First-Year Dropout (Med Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliezaria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone, I have questions and concerns in regards to dropping-out of med school during my first year. Currently, I'm pregnant;therefore, I dropped-out of med school at the ending of my spring-term (M1). I was just a month pregnant and notify the school that I was leaving. Moreover, I didnt take leave of absence because I'm not planning on returning back to Morehouse;however, I'm considering on re-applying to Med school within my hometown. In all honesty, what is the likely hood of me getting accepted into med school since I dropped-out due pregnancy?

Members don't see this ad.

Why couldn't you do medical school pregnant? I feel like schools may think that you are a flight risk seeing as you could have completed your first year and then taken a year off and then started back up again. I think they would have understood something like that. It's going to be hard to convince the adcoms at the school you want to attend that you really want to be a doctor. Won't it be harder as a mother to be in medical school than to be in school while pregnant???

Well, as part of the med school apps they ask if you've ever attended med school. Then, if yes, did you leave in good/not good academic standing.

You didn't say anything about failing classes, so if you left in good academic standing it shouldn't be impossible to get back into med school. Of course, it doesn't look good either. If you write a good story for what happened, maybe some of the schools will let you back in. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're going to have to address your desires to do med school. What assurances can you give that either you won't get pregnant again, or if you do you won't drop out again?

Considering you dropped out when pregnant, med school administration might take that action to mean your children are obviously more important to you than med school and it may come across as not willing to do both at the same time. They may also ask what arrangements have been made regarding your children? What if they get sick?

Your dropping out may raise many more questions than normal. Had you taken a leave and tried to transfer, that would have probably been much much easier to handle. I would call the dean of the local med school and ask some very direct questions and ask for some brutally honest answers.

Did you complete M1?

Your best chance of getting back in is at your old school.
Schools have too many well qualified candidates to want to take a chance on anyone with even a small red flag.

Academically, I'm fair. However, I was planning on transferring to UCF, but their fairly new with a seating of 50 students. In addition, they don't do transfers as of yet. There's plenty of med school in the state of florida, and the reason why i was looking at UCF because it's within my hometown. Right now, i'm trying to determine the odds of me getting back into another med school. Also, how would the school know if I was already in med school and later dropout if I don't mention it?

Academically, I'm fair. However, I was planning on transferring to UCF, but their fairly new with a seating of 50 students. In addition, they don't do transfers as of yet. There's plenty of med school in the state of florida, and the reason why i was looking at UCF because it's within my hometown. Right now, i'm trying to determine the odds of me getting back into another med school. Also, how would the school know if I was already in med school and later dropout if I don't mention it?

They could search this and then you would be expelled then blacklisted. Don't lie.

http://www.aamc.org/programs/srs/start.htm

Student Records System (SRS)

The AAMC's Student Records System (SRS) houses secure, centralized enrollment information on the national medical student population and tracks student progress from matriculation through graduation. The collection of these data assists medical schools with meeting the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) requirements of reporting enrollment data and provides medical schools with benchmark enrollment, retention and graduation data.

Run by the AAMC's division of Enrollment Services, the SRS is a secure, Internet-based application that contains a record for every student currently enrolled in an LCME-accredited U.S. allopathic medical school. The source for each record in the database is national data collected by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). AMCAS provides SRS matriculant data for the entire national applicant pool, including non-AMCAS schools.

Students' biographic and enrollment status data make up the SRS Class Rosters. These online class rosters enable all medical school registrars and student records representatives to make regular updates and verify the accuracy of the information contained in SRS. Registrars compare their student records with the class rosters and make any corrections or updates using the SRS. Class rosters M1-M4 list all actively enrolled medical students by class level. The Inactive roster lists all students who are currently on a leave of absence or participating in a combined degree program, research, or special studies.

The SRS also has reports that provide the AAMC, constituents and other researchers with statistical information on such things as enrollment profiles, student retention patterns, and graduation rates. Custom reports are available on request.

