First Timer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stastrong37

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm a Junior Exercise Science major at a small school in southern PA, interested in PT school after I graduate. My GPA is 3.95, without having taken Chemistry yet. GRE scores were okay; 156 Quantitative, 157 Verbal, and 5.0 Analytical Writing. I've spent the last year and a half working at an outpatient physical therapy clinic as an aide. I've also spent the last year or so working as a research assistant for one of the professors in my department. I plan on applying this summer, I just wanted to get an idea of where I stand as of now. How do I compare, and what caliber of schools in this area should I be looking into? Thanks in advance for your input. Look forward to hearing a new perspective!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to know if you will get into a PT school then the answer is definitely yes. You already have the observation experience, although I would highly recommend getting hours in another setting, such as inpatient. Your GPA is way above average (3.54 cum. among accepted applicants last year) and your combined GRE score of 1280 is as well (~1180 among accepted applicants last year). I assume you already have around 3 people (PTs, professors) who will fill out recommendations for you.

I think you should be looking at whatever school you want really. Every program offers something different and I believe you would be competitive with any program that you apply to, so do your research and see what school fits you best (keep cost, student loans, location, etc. in mind).

If you want more info on previous PTCAS applicants check this out: http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw that, thanks. Was just hoping to get some opinions....but thank you!

My GPA is 3.95, without having taken Chemistry yet. GRE scores were okay; 156 Quantitative, 157 Verbal, and 5.0 Analytical Writing.

I would say your GRE is better than okay. Anything >300 is competitive and 5.0 is outstanding.

I would say your GRE is better than okay. Anything >300 is competitive and 5.0 is outstanding.
I've read that the analytical writing isn't looked at as closely as the other two sections. Any truth to that?

If you want to know if you will get into a PT school then the answer is definitely yes. You already have the observation experience, although I would highly recommend getting hours in another setting, such as inpatient. Your GPA is way above average (3.54 cum. among accepted applicants last year) and your combined GRE score of 1280 is as well (~1180 among accepted applicants last year). I assume you already have around 3 people (PTs, professors) who will fill out recommendations for you.

I think you should be looking at whatever school you want really. Every program offers something different and I believe you would be competitive with any program that you apply to, so do your research and see what school fits you best (keep cost, student loans, location, etc. in mind).

If you want more info on previous PTCAS applicants check this out: http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf
That's very helpful, thank you. On a different note, does anyone have advice on how to get inpatient hours? It's been a bit of a struggle thus far....

I've read that the analytical writing isn't looked at as closely as the other two sections. Any truth to that?
Depends on the school. Some programs told me they felt the writing section is most important, some the reading, others didn't value the GRE at all. Many will waive a writing class as a pre-req if you have at least a certain grade (I think usually a 4.0), so I'd say having a good grade is at least handy. I'd say the math section is the least important out of the three by far. I haven't heard of any program that really weighs it strongly.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm certainly looking forward to the end-result. The process? Not so much.

That's very helpful, thank you. On a different note, does anyone have advice on how to get inpatient hours? It's been a bit of a struggle thus far....
If you haven't had any luck on the hospital front, try nursing homes and long term care facilities.

Absolutely agree with NewTestament. That GPA is pretty solid too. Research the average scores of accepted applicants for each school - this information is found on PTCAS. Also, no one here can really tell you where you stand, it depends on numerous factors including the caliber of applicants applying at the same time as you are. I completely understand when someone has a unique case where they are a non-traditional student or a student with borderline grades asking for people's opinions about where they stand... but there is no reason anyone with a near 4.0 GPA to express concern... seriously? I hope you don't think I'm rude, I just want to let the OP know they are either more worried than they need to be, or being modest to seek praises ;) CALM DOWN, you are bound to get in somewhere (unless if you completely f*** up the interview). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are impressive. If you apply to schools with interviews, remember grades are not everything. They will get you in the door, but your personality will seal the deal.

As far as inpatient hours, ask the PTs you work with. They will more than likely know someone who works at an inpatient facility. Be careful with nursing homes, some schools do not accept those observation hours.

Absolutely agree with NewTestament. That GPA is pretty solid too. Research the average scores of accepted applicants for each school - this information is found on PTCAS. Also, no one here can really tell you where you stand, it depends on numerous factors including the caliber of applicants applying at the same time as you are. I completely understand when someone has a unique case where they are a non-traditional student or a student with borderline grades asking for people's opinions about where they stand... but there is no reason anyone with a near 4.0 GPA to express concern... seriously? I hope you don't think I'm rude, I just want to let the OP know they are either more worried than they need to be, or being modest to seek praises ;) CALM DOWN, you are bound to get in somewhere (unless if you completely f*** up the interview). Good luck!
Thanks for the well wishes. I didn't think that was rude at all. I'm just coming from a smaller school, and not many people are looking into PT. It's just nice to get a different perspective; especially from people who aren't from my area. Thanks again!