First post, please be nice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecided1995

Reaction score
Hello fellow student doctor netters! So this is my first post, I was given this website by a friend and told that I should come on here and ask the couple of questions I have. My aunt is a Veterinarian and has her own practice. I worked for her for over 5000 hours assisting with various duties such as radiographs, HBC treatments, surgeries, ETC. I had a rough start in college. This in turn made my cGPA and sGPA very low, Im talking under 3.0. I am in the last semester of my bachelors and over the past 4 semesters, roughly 60 credit hours of upper division science courses I have a 3.9 GPA. Unfortunately this did not improve my overall GPAs due to the amount of credits I have accumulated. My aunt says that I wont be able to become a Vet due to the early on grades but from reading on here that may not be all entirely true? I have a substantial story for why my grades suffered as well I am just afraid I will be unable to pursue this career. I am a florida resident and my aunt went to tennessee. Thank you in advance for any words of advice any of you have.

Members don't see this ad.

A low cumulative is definitely something you can get around. While some schools set a minimum cumulative of of 3.0 (or higher) and you'd be otu of luck for those unless you could raise it, there are others that don't have that requirement. Some schools favor the last 45 GPA. There are other schools that don't consider cumulative at all.

The science/prerequisite GPA may present more of an issue but also is generally easier to fix since there are less credits factored into it and some schools will do grade forgiveness if you retake some of those classes.

Reactions: 1 users
A low cumulative is definitely something you can get around. While some schools set a minimum cumulative of of 3.0 (or higher) and you'd be otu of luck for those unless you could raise it, there are others that don't have that requirement. Some schools favor the last 45 GPA. There are other schools that don't consider cumulative at all.

The science/prerequisite GPA may present more of an issue but also is generally easier to fix since there are less credits factored into it and some schools will do grade forgiveness if you retake some of those classes.
My GPA per my school with grade forgiveness is a 3.7. I also received all As and Bs in pre reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely apply then! Every school has different pre reqs and GPA requirements, so you need to look per school. But I got into 2 schools my 1st cycle with a 3.00 cumulative/prereq and a last 45 of 3.70. It can be done! Just do your research and apply smart. :) Also don't be afraid to contact the admissions offices to speak to an advisor.

Reactions: 2 users
This is absolutely doable. Thoroughly research the admissions policies of the schools and make your list based on what schools strongly favor the last 45 GPA, the pre-req GPA, and this that don't factor in cumulative GPA. Florida will be your top, so see what they look for; from there, you have several options as far as applying. Don't be afraid to email schools and ask specific questions on their GPA policies. Use the explanation statement sections to your advantage.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
This is absolutely doable. Thoroughly research the admissions policies of the schools and make your list based on what schools strongly favor the last 45 GPA, the pre-req GPA, and this that don't factor in cumulative GPA. Florida will be your top, so see what they look for; from there, you have several options as far as applying. Don't be afraid to email schools and ask specific questions on their GPA policies. Use the explanation statement sections to your advantage.

Good luck!

This is reassuring to me. Thank you!

You should definitely apply then! Every school has different pre reqs and GPA requirements, so you need to look per school. But I got into 2 schools my 1st cycle with a 3.00 cumulative/prereq and a last 45 of 3.70. It can be done! Just do your research and apply smart. :) Also don't be afraid to contact the admissions offices to speak to an advisor.

How were your overall GPA's?

She was saying Florida should be your top choice because it’s your in state.

Cumulative is the same as overall GPA.

I must have read over the cumulative part. I am aware they are the same. Florida would definitely be my top choice and they dont have a stated minimum so maybe Ill get in contact with their admissions.