Might be a moot point for this particular case, but don't most schools allow you to defer in such situations?

Evening everyone, I have questions and concerns in regards to dropping-out of med school during my first year. Currently, I'm pregnant;therefore, I dropped-out of med school at the ending of my spring-term (M1). I was just a month pregnant and notify the school that I was leaving. Moreover, I didnt take leave of absence because I'm not planning on returning back to Morehouse;however, I'm considering on re-applying to Med school within my hometown. In all honesty, what is the likely hood of me getting accepted into med school since I dropped-out due pregnancy?

Your chances are pretty poor. You should have taken LOA and worked on transfer. Unless you use another person's AAMC/SSN, you are going to light up as a previously matriculated student which you will have to explain. So far, you don't have a good reason for "dropping out" and not taking an LOA.

This is so dumb. I can't believe I have to compete with you for med school. You got accepted, then left (so you basically stole a seat from someone on the waitlist) because you got pregnant. Too bad. Plus there's the fact that the real reason you probably left Morehouse is because you'd rather go to a med school in your hometown, which is apparently Orlando. I mean do you people not think these things through before? Because I guarantee you that getting into UCF is not going to be as easy as you think.

Oh, also, how would they know if you matriculated at another med school? Because the AAMC probably keeps tabs on stuff like that. You applied using AMCAS previously and if you were accepted to Morehouse, Morehouse would have shared this information with the AAMC - they're not idiots you know. The fact that you want to re-apply to medical school without mentioning that you matriculated at U.S. MD school only to drop out later is pretty disturbing. I'm not sure how you got accepted to Morehouse in the first place.

Your chances are pretty poor. You should have taken LOA and worked on transfer. Unless you use another person's AAMC/SSN, you are going to light up as a previously matriculated student which you will have to explain. So far, you don't have a good reason for "dropping out" and not taking an LOA.

Exactly, so far, all the OP's done is come off as manipulative and dishonest. And adcoms are far better than I am at discerning character traits.

try to do a rotation in obstetrics when you're due! : ]

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best chance by far is back at Morehouse. A lot depends on the conditions under which you left though, most notably whether you were in good academic standing (and even how good "good" was, barely passing but still in good standing wouldn't bode well either). Your reason for leaving is actually, realitvely speaking, an excellent one. As far as reasons for dropping out of medical school go, getting pregnant is about as good as you can do next to a major family crisis that forces you to leave, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. However, as others have said, taking a leave of absense would have been the much better thing to do. So here's how I see it.

1. They accepted you once, so you're clearly the type of student they want there.
2. One thing you have going for you above pretty much all other applicants is that you've already succsfully completed M1- you're a proven entity...this is huge.
3. You had an excellent reason for leaving, unlike most people who just get "cold feet"/decide it's not for them/etc about medical school and leave.

If I were you I'd talk to one of the more senior people in the admissions office and discuss your situation with them. Make sure you've got your life in order though and would be able to say that having a baby now won't interfere with your studeis/future enrollment at the school. You've got a unique situation and I would worry that if you just applied through the regular method with thousands of others, your reason for leaving/prior success at the school might get lost in the shuffle. Talk to someone high up, let them know you're re-applying to Morehouse and make sure they know what the circumstances were...you may have to re-do M1, or they may accept you with advanced standing into M2, but either way, I think you've got a real shot at acceptance back to Morehouse if you play your cards right.

And hey, if it doesn't work out (but it should), there's always DO.

Last edited:
Don't be too sure about that "there's always DO" statement. :uhno: DO schools are getting more competitive every year, and are DO schools that are more competitive than some MD schools at this point. Having the "previously matriculated at another medical school" question flagged is not generally a good thing for any school, no matter where it is.

You definitely should have asked for a leave of absence, and not just dropped out. That was not a very well thought out decision, or you got bad advice.

