First time freshman, social sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daeg_doodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am officially starting college in January, my (obvious) major is Pharmacy. I am enrolled into my local college's AA pharmacy program.

Yesterday I had the excitement of selecting my courses. I am only taking 4 courses to start, including intermediate algebra, freshman comp 1, intro to humanities, and my *chosen* social science core is U.S. history 1877.

I love history and I generally look forward to the class,not only to fulfill program requirements, but also for my own personal gain/enjoyment. I am concerned of the relevance however with my intended major. I still have time to add/drop courses, and I'm interested in what those of you (currently or previously) in my position have taken.

Among my elected social science, intro to anthropology, sociology, psychology, national gov., and principles of economics (macro) are also offered.

I'm only in my first semester so I understand I'm going to have to take the basics first, therefore I'm not too disappointed that I was unable to just dive into all the *phun* :) pharmacy-related content. Before starting any natural sciences (including college algebra and chemistry), I will have to complete my intermediate algebra.

Anyways, thanks for listening and I look forward to your feedback. I'm biting the bullet so to speak, I've been a pharmacy tech for some time and despite all the anguish we deal with on a daily basis, I really couldn't see myself doing anything else. Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am officially starting college in January, my (obvious) major is Pharmacy. I am enrolled into my local college's AA pharmacy program.

Yesterday I had the excitement of selecting my courses. I am only taking 4 courses to start, including intermediate algebra, freshman comp 1, intro to humanities, and my *chosen* social science core is U.S. history 1877.

I love history and I generally look forward to the class,not only to fulfill program requirements, but also for my own personal gain/enjoyment. I am concerned of the relevance however with my intended major. I still have time to add/drop courses, and I'm interested in what those of you (currently or previously) in my position have taken.

Among my elected social science, intro to anthropology, sociology, psychology, national gov., and principles of economics (macro) are also offered.

I'm only in my first semester so I understand I'm going to have to take the basics first, therefore I'm not too disappointed that I was unable to just dive into all the *phun* :) pharmacy-related content. Before starting any natural sciences (including college algebra and chemistry), I will have to complete my intermediate algebra.

Anyways, thanks for listening and I look forward to your feedback. I'm biting the bullet so to speak, I've been a pharmacy tech for some time and despite all the anguish we deal with on a daily basis, I really couldn't see myself doing anything else. Haha.

Good luck starting college! One class I would recommend you take at some point is psychology as more and more colleges of pharmacy are pushing that into a requirement. Economics is also a general requirement, but I'm not sure if principles of economics would count or not. However, you do not have to take those right away as you have time and not every single class you take will be geared specifically towards pharmacy. If you enjoy history, and it sounds like you do, I would say stick with it.

I really hope you mean that your major is pre-pharmacy and not pharmacy as in pharmacy tech.

Take what you want as long as it satisfies your pre-req requirements. Those extra classes are not supposed to relate to your major per se, but make you a more well rounded person.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/stude...2015-16 PharmacyPre-RequisiteInformation2.pdf

Also, here is a document which I don't believe is used enough on this forum. It will help you choose which classes to take to satisfy multiple school's req's.