First Year BU Student Taking Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth Ferry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Current 1st year BU student here in 5th week of class. Happy to answer questions about the school, application, interview, or anything else. Also I can answer anything about Army HPSP if you're interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When was your Army packet submitted and when did you receive the award?
I actually didn't contact a recruiter until early November - got screwed over by Navy. The deadline was late December and my packet was submitted before then BUT I had a prior surgery that needed to be reviewed by MEPS. So I basically had to get a waiver from someone pretty high up to allow my packet to be submitted without the medical exam.

Long story short, I got the physical right before the board actually met; we got acceptances back around the end of February but I didn't hear back on my waiver until May.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still any problems with getting patients and fulfilling your clinical requirements?

About how long did it take for you to hear back from BU? If you remember!

When did you send your application in?

What does your school do with the application fees of students that they never contact about the status of their application? I've been in dental school for a month and have still not heard of the status of my application from when I received acknowledgement of its receipt by the school in July of 2015.
Use them to buy me free lunches.

In all seriousness, take it up with admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have observed conflicting GPA requirements for BU, can you tell me the approximate overall GPA, BCP GPA, etc. for your school so that I can compare them with my stats?

Last edited:
Did most accepted students have connections with BU graduates? They ask if I have any connection with BU.

Sent from my SHV-E250K using SDN mobile

I have observed conflicting GPA requirements for BU, can you tell me the approximate overall GPA, BCP GPA, etc. for your school so that I can compare them with my stats?
I can tell you that our gpa was around a 3.3, BCP was slightly lower, and DAT was a 19. We got tons of stats on this during orientation. I unfortunately do not have the specifics handy.

Is it impossible to specialize out of BU? What are the match rates like?
Roughly 33% of grads specialize out of here per class, from what I've heard. If you really want to specialize, you need to go to an elite school. A friend told me that 34/35 of their grads specialized. To specialize, need to perform well. It's easier at the elite schools because it's pass/fail. It all comes down to h0w much time you put in/how much time you need to excel.

How is the workload at BU?
Intense, but probably no different than any other dental school. I am in class at least 7 hours per day, then have to study beyond that; basically all I do is study. We have 2 exams this week and another exam in a week. I think there's ~150 in the first two years.

I have my BU interview soon and was wondering if you had any advice about how to prepare and what type of interview it will be.

I have my BU interview soon and was wondering if you had any advice about how to prepare and what type of interview it will be.
Just try to relax, it's pretty informal. They'll want to get to know you and your interests. Not confrontational at all.

Just try to relax, it's pretty informal. They'll want to get to know you and your interests. Not confrontational at all.

Are there any schools that are known for being really hard interviewers? I feel like most I've heard about are friendly.

Are there any schools that are known for being really hard interviewers? I feel like most I've heard about are friendly.

The only thing that I've heard about Florida is that interview day is miserable.

Last edited:
What does your school do with the application fees of students that they never contact about the status of their application? I've been in dental school for a month and have still not heard of the status of my application from when I received acknowledgement of its receipt by the school in July of 2015.

why are you asking this guy that question? You got into your school of choice, get over it, why are you still bitter.

How would you like me to do better?

Would you like more knock-knock jokes? More "why did the chicken cross the road?". How about "a pharm student, dental student and med student walk into a bar..." jokes?

I need a little guidance before I put it in the work to gain your approval.
Don't worry @Scumbag_Steve we liked your humor. The person'a probaby just mad they didn't get into UConn ;)

Don't worry @Scumbag_Steve we liked your humor. The person'a probaby just mad they didn't get into UConn ;)

what a neat theory, but i didn't apply there. But if anyone found it humorous, props to scumbag.
But it's time to move on. I am sure there are more than dozen schools that tell you nothing until the end of the cycle.
I've had at least 2-3 that let me know that I wasn't selected in July/August.
Don't have to beat the same subject to death at every chance you get. We know who keeps the money. Just think about it.

what a neat theory, but i didn't apply there. But if anyone found it humorous, props to scumbag.
But it's time to move on. I am sure there are more than dozen schools that tell you nothing until the end of the cycle.
I've had at least 2-3 that let me know that I wasn't selected in July/August.
Don't have to beat the same subject to death at every chance you get. We know who keeps the money. Just think about it.
I keep it neat, not messy. Cough cough ;)

I'm sorry to hear that, it's quite ****ed up that they do that. I was angry when just one school did it. I know they keep the money, but $75 should at least buy us a rejection email.

They will probably use that to buy delicious meals for 2021 students coming to interview. If they don't believe in rejection letters so be it. You got in, I got in, who cares anymore. Happy life.

They will probably use that to buy delicious meals for 2021 students coming to interview. If they don't believe in rejection letters so be it. You got in, I got in, who cares anymore. Happy life.
Only way we're getting those is being a tour guide

Hey! I have a few questions actually,

I heard that they accept most of the people they interview, is that true?
Also, I've heard a lot of negative things regarding the BU dental program, how are you liking your experience at BU so far?

What did you think of Dr. Mara's class???
Best
Hey! I have a few questions actually,

I heard that they accept most of the people they interview, is that true?
Also, I've heard a lot of negative things regarding the BU dental program, how are you liking your experience at BU so far?
I can't really speak to that. I have no complaints and everyone that I've met has been really happy here. I think everyone here wants you to succeed and it shows. I haven't seen any negatives (YET), except that they're about to do a total redo of the school and we are all gonna miss it.