First offer and I want to accept!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatsFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding it hard not to accept the first offer they've gotten? I really love the program and the person I'd be working with at this school, but I still have a couple interviews to go to, so I can't accept quite yet. One of the interviews is at a program that's just as good if not a little better than the one I've been accepted to, so I want to check it out and make sure I'm not making any rash decisions. I just want to know where I'm going already!!

Members don't see this ad.

Slow your roll! Go to the rest of your interviews. I definitely changed my mind after I interviewed at a few places and re-ranked my preferences. Congrats on the 1st offer, now take a sigh of relief and check out your other options. Don't short change yourself.

Is anyone else finding it hard not to accept the first offer they've gotten? I really love the program and the person I'd be working with at this school, but I still have a couple interviews to go to, so I can't accept quite yet. One of the interviews is at a program that's just as good if not a little better than the one I've been accepted to, so I want to check it out and make sure I'm not making any rash decisions. I just want to know where I'm going already!!

This isn't really a question, it's more of a "Yey Me!" kind of thing.

Normally, I'd want to tell you to go talk to a wall, but you know what, GO YOU!

I'm excited for you! Where were you accepted? What are your other potential options? PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!!!

Definitely understand the excitement, but hope you can take your time with this important decision that will dictate many aspects of your life for the next several years. It makes the process much more fun to have an offer in hand when going to other interviews, but you definitely owe it to yourself and the other sites where you will interview to consider what they have to offer very carefully. There's really no rush to accept, as long as you don't drag out the process too long (you will want to free up spots for other applicants). Hope it all goes well, and congrats!

I feel somewhat the same way. I have an offer but still have interviews at 2 more schools (which are not my top choices). On the one hand, I feel that taking my acceptance and backing out on the other two schools would seem very rude. The field is in my area is pretty small and I definitely don't want to burn any bridges. On the other hand, I don't want to waste the time of the other schools that I have interviews with if I don't plan to attend in the end.

This isn't really a question, it's more of a "Yey Me!" kind of thing.

Normally, I'd want to tell you to go talk to a wall, but you know what, GO YOU!

I'm excited for you! Where were you accepted? What are your other potential options? PM me if you want.

Haha, I guess it was sort of a humble brag. I didn't mean it to sound that way, I was more just honestly wondering if anyone else was in the same situation!

Thanks everyone, and wuawua it's good to know someone's feeling the same way!

Edited to add: Here's more of an actual question. Has anyone else ever interviewed with a certain professor, and then later interviewed with that professor's former student (or vice versa)? Since we're applying to programs based on research interests and specific fields get pretty small, I can imagine that this isn't as uncommon as you might think. I'm just wondering how this will play out. For instance, if one of them accepts me, will it make it more or less likely that the other one will too?

Last edited:
Haha, I guess it was sort of a humble brag. I didn't mean it to sound that way, I was more just honestly wondering if anyone else was in the same situation!

Thanks everyone, and wuawua it's good to know someone's feeling the same way!

Edited to add: Here's more of an actual question. Has anyone else ever interviewed with a certain professor, and then later interviewed with that professor's former student (or vice versa)? Since we're applying to programs based on research interests and specific fields get pretty small, I can imagine that this isn't as uncommon as you might think. I'm just wondering how this will play out. For instance, if one of them accepts me, will it make it more or less likely that the other one will too?

Re: your last question, in the instances where I've heard of this happening (which are admittedly limited, so take what I say with a grain of salt), it seems more likely that both would share the same opinion (interested or not interested) given that they have similar interests and "styles" themselves, and thus may look for similar graduate students. After all, it makes sense that your expectation of what a "good" graduate student looks like will likely be based, at least to some degree, on your own grad school experiences and on the preferences of your advisor while there. Former advisors/advisees also obviously seem to communicate with one another more regarding applicants than would two individuals who only know each other in passing, although perhaps not any more so than would two faculty who have a long history together.

Oh, and as others have said, congrats on the offer. Given how maddening the entire process can be, I'd say you deserve to do a little self back-patting :)

Here's more of an actual question. Has anyone else ever interviewed with a certain professor, and then later interviewed with that professor's former student (or vice versa)? Since we're applying to programs based on research interests and specific fields get pretty small, I can imagine that this isn't as uncommon as you might think. I'm just wondering how this will play out. For instance, if one of them accepts me, will it make it more or less likely that the other one will too?

Yes, this did happen to me. I received an offer from the senior professor first, and when I told this to his former student (after he asked, of course), he basically said, you should take it, but I still got an offer from the student as well. As you say, academia's a very small world, so I think transparency coupled with respect and politeness is appropriate if you are asked about it. I wouldn't say it's a definite offer from one or both, but it will be a confirmation from these folks that you are appealing to the right group of researchers and so I think it can only help. They also may give you some very useful, specific advice about the benefits and possible negatives about working with the other person. I wouldn't ask but they may offer.

This happened to me. It shouldn't affect terribly much -- they might communicate, but odds are if either wants to make you an offer, they will. It's not within your control so why overthink it? :)

Here's my situation,

I went on 2 interviews, one acceptance so far from the school I had the best fit with. Very excited and will gladly accept even if I don't hear from anyone else. However, there are a few programs I would at least like to entertain a thought about attending, but they haven't sent me an invite. They also haven't sent me a rejection (most likely wait-listed for interview as others have reported official rejections). Should I contact my POIs at these schools asking about my status or should I just wait? I know there isn't any harm waiting, but I kind of just want to get this whole process over with so I can celebrate and then focus on all the logistical stuff.

Here's my situation,

I went on 2 interviews, one acceptance so far from the school I had the best fit with. Very excited and will gladly accept even if I don't hear from anyone else. However, there are a few programs I would at least like to entertain a thought about attending, but they haven't sent me an invite. They also haven't sent me a rejection (most likely wait-listed for interview as others have reported official rejections). Should I contact my POIs at these schools asking about my status or should I just wait? I know there isn't any harm waiting, but I kind of just want to get this whole process over with so I can celebrate and then focus on all the logistical stuff.

That's exactly how I feel, I want to get it all over with so I can figure out stuff like where I'm going to live next year! I'm in the same situation, I've been to three interviews, one acceptance from my best fit school. The school I've been accepted to is my top choice out of the ones I've gotten interviews at, but there are a few more highly ranked schools that I haven't heard anything from. I can't necessarily tell you the best thing to do, but I was just planning on waiting for the outcome of my interview this coming weekend, and then most likely accepting the first offer. I guess I had kind of written off the other schools since I hadn't been invited to interview yet.

That's exactly how I feel, I want to get it all over with so I can figure out stuff like where I'm going to live next year! I'm in the same situation, I've been to three interviews, one acceptance from my best fit school. The school I've been accepted to is my top choice out of the ones I've gotten interviews at, but there are a few more highly ranked schools that I haven't heard anything from. I can't necessarily tell you the best thing to do, but I was just planning on waiting for the outcome of my interview this coming weekend, and then most likely accepting the first offer. I guess I had kind of written off the other schools since I hadn't been invited to interview yet.

I personally just accepted my first offer and I am happy it is all over! My situation may be a bit different since this is my second time around and a fair bit of my interviews were with places I had also interviewed at last year. However, when I got my offer, I canceled my last three interviews and withdrew from all the other places I was still under consideration. This POI was my clear first choice and it wasn't worth waiting for offers I didn't plan on accepting.
However, if you aren't 100%, I would wait. It is a huge choice and you don't want to be thinking of the "what-if"s for the next five years.