First rotation, help needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
my first two rotations are Psychiatry and Ob/Gyn and I'm very interested in both.

I'd like to request you all to share your Ob/Gyn and Psych pocketbook of choice and a decent (comprehensive) template/algorithm for Ob/Gyn h&ps.

Members don't see this ad.

Psych: Understand the axis designation. Nothing to worry about there, almost all psychiatrists are awesome human beings (that's why they did psych).

Ob: The four most important questions to ask in Ob (As in these should be the first four questions you always ask on L&D):

1) Any Contractions?
2) Any Vaginal Bleeding?
3) Any Discharge?
4) Can you still feel baby moving?

Reactions: 1 users
Psych: Understand the axis designation. Nothing to worry about there, almost all psychiatrists are awesome human beings (that's why they did psych).

Thought they were getting rid of the axis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Google "obgyn h&p template" and click the first non-sponsored result. Should be an APGO pdf will that and more.

Didn't use a pocket book for psych or ob/gyn and can't imagine what I would use now if I had to do it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Google "obgyn h&p template" and click the first non-sponsored result. Should be an APGO pdf will that and more.

Didn't use a pocket book for psych or ob/gyn and can't imagine what I would use now if I had to do it again.
I can understand not using a pocketbook for Psych, but didn't you need to access, say, algorithms for Gyn? Unless you had your tablet with you and used access med like you mentioned earlier.

Well for Gyn-Onc I would use NCCN guidelines but I never really use algorithms otherwise. I find a lot of the workup and overall approach to most of this stuff pretty intuitive. Obgyn is kind of a world of its own with its own vocabulary, but still pretty easy to figure out what you need to do in most situations. Our school also provided readings and some small group didactics covering many of the most common topics and frontloaded those pretty heavy in the rotation. It was also a later rotation for me so I had already been through surg/IM.

I've thought about buying a tablet but just don't think I would use it much. I'm more of a print out things I'm reading kind of person, and I just use hospital computers if I need to jump on UpToDate or AccessMedicine. Maybe I'd bite the bullet if it would integrate easily with our EMR, but so far that interface is pretty slow and clunky and just not worth it to me.

Reactions: 1 user