First iPads...now this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
i am super skeptical as to how this actually adds value to a curriculum at this product stage

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds neat. In its infancy so it's rather redundant/pointless, but neat.

Do the words "working out the kinks" mean anything to you?

Generally I keep bedroom talk to the bedroom.

Reactions: 6 users
Do the words "working out the kinks" mean anything to you?
I have no doubt google glass will be amazing when it is commercially available, but it's still a beta platform. At this stage, it's a great product to toy around and tinker with, but not really ready to be applied where it has to be depended upon, like in a curriculum setting.

U of A already doing it, and I believe Brigham's or somewhere is testing them in their ER

Okay Glass, cure this patient.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay Glass, cure this patient.

Well, that'd be awkward:

"Salt? Glass... what are you doing?

Glass...?!

GLASS! NO!! BAD GLASS!! STOP. I MEANT HEAL THE PATIENT, NOT CURE THEM"

Curing-salmon.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
The most promising part is having patients wear Glass so that our students can view themselves through the patients’ eyes, experience patient care from the patients’ perspective, and learn from that information to become more empathic and engaging physicians

Lol I don't even. Someone explain how Glass can make you empathetic

Reactions: 1 user
what happens if students wear prescription glasses...? Are they gonna customize it for every student...?

Lol I don't even. Someone explain how Glass can make you empathetic

Though it doesn't make sense initially. I think what they're getting at is, being able to see how you, as a med student takes care of the patient. Apparently, having the patient wear the glass, you can see how good or bad your bed side manner is, whether you're making enough eye contact, and pretty much if you have any mannerisms that may come off as negative or curt. It's like an athlete watching game tape of the game before and working on their technique/ game plan. How this correlates to empathy isn't very clear, but I think that they think that watching your mistakes after the fact will make you more empathetic, which isn't a very logical correlation in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
what happens if students wear prescription glasses...? Are they gonna customize it for every student...?
That's a good question. It seems expensive to custom lens every pair of glass for a class just to beta test it. Also, there are a couple people in my class with either prism lenses or bifocals..I wonder how they would deal with that.

I have no doubt google glass will be amazing when it is commercially available, but it's still a beta platform. At this stage, it's a great product to toy around and tinker with, but not really ready to be applied where it has to be depended upon, like in a curriculum setting.

It's not replacing any part of the curriculum, it's an adjunct.

It's true that the best way to use this in a medical school curriculum hasn't been worked out yet. Some people are interested in technology in medical education, and want to be among those figuring it out. Now you have that option at UCI.

i am super skeptical as to how this actually adds value to a curriculum at this product stage

Me too. I was discussing this with one of the radiology faculty where I work (back when U of A released a video about how they were using Glass). His view was that innovations and improvements begin when you identify a problem and then work on creating an optimal solution (whether that be device, software, whatever). I agree. What makes me skeptical about their approach is that UCI is taking an opposite approach. They are starting with a technology and looking for things it can do. This ends up with people creating 'solutions' to 'problems' that weren't really problems to begin with.

I disagree that it is, as you put, 'depended upon' in this setting.

Though it doesn't make sense initially. I think what they're getting at is, being able to see how you, as a med student takes care of the patient. Apparently, having the patient wear the glass, you can see how good or bad your bed side manner is, whether you're making enough eye contact, and pretty much if you have any mannerisms that may come off as negative or curt. It's like an athlete watching game tape of the game before and working on their technique/ game plan. How this correlates to empathy isn't very clear, but I think that they think that watching your mistakes after the fact will make you more empathetic, which isn't a very logical correlation in my opinion

A simulation patient can simply wear a GoPro (~$300) if this is what you want.

Last edited:
Me too. I was discussing this with one of the radiology faculty where I work (back when U of A released a video about how they were using Glass). His view was that innovations and improvements begin when you identify a problem and then work on creating an optimal solution (whether that be device, software, whatever). I agree. What makes me skeptical about their approach is that UCI is taking an opposite approach. They are starting with a technology and looking for things it can do. This ends up with people creating 'solutions' to 'problems' that weren't really problems to begin with.

Disagree with your view on innovation. Often times things that aren't seen as "problems" are still inconveniences and/or have room for increased efficiency. Exploratory work like this allows you to identify potential problems that a technology may be able to remedy so that you may engineer solutions for them.