I agree w/above advice...your best chance would be getting back into Morehouse. The chance of getting into one school, that only has 50 seats, in your home town is not going to be good for anyone. For someone who has already dropped out of school once, it is likely to be harder. I would advise you not to lie about your previous enrollment/matriculation, if you do choose to reapply. And you need to address why it was that you felt being pregnant necessitated dropping out, rather than taking a leave of absence. I wouldn't say you are cooked, but for sure your commitment to medicine is going to be questioned because of what you did. It's only fair and logical. That said, if you can show that you still really want to be a doc, you can do the academics, and that your family/whomever is helping you with the baby is going to be supportive, then med schools may consider you. I still think getting back into Morehouse would be 500% easier than trying to get into another school, though.

You definitely should have asked for a leave of absence, and not just dropped out. That was not a very well thought out decision, or you got bad advice.

I agree w/above advice...your best chance would be getting back into Morehouse. The chance of getting into one school, that only has 50 seats, in your home town is not going to be good for anyone. For someone who has already dropped out of school once, it is likely to be harder. I would advise you not to lie about your previous enrollment/matriculation, if you do choose to reapply. And you need to address why it was that you felt being pregnant necessitated dropping out, rather than taking a leave of absence. I wouldn't say you are cooked, but for sure your commitment to medicine is going to be questioned because of what you did. It's only fair and logical. That said, if you can show that you still really want to be a doc, you can do the academics, and that your family/whomever is helping you with the baby is going to be supportive, then med schools may consider you. I still think getting back into Morehouse would be 500% easier than trying to get into another school, though.

You guys don't get it. The OP doesn't want to go back to Morehouse. The whole point was to use the "I'm pregnant" excuse to drop out of medical school so that she could re-apply and matriculate into a different school entirely. The rest is just all formalities. Sharp lass you are, miss.

aliezaria,
did you finish up the M1 year, or not? The answer to that might help us give better advice, and I can't tell from your original post.

I think that the new med school in your home town might be extra hard to get into...I believe they are the school that was/is giving all the students a full scholarship for the first couple of years? That's going to attract a LOT of applicants. You can definitely give it a shot, however, particularly if you are dead set on going to school in your home town, or nowhere. If it doesn't work out, you might need to consider other options (such as doing optometry, pharmacy, etc.) if you want to do something in health care but can't aren't willing to relocate. The thing about med school is that there are so few seats that one can't count on getting into any one particular school...I think sometimes people, especially ones who had a relatively easy time getting into med school or got multiple acceptances, don't really realize that.

You are not a re-applicant but a previous matriculant. This puts you in a very poor position because you elected to leave. A better course of action would have been to take a leave of absence from your previous school for medical reasons. Since you didn't do this, you are going to have to lie about previous medical school attendance or face the fact that few (if any) medical schools in this country are going to be willing to take a chance on you.

In the event you elect to lie, I would warn that your application (AMCAS) generated an AAMC number which will be run through a computer check. You will come up on the list of previous matriculants which will totally end any chance of you attending any medical school in this country.

Your best course of action at this point would be to return to Morehouse and see if they will change your status to LOA. Under the best case scenario, that would allow you to withdraw in good standing which would not be as bad as dropping out (means that you left not in good standing).

If you can't get this done, I would say that your dropping out has tanked your chances of acceptance in this country. I don't care what your reasons were for "dropping out" but in terms of any professional school, "dropping out" is not a sound option. Leave of absence (LOA) exists to take care of medical and personal reasons for not being able to complete/perform well in your studies.

If you were advised to "drop out" you need to seek legal action against the person who gave you this advice. There are no "do-overs" in these types of situations.

Yes, I completed M1; however, since I didn't do summer there I'm not exactly sure. Fall and Spring was completed during M1, but for the summer no which would be me transitioning to M2.

