... but from one fellow infrequent flyer to another non-flyer, that's how I did it. :thumbup:

Oh, and just enjoy the flight experience. The first 3 minutes and the last 30 seconds are the best parts. :laugh:

I guess this isn't common knowledge? Many, many airplanes have a "suit" closet for you to hang your suit up. Just ask the flight attendant right when you get on the plane if they have a closet for suits. They will show you where and you can hang up your suit there so it stays nice and unwrinkled. It's usually in the first class section but they let anyone hang up their stuff there.

Also:

funny-style-points-artistic-impression-slide-jump.png
funny-nerds-not-allowed-geek-annoying-club-convention-meeting.png
funny-throw-hands-air-wave-like-you-dont-care.png

More pics can be seen here: http://www.airtoons.com/

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Arrive around an hour and a half in advance. Remember that if you have a laptop you need to take it out during the check, have your passport in a good area. Don't leave bags unattended. Have a few good tracks on your Ipod. Mission complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and remember: flying is safer than driving. Statistically.

Southwest, JetBlue, and Virgin have become my top choice airlines.

BTW, try and carry on luggage first. If there ends up being no overhead bin space, you get to have your luggage checked in for free ;)

Southwest, JetBlue, and Virgin have become my top choice airlines.

BTW, try and carry on luggage first. If there ends up being no overhead bin space, you get to have your luggage checked in for free ;)

United Airlines (Continental) for me.

My mom is a flight attendant, well a retired flight attendant. I am actually going to her retirement party tomorrow. She worked for 42 years and is still fine. I have traveled a lot and whenever I am nervous, I think of how many flights my mom has been on and that calms me down.

Flying is great and you will love it. Absolutely put your suit in a garmet bag and ask the flight attendants when you enter the plane to hang it for you. If for some reason the area is full, tell them you are heading to a medical school interview and they would probably put it in the galley for you. Most flight attendants are really nice. Enjoy your flight and interview!

My mom is a flight attendant, well a retired flight attendant. I am actually going to her retirement party tomorrow. She worked for 42 years and is still fine. I have traveled a lot and whenever I am nervous, I think of how many flights my mom has been on and that calms me down.

Flying is great and you will love it. Absolutely put your suit in a garmet bag and ask the flight attendants when you enter the plane to hang it for you. If for some reason the area is full, tell them you are heading to a medical school interview and they would probably put it in the galley for you. Most flight attendants are really nice. Enjoy your flight and interview!

By the way, the galley, for those that don't know, is the place where flight attendants prepare food and beverages and hang out during down times. If they don't have space for garmet bags, they may put it in their galley...not guaranteed though.

Remember to buy and bring hard candy to suck on the accent and decent.. it helps pressurize your ears, if this doesn't work, block your nose and mouth and try to blow out your breath... there's nothing worse than unpoped ears :cool:

Remember to buy and bring hard candy to suck on the accent and decent.. it helps pressurize your ears, if this doesn't work, block your nose and mouth and try to blow out your breath... there's nothing worse than unpoped ears :cool:

You have more to be worried about the children in the cabin who start screaming and crying upon descent.

Bring an empty water bottle like a nalgene or something and then fill it up at a water fountain after going through security. That way if you get thirsty you won't have to buy expensive bottled water.