Disagree with your view on innovation. Often times things that aren't seen as "problems" are still inconveniences and/or have room for increased efficiency. Exploratory work like this allows you to identify potential problems that a technology may be able to remedy so that you may engineer solutions for them.

You're not engineering anything if you are taking a developed device and poking around with it trying to find 'problems' or 'inconveniences' it can solve.

Just a marketing scheme by the schools. I imagine many of the students forced to use Glass will be bitching about it for all four years.

How long before NP programs integrate Google Glass?

Reactions: 3 users
You're not engineering anything if you are taking a developed device and poking around with it trying to find 'problems' or 'inconveniences' it can solve.

Tell that to Facebook, Spotify, Google, Youtube, Amazon, and the countless other companies that "poked around" with the internet and came out with elegant solutions it could provide to previously nonexistent problems.

#softwareengineering #whichcamefirsttheproblemorthegg :rofl:

Last edited:
That's a good question. It seems expensive to custom lens every pair of glass for a class just to beta test it. Also, there are a couple people in my class with either prism lenses or bifocals..I wonder how they would deal with that.
The same way us glasses wearers have always dealt with the societal infrastructure largely suited for non wearers. Just deal with it. :yeahright:

Tell that to Facebook, Spotify, Google, Youtube, Amazon, and the countless other companies that "poked around" with the internet and came out with elegant solutions it could provide to previously nonexistent problems.

#softwareengineering #whichcamefirsttheproblemorthegg :rofl:

All of those companies had clearly defined problems to solve. Facebook: connecting with others online. Spotify: music on demand. Google: search. YouTube: free video hosting. Amazon: a one-stop shop.

What problem is Google Glass trying to solve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of those companies had clearly defined problems to solve. Facebook: connecting with others online. Spotify: music on demand. Google: search. YouTube: free video hosting. Amazon: a one-stop shop.

What problem is Google Glass trying to solve?

Hands free computer use/augmented reality? I'm sure it will get big eventually..it's just not there yet. Didn't Facebook start as a site to rate college girls?

Hands free computer use/augmented reality? I'm sure it will get big eventually..it's just not there yet. Didn't Facebook start as a site to rate college girls?

It's a great product, don't get me wrong, but I'm just failing to see how it can be used in its current form in medical education. At least in a way that justifies the currently absurd cost.

Reactions: 1 users

I think it is still a site to rate college girls :naughty:

It's a great product, don't get me wrong, but I'm just failing to see how it can be used in its current form in medical education. At least in a way that justifies the currently absurd cost.

I used to say the same thing about iPads. Now I'm required to buy one before August

EDIT: Just realized thats the title of this thread...

What about surgery? It seems like Glass could be helpful in streaming live surgeries and giving medical students that perspective. Yes, I realize there are other ways, but this may be simpler in the long run. Don't know if the tech is quite refined enough yet but experimenting with new technology on a small scale never hurts.

What about surgery? It seems like Glass could be helpful in streaming live surgeries and giving medical students that perspective. Yes, I realize there are other ways, but this may be simpler in the long run. Don't know if the tech is quite refined enough yet but experimenting with new technology on a small scale never hurts.

Well, sure. In fact, something similar was done by some surgeons like 10 years ago when webcams came out (this was at a time in technology when webcams were like 'whoa, revolutionary'). Some surgeons went nuts and began recording and streaming their surgeries.

The problem is in your reasoning. You are thinking "Perhaps we can use Glass for streaming surgeries...". In reality the better approach is "We are told that doctors want to stream videos of their surgeries, how can we do this best?'". With the former approach you're buying an expensive and fragile solution to the task. In the latter approach, you build a solution fit the specific task for a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem is in your reasoning. You are thinking "Perhaps we can use Glass for streaming surgeries...". In reality the better approach is "We are told that doctors want to stream videos of their surgeries, how can we do this best?'"

So, just use a GoPro? Ridiculously cheaper, probably better video quality, and reliable.

I have no problem incorporating more technology in the medical field since I love tech, but most hospitals are still adapting to electronic medical records...

So, just use a GoPro? Ridiculously cheaper, probably better video quality, and reliable.

I have no problem incorporating more technology in the medical field since I love tech, but most hospitals are still adapting to electronic medical records...

Some doctors needed to be taught to "double click". true story