Yes, I completed M1; however, since I didn't do summer there I'm not exactly sure. Fall and Spring was completed during M1, but for the summer no which would be me transitioning to M2.

i am so confused.... first ucf is accepting 60 seats this year, and why would they take you? i am a florida resident please tell me the secret as for pregnancy I went to school every day thru my pregnancy(i was in grad school) had a c section on a sat limped to school on a mon no family no car in miami now i am applying to get a seat in a school and you had one and left because you were pregnant or used it as an excuse to leave... if you left morehouse without a leave of absence why would they want you? i hate to sound negative....i am really confused:confused::confused:

I don't get it.

Bottom line is you made a bad choice and now you're basically screwed.

I heard about this girl who began having contractions during her Step II, and she finished taking it before rushing to the hospital to get the baby delivered. Really, pregnancy is no reason to drop out of school.

This is so pathetic. You get into medical school, you keep the spot, and education should be your first priority.

I think we've scared her out of this thread.

good i hope she is scared...... or ashamed:thumbup:

Does anyone notice a pattern in this thread? The medical school students/residents are trying to help her with this difficult situation, while the pre-med students are telling her how stupid she is.

Does it make you feel better to jump down her throat?

Does anyone notice a pattern in this thread? The medical school students/residents are trying to help her with this difficult situation, while the pre-med students are telling her how stupid she is.

I think it's the same reaction, only one is more restrained than the other.

MS/Residents: Um, you shouldn't have done that...
Premeds: What?! You did what?

I think troll....regardless, having being on adcom...she is facing an uphill battle. She made poor choices, first accepting a spot at a school she is NOT clearly interested in, then leaving w/o requesting LOA, then questionable if she indeed finished M1. She should have thought this through before starting medical school. Life is hard but most folks suck it up and move on.

Yes. Sorry if that offends you. But I think even residents will agree that just getting into med school is one of the worst/most stressful parts of the career and to see someone throw that opportunity away is a little frustrating, especially when many of us are struggling for that chance

maybe the premeds know how difficult it is to get a seat while the residents already had a seat. is it better to say its okay... it will work out... you have a chance... do not feel bad.... I am not trying to jump down her throat but I really am confused if the best excuse is I dropped out because i was pregnant how is any admissions commitee going to interpret that? There are mistakes in life that we can recover from and everything is a learning process and I do wish her well...but sugar coating a solution to a problem is not benefiting her.:):)

maybe the premeds know how difficult it is to get a seat while the residents already had a seat. is it better to say its okay... it will work out... you have a chance... do not feel bad.... I am not trying to jump down her throat but I really am confused if the best excuse is I dropped out because i was pregnant how is any admissions commitee going to interpret that? There are mistakes in life that we can recover from and everything is a learning process and I do wish her well...but sugar coating a solution to a problem is not benefiting her.:):)

Neither is being rude like that other guy, he definetly takes sick pleasure from bashing on someone in a pathetic state (albeit deserved.)

Show some god damn compassion, even if they are totally to blame for their mistakes. How would you feel if you did something stupid and not only did people not show you any compassion, but instead just bashed you about it? You probably feel bad enough as it is and dont need some douchebags on an internet forum to make fun of you further.

Yes, OP probably didn't make the right choice and probably wont get in, but neither will you if you're going to carry your life out with that bitter attitude.

Yes. Sorry if that offends you. But I think even residents will agree that just getting into med school is one of the worst/most stressful parts of the career and to see someone throw that opportunity away is a little frustrating, especially when many of us are struggling for that chance

Oh no, I totally disagree. Getting IN to medical school is the easiest part of your medical career. This was said to us during the school orientation by one of our school administrators and something I now realize entirely. After starting school I feel like someone hit me over the head with a sledgehammer and I'm just working furiously just to barely keep myself afloat.

Neither is being rude like that other guy, he definetly takes sick pleasure from bashing on someone in a pathetic state (albeit deserved.)

Show some god damn compassion, even if they are totally to blame for their mistakes. How would you feel if you did something stupid and not only did people not show you any compassion, but instead just bashed you about it? You probably feel bad enough as it is and dont need some douchebags on an internet forum to make fun of you further.

Yes, OP probably didn't make the right choice and probably wont get in, but neither will you if you're going to carry your life out with that bitter attitude.

The problem is that the OP seems to think her actions were justified, so it appears that she doesn't feel "bad enough" and in fact needs "some 'douchebags' on an internet forum to make fun of [her] further." Harsh? Perhaps. But it is in her best interest to be called out on her actions, or she will never improve.

Of course, if she's the "it's never my fault" type, then anything negative that is said will simply be dismissed anyway.

The problem is that the OP seems to think her actions were justified, so it appears that she doesn't feel "bad enough" and in fact needs "some 'douchebags' on an internet forum to make fun of [her] further." Harsh? Perhaps. But it is in her best interest to be called out on her actions, or she will never improve.

Of course, if she's the "it's never my fault" type, then anything negative that is said will simply be dismissed anyway.

LOL, I always love when people appoint themselves arbiter of what others "deserve." Nothing like a judgmental ass on the Internet to put in his/her two cents and show his/her true colors. Frankly, even in doing something stupid like dropping out of med school, I think the OP shows more character and integrity than you and Food combined.

I am amazed how ugly this site has become. Why do we have to debate with rudeness and smugness? The person that started this thread is probably not even reading it anymore, but yet everyone is still attacking each other. I am still amazed that these are the typre of people I will be spending the next four years of my life with, and then the next 20+ years of my career.

Oh no, I totally disagree. Getting IN to medical school is the easiest part of your medical career. This was said to us during the school orientation by one of our school administrators and something I now realize entirely. After starting school I feel like someone hit me over the head with a sledgehammer and I'm just working furiously just to barely keep myself afloat.

Forgive me, I meant to say in terms of uncertainty and unknowing. Once you're in medical school, you're in. Either you make it or you don't. I think most everyone would agree to that. At least, every single person I've talked to, med student, resident or doc. in person has told me that.

LOL, I always love when people appoint themselves arbiter of what others "deserve." Nothing like a judgmental ass on the Internet to put in his/her two cents and show his/her true colors. Frankly, even in doing something stupid like dropping out of med school, I think the OP shows more character and integrity than you and Food combined.

Nothing like a judgmental ass on the Internet to put in his/her two cents and show his/her true colors.

I am amazed how ugly this site has become. Why do we have to debate with rudeness and smugness? The person that started this thread is probably not even reading it anymore, but yet everyone is still attacking each other. I am still amazed that these are the typre of people I will be spending the next four years of my life with, and then the next 20+ years of my career.

Many of us are pretty worried about getting into medical school. That's all the pre-meds. While I agree that it's not really right for us to bash the OP, we do have a hard time believing that she had a chance that many of us are worried about never having. At least, I am, as a re-applicant. It does piss me off a little bit when people throw away those chances. That's all. I don't know the circumstances and I'm sure I'm not justified in being all mean and judgmental, but there it is. That's why some of us have those attitudes. I'm sure when we're in medical school, etc, we'll be looking at these threads and reacting the same way you are - disbelief at how angry and aggressive people can be.

Next time, before judging how much character and integrity people have based off of posts on SDN, you should take your own advice. Because otherwise it makes you sound like a giant hypocrite.

you folks are harsh. to the OP...think long and hard about Morehouse. I second what others have said about that being your best shot. If another medschool fits better (ie. is closer to home and your support network...as is important with a child) think about getting someone from Morehouse (dean of student affairs, etc) to write a letter for you describing the circumstances. Sure it would have been better to take a LOA for the pregnancy, but everyone makes mistakes. I would point that out to all the premeds on here bashing the OP. I hope your glass house have perfect MCAT score and great GPAs.

We're judgmental? How do you expect the adcoms to be? The OP asked us to give her our opinion, she asked us to judge her, and we did so according to how we believe adcoms will judge her. She asked, specifically, about her chances of getting into a med school given her circumstances, and we offered our honest opinions.

Let's not forget the irony that permeates your entire post either. You judge us as having no character and integrity, you judge the OP as stupid(which is exactly how we judged, no?), right after you point out how nothing is "like a judgmental ass on the Internet."

Come on.. Lets get this pre-med vs. medical student crap out of this thread. If you're all raged up b/c you performed poorly as an undergrad student, and you're having a hard time getting in, focus that energy into academics and you'll soon be one of our "most junior colleagues".

So much anger on SDN when it comes to the pre-med students. The med students are generally too tired to try and start a fight.

Come on.. Lets get this pre-med vs. medical student crap out of this thread. If you're all raged up b/c you performed poorly as an undergrad student, and you're having a hard time getting in, focus that energy into academics and you'll soon be one of our "most junior colleagues".

So much anger on SDN when it comes to the pre-med students. The med students are generally too tired to try and start a fight.

So what? This will always be true.

Alright, since people are clearly starting to hate me, I'll clarify my position.

No, I'm not obnoxious (seriously)!. If I were, I wouldn't be teaching MCAT courses. I wouldn't have been hired. I'm a pretty patient person when dealing face-to-face.

What I'm trying to say is that it is only natural that pre-meds on this thread are more angry/obnoxious than the med students. Someone defined exactly why. Pre-meds are obsessing over getting in, and med students are already in so they don't care. That's the natural order of things. Once I'm in med school, I probably won't even bother replying on threads like this. I won't care. For now, though, just the stress of getting in causes many of us to be more aggressive/angry than we should be. I agree it's not the best attitude. I'm just saying that it's natural and should be expected. Every year pre-meds turn into med students. At some point in your life, all of you med students felt like current pre-meds feel. And you know it. Maybe you didn't bash people on SDN, but you probably did something else.

Anyway, as far as this actual thread goes, it's mob mentality. Just like many other threads. People jump at the opportunity to criticize someone and all of a sudden it becomes the cool thing to do. That's internet forums, guys.

Also, regarding the OP, I think the reason it was kind of sensational is that through the OP's reasoning it becomes clear that she didn't really recognize exactly how big of a mistake she made. That' all. Everyone makes mistakes but it's really important to acknowledge them. She left Morehouse, and said it was because of the pregnancy. But then she said she wanted to go to med school somewhere closer to home, i.e. UCF. And then the bashing began, because we're all like "What?! you left under false pretenses!". So yeah, that's really why people were being harsh. If you think about it, somebody who reallllly wanted to go to Morehouse, didn't get in because the OP got in. And the OP clearly didn't want to go to Morehouse (and I'm not speculating, I'm just inferring from her posts).

So...I think the people bashing those of us bashing the OP should also take a step back and think about what's going on here. I'm perfectly willing to say maybe I'm taking out some frustration on people like the OP who had a chance and threw it away. That's probably not the right thing to do. But you guys should really consider all the angles before judging others for being too judgmental. It destroys all credibility, see.

I don't really care to argue this anymore. Just in the future, when you interview, try to come off as a humble, respectful, and compassionate person. Will it always be easy? No! But, for all you know, this person could have been at the top of her class, got in to Morehouse, and unexpectedly got pregnant. Perhaps her boyfriend/husband moved out? Maybe she had to move to Florida to have her family help her out with the child. Real life isn't always so black and white, as some have eluded to.

There's no telling what the OP's full story is, and without that, most of us are hesitant to stand on a pulpit and condemn her for her actions. Plus, she worked just as hard (if not harder) as you have done to get where she is today, and deserves a bit of respect for what she has accomplished.

Don't be so quick to judge other people's decisions, just because you are jealous of the opportunities that they have, and frustrated with the opportunities that you let slide by (earlier in your education).

I didnt read the whole thing, but it seems like the OP didn't even attempt to get a LOA and think things through, but just bailed. So, I cannot really blame those that are bashing her for that decision. Because, quite frankly, if I were a pre-med trying to get in and saw someone toss away their seat, I would be alittle annoyed